Grrrrrrrr@Garmin

I had the same problem with my original model Vista earlier this year but it was more like 6 years so I didn't mind quite as much. Its had a good innings and been pretty reliable but I did end up with two dead lines of pixels on the screen after a couple of years. Didn't stop me using it though. I really looked after it but always thought the joystick was a likely to be the weak link.

Do you have any idea how long they guarentee their work for when its been repaired?

If you check back through the postings you'll find that Garmin service is about the best of any company in the world. Sure, they quote a fee but there is a very, very strong chance that the device will be replaced with a brand new one at no charge. On two occasions we have had to return GPS devices to Garmin for service. One was many years old and had been purchased by a friend in Canada. Second was our own GPS12XL, at least ten years old. Both were replaced free with brand new items; the first one while we waited at their offices and our own one by courier delivery in a couple of days.