Suspicious Men Near School Were Playing Internet Game

Why is the typical responce to learning that they are doing something harmless "Leave, Leave now, don't come back"?

It looks from the article as though they were running across peoples' yards...I would be happy to have had local police ask them to leave and not come back if they were running around my yard in the middle of the night...

Why is the typical response to defend the rights of boneheads to be boneheads?

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Why is the typical responce to learning that they are doing something harmless "Leave, Leave now, don't come back"?

It looks from the article as though they were running across peoples' yards...I would be happy to have had local police ask them to leave and not come back if they were running around my yard in the middle of the night...

Jamie - NFA

Running through peoples yards is a bit much, especially late at night. Still, the police responce wasn't "Knock that crap off and stick to public areas" It was "Leave, Leave Now".

Jamie - NFA

Running through peoples yards is a bit much, especially late at night. Still, the police responce wasn't "Knock that crap off and stick to public areas" It was "Leave, Leave Now".

you say potato... :laughing:

they were doing something wrong, something stupid...the police could have arrested or cited them for a bunch of piddly stuff but didn't...

Jamie - NFA

First of all, the article is brutal. Calling the activity a "Bizarre Internet Game", and even cracking on one of the participants for "living with his mom". Funny stuff, actually.

We have no idea if this was geocaching though.

But say it is. These guys are indeed boneheads, running around near a school and in people's yards at 11:00 PM. We do not have the right to arrogantly play this game anywhere, anytime we want.

Where I come from, most City, Town, County and smaller State Parks are open only dawn to dusk. If you're in them outside these hours geocaching, You're a bonehead, and giving us (collectively) a bad name. Not to mention breaking the law, and subject to a citation from law enforcement authorities.

Trespassing and disturbing the peace in a residential neighborhood, at the time when most people are going to bed or are already IN bed, are illegal AND not exactly "harmless" activities.

If they were running around in MY bushes, I wouldn't have bothered with calling the police, I'd have set my dogs on them. (They don't bite, but they would have let those f-wits know exactly how unwelcome they were;.)

And it sounds to me like the police let them off easy, since they would have been perfectly justified if they'd arrested them.

Does this thread have anthing to do with geocaching?

The OP seems to think it could be confused with geocaching because the eejits involved apparently used GPS units; I don't see it, myself.

However, it CAN be related to geocaching in terms of the way that some geocachers think there's nothing wrong with placing caches where the caching activity will disturb private homeowners, never mind the concept of common courtesy.

Edited by cimawr
Trespassing and disturbing the peace in a residential neighborhood, at the time when most people are going to bed or are already IN bed, are illegal AND not exactly "harmless" activities.
I think we will both agree that people simply walking across your front yard or being loud at night are 'virtually' harmless, if not completely harmless.
If they were running around in MY bushes, I wouldn't have bothered with calling the police, I'd have set my dogs on them. (They don't bite, but they would have let those f-wits know exactly how unwelcome they were;.)
I don't know what a f-wit is, nor do I care, but your neighbors would quite possibly call the cops on you for disturbing the peace, if you did so (not to mention any leash law violations).
And it sounds to me like the police let them off easy, since they would have been perfectly justified if they'd arrested them.
I don't know where you live, but I think it would be pretty unlikely that the police in any jurisdiction would haul someone in in these circumstances. Perhaps the men would be cited in some jurisdictions, but arrested? I don't think so.
However, it CAN be related to geocaching in terms of the way that some geocachers think there's nothing wrong with placing caches where the caching activity will disturb private homeowners, never mind the concept of common courtesy.

Unless people are entering someone's front yard and placing caches in their shrubs, I don't see the connection.

I think we will both agree that people simply walking across your front yard or being loud at night are 'virtually' harmless, if not completely harmless.

No, we won't agree on that. If I have to get up at 4:30 in the morning and drive 65 miles, and some immature moron decides that his "fun" is more important than either common courtesy or obeying noise ordinances, I don't consider it "harmless".

Walking across a front lawn doesn't enter into it; that's not what these eejits were described as doing.

I don't know what a f-wit is, nor do I care, but your neighbors would quite possibly call the cops on you for disturbing the peace, if you did so (not to mention any leash law violations).

Hardly. All but one of my neighbors also have dogs, and nobody would consider it "disturbing the peace" if my dogs were barking at intruders on my property.

As far as leash laws, which part of "in my bushes" did you fail to comprehend? Leash laws (which my dogs are exempt from in any case) don't apply on private property.

I don't know where you live, but I think it would be pretty unlikely that the police in any jurisdiction would haul someone in in these circumstances. Perhaps the men would be cited in some jurisdictions, but arrested? I don't think so.

Non sequiter, since I never said it was "likely" that they would have "hauled them in"; only that they could have if they'd wanted to.

Unless people are entering someone's front yard and placing caches in their shrubs, I don't see the connection.

I didn't expect that YOU would, but plenty of other people agree with me about caches placed too close to private homes. Again, it's the concept of common courtesy.

A couple of thoughts:

Based on your posts in this thread, I picture you standing on your front lawn in black socks and sandles yelling at the neighborhood kids.

What's an eejit? Never mind, It's probably something else I don't want to know.

Why would some dogs be exempt from leash laws? Are laws only for people that you don't like, not for you?

Finally, I continue to disagree with those that think it is 'common courtesy' to avoid being within eyeshot of a private home. On their private property is clearly wrong; within view of their property is not wrong. We'll have to disagree on this one. Again.

Edited by sbell111

Does this thread have anthing to do with geocaching? Perhaps it should be posted in the shirtless egg tossing forums.

Directly no. But if you are caught night caching the response is about the same. "Leave, Leave now" instead of "Boy am I ever glad that some upstanding citizens are on our streets at odd ours keeping the real riff raff at bay. Thank you, thank you very much, but stay out of the park, it closed at dusk"

The police are here to enforce laws, not create them. Running around shirtless and in black pants at night is not against the law. Tresspassing is, being in some parks after dusk is a minor infraction. Still the game they were playing itsn't, being out after dark isn't, being around private residences on a public road isn't.

I'm not saying the homewoners were wrong to phone it in, they did the right thing. I'm not going to say the kids were 100% in the right if they were actually running through yards (that's an alligation and people who pone things in do exagerate) but t he game and being out is fine. So is night caching.

The world turns 24/7. Criminals may prefer the night but there is nothing wrong with regular citizens being out at night either.

Does this thread have anthing to do with geocaching?

Nor will there ever be any shortage of people willing to find it, in the pursuit of the almighty Smiley. I like to call them the "find anything anyone places anywhere crowd". Unfortunately, in my experience, they represent 98%+ of geocachers.

I forgot to mention, suspicion falls where it will. There is nothing wrong in reporting oddly behaving cops who are wandering about neighborhoods exhibiting the signs of a terrorist or criminal.

You know, driving slowly like they are canvasing, entering information into a laptop, using GPS, being out at odd hours, parking for long periods of time in the same spot, demonstrating harrasing behavor to those in their vicinity designed to get them to move on.

That's what we are supposed to do after all. Not judge the situation, just report it and let the pro's handle it.

It never occured to me that cops would demonstrate as many suspicious behavors as geocachers, but there it is - in black and white.

Based on your posts in this thread, I picture you standing on your front lawn in black socks and sandles yelling at the neighborhood kids.

Not at all. I like kids; even if I think they're up to something they shouldn't be, my first reaction is to go talk to them nicely.

What's an eejit? Never mind, It's probably something else I don't want to know.

Phonics is your friend. :laughing:

Why would some dogs be exempt from leash laws?

Training.

Are laws only for people that you don't like, not for you?

Non-sequiter - or projecting, perhaps. Exempt means exactly that; there's a clause in our local leash ordinance which exempts certain dogs under certain circumstances.

Finally, I continue to disagree with those that think it is 'common courtesy' to avoid being within eyeshot of a private home.

Another non-sequiter. Neither I, nor anyone else, has said that one should avoid being within eyeshot of a private home.

Running around shirtless and in black pants at night is not against the law. Tresspassing is, being in some parks after dusk is a minor infraction. Still the game they were playing itsn't, being out after dark isn't, being around private residences on a public road isn't.

Running through people's yards is, as is creating a disturbance, as is making noise after (in most communities) 11 pm. Once again, it boils down to common courtesy and common sense.

Running around shirtless and in black pants at night is not against the law. Tresspassing is, being in some parks after dusk is a minor infraction. Still the game they were playing itsn't, being out after dark isn't, being around private residences on a public road isn't.

Running through people's yards is, as is creating a disturbance, as is making noise after (in most communities) 11 pm. Once again, it boils down to common courtesy and common sense.

You made a couple of assumptions. First that they were running through people yards. They may or may not have been. More than a few people who would call and report things are willing to lie about what they are seeing to get a better resonce. Also noise can be cured be it a party, or a internet war game played in stealth. If your neighbor parties too loud they may be told to pipe it down, but they won't be told to leave, leave now, go away.

You are missing the real point. There is nothing wrong with being out late and playing a game on the streets. Yes you will get approached by LEO's if obeserved but that's the risk you take. What you should not have to do is "Leave, Leave Now, Do Not pass go, do not collect $200".

It does boil down to common courtesy and common sense. The split may not be quite as you like it. Those kids being dorks and playing their game, may very well have prevented a rape just by their presence in the area. You don't know but the truth is there is nothing wrong with being out at night for any reason you choose. The fact that someone is uncomfortable with having them 'around' is irrelevent until a law is broken, or a line is crossed.

...Why would some dogs be exempt from leash laws? Are laws only for people that you don't like, not for you?...

Some working dogs are exempt. Guide dogs, probably police dogs etc. These dogs are very well trained and can't do their job on a leash (all the time).

Training alone would not normally excempt a dog. Some ordanances allows "under control" to mean leash or voice control. It's going to depend on where you live.

Just for fun, I looked up our local law. Municipal Code section 10-205 (running at large prohibited), states: "It shall be unlawful for any owner, as defined herein, or other person who has control or custody over a dog, whether such control or custody shall be temporary or otherwise, to allow a dog to run at large." Section 10-201 defines "running at large" to mean "a dog who is off the premises of the owner and that is not under control of an owner by leash as defined herein."

As I read it, if a dog is not on the owner's property, it must be on a leash. Obviously, other localities will have differing laws. My previous posts were colored by the expectations of my community.

$0.02 from a local:

Haggarty High School is in the District I patrol. (Seminole County Sheriff's Office, District 4) In Florida, it is a crime to be on school property without a valid reason. This crowd was breaking the law from the moment they arrived. Florida also has a law titled "Loitering & prowling" which was written vague enough that these guys couldv'e been charged with it. Fortunately for those guys, the deputies I work with are more concerned with preventing real crimes then in using existing laws to arrest folks who aren't causing a great deal of harm. I can assure you the complainants were asked for their input prior to these guys being told to leave.

$0.02 from a local:

Haggarty High School is in the District I patrol. (Seminole County Sheriff's Office, District 4) In Florida, it is a crime to be on school property without a valid reason. This crowd was breaking the law from the moment they arrived. Florida also has a law titled "Loitering & prowling" which was written vague enough that these guys couldv'e been charged with it. Fortunately for those guys, the deputies I work with are more concerned with preventing real crimes then in using existing laws to arrest folks who aren't causing a great deal of harm. I can assure you the complainants were asked for their input prior to these guys being told to leave.

Excellent to hear from a local! And I imagine the complaintants being asked for their input is standard operating procedure in such cases (even though it didn't occur to me before :laughing: ).

Any idea what the shirtless, egg-tossing, black pants wearing game that requires the use of a GPS was?

$0.02 from a local:

Most schools allow the use of their property for recreational purposes. They probably don't allow it after dusk like most parks but you would have to look it up. It varies by each school or school district. You are dead on though about loitering laws. Those laws are written entirly so police can make deadbeats and undesirables go away. Because you can't define deadbeat, undesirables, or even loitering in clear terms the laws are vague they could probably apply to anyone at all as they go about their daily lives even if they don't whip off their shirts and launch into a game of nocturnal GPS related egg tossing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Does this thread have anthing to do with geocaching? Perhaps it should be posted in the shirtless egg tossing forums.

Directly no. But if you are caught night caching the response is about the same. "Leave, Leave now" instead of "Boy am I ever glad that some upstanding citizens are on our streets at odd ours keeping the real riff raff at bay. Thank you, thank you very much, but stay out of the park, it closed at dusk"

I was "caught" caching at night in an alley behind a business. I wasn't interfering with the business or any of it's property but I was behind it in the alley at around 10:30 PM. I was busted by two cop cars with 3 cops and a LOT of lights. I explained what I was doing and showed them the cache. They said goodnight and got into their cars and left. I wasn't breaking any laws and there was no reason for them to say "Leave, Leave now" as you seem to think would happen. I had a good laugh about it with friends. It seems to me that you may have a very negative opinion of law enforcement that is carrying over here.

If these folks had been in MY neighborhood I would have called the cops. I would want them rousted. They were tresspassing on private property in the middle of the night and hiding in bushes. In that case, the same cops who were polite to me would have been justified in running these guys off.

What kind of country is it where shirtless egg tossing is not a valid reason.

It's a sad day when nocturnal, shirtless egg tossers are harassed for playing their game. :P:o:P

Yes. I guess I'll just have to be more careful. :o

Mybe tomatoes are okay?

I hear there are some nocturnal, egg-tossing, black pants wearing, GPS using punks in the next town over. Except they wear their shirts while playing. The first group doesn't like the way they play the game, and think it is lame :blink:

You made a couple of assumptions. First that they were running through people yards. They may or may not have been. More than a few people who would call and report things are willing to lie about what they are seeing to get a better resonce. Also noise can be cured be it a party, or a internet war game played in stealth. If your neighbor parties too loud they may be told to pipe it down, but they won't be told to leave, leave now, go away.

You are missing the real point. There is nothing wrong with being out late and playing a game on the streets. Yes you will get approached by LEO's if obeserved but that's the risk you take. What you should not have to do is "Leave, Leave Now, Do Not pass go, do not collect $200".

It does boil down to common courtesy and common sense. The split may not be quite as you like it. Those kids being dorks and playing their game, may very well have prevented a rape just by their presence in the area. You don't know but the truth is there is nothing wrong with being out at night for any reason you choose. The fact that someone is uncomfortable with having them 'around' is irrelevent until a law is broken, or a line is crossed.

I just reread the article and below is a quote from it:

"Neighbors watched as the men sprinted through yards, hid in bushes and hung out near the school. They apparently were all wearing black pants and no shirts."

It states clearly that the kids were witnessed running through yards. It doesn't specifically say they were on school property but i would betcha a whole quarter that they were. The outside of some school buildings make for a great place to play war games. My elemntary school was the place of choice for all the kids to meet up at for hide and seek, sports, and playing army. These young men may not have been doing anything wrong but they still needed to be told to leave if they were in fact on school property at 2300 hours.

I'm not a paranoid person but i would certainly either find out what was going on myself or call the law in to investigate if this ever happened around here.

"Neighbors watched as the men sprinted through yards, hid in bushes and hung out near the school. They apparently were all wearing black pants and no shirts."

It states clearly that the kids were witnessed running through yards. It doesn't specifically say they were on school property but i would betcha a whole quarter that they were. The outside of some school buildings make for a great place to play war games. My elemntary school was the place of choice for all the kids to meet up at for hide and seek, sports, and playing army. These young men may not have been doing anything wrong but they still needed to be told to leave if they were in fact on school property at 2300 hours.

I'm not a paranoid person but i would certainly either find out what was going on myself or call the law in to investigate if this ever happened around here.

And I've read articales about geocaching that say the boxes are buried :blink:

Unless one of the people that was actually there wrote the piece its second or third hand, he said that she said that... :o

Can't we just let this thread die?

If TheWhiteUrkel were to post to this thread, I bet he would be interested in what website the egg tossers used. I bet he would like that game.

Egg tossing makes no sense to me, but some folks seem to like it.

My 17 y.o. son came home with two 60-count cases of eggs two weeks ago.

I asked him what he planned to do with 10 dozen eggs, he replied that he was going to egg a 'friends' house!

I explained the many reasons why he was going to do no such thing, and gave him until the expiration date to eat the 120 eggs.

He's almost done. He may never eat another egg, but I bet he won't throw any either! :blink:

Ed

Several times in my life I have been a first person witness to an event that made the papers.

Never have I read a newsreport on something I personally witnessed where the reporter got the facts straight, they are always so far from reality you can't believe anything they say. :blink:

....I just reread the article and below is a quote from it:

If they were in yards, that's one thing. If they weren't, that's another. Schools are great open space and have nice play grounds. Of course people gravitate towards them to play games. I take my kids and play baseball There is nothing wrong with playing GPS war games at night, there is nothing wrong with investigating it. There is something wrong with being told to get the hell out of dodge if they were not doing anything wrong. That's my point, I'm not going to change it. If they were running through yards (and that's not a bet I'd take) then fine, they were told to go home and think about it. No problem.

Some cachers have posted about being questioned by the police and had good experiences. Fine, I've found the older I get the more likley that is. Looking back the younger I was though the more likely I was to be told to get my butt home.

....Several times in my life I have been a first person witness to an event that made the papers.

Never have I read a newsreport on something I personally witnessed where the reporter got the facts straight, they are always so far from reality you can't believe anything they say. :blink:

I have given papers rock solid information and spelled things out for them so they do get it right and they got it wrong. It's a risk of the trade.

I read the report that Deputy Walker wrote. The news article was fairly close. The kids were running through people's yards and hiding in their shrubbery as they hurled eggs at one another, and they were on school property after hours. No one wanted to prosecute, and Eddie figured, "No harm/no foul". Technically they were breaking several laws and could've been arrested, but Eddie and I share the belief that, not everybody who breaks the law needs to go to jail.

I explained the many reasons why he was going to do no such thing, and gave him until the expiration date to eat the 120 eggs.

He's almost done. He may never eat another egg, but I bet he won't throw any either! :(

Ed

HAH ha ha haaa! "Hey Ed, what's that smell?" "oh, that's just Jamey...."

Some working dogs are exempt. Guide dogs, probably police dogs etc. These dogs are very well trained and can't do their job on a leash (all the time).

Training alone would not normally excempt a dog. Some ordanances allows "under control" to mean leash or voice control. It's going to depend on where you live.

Exactly. My local ordinance contains two clauses which exempt my dogs. It exempts hunting dogs and dogs in training for hunting, and it also states that "dogs in public must be controlled by leash or otherwise"; verbal control is included in "otherwise". Since I have plenty of documentation to the fact that my dogs can be controlled with verbal and hand signals**, and can also easily demonstrate said control, there you go.

Which, btw, doesn't mean that I don't use leashes where appropriate. :ph34r: Keeping off-leash control requires always keeping attention on the dogs, and sometimes it's best to leash them to be on the safe side, and/or to make others comfortable.

**Both are double champions in the sport of dog agility (and yes, Sbell, dog agility IS a sport by any definition of the word except "mutant" :laughing: ), and I have ample documentation to that effect.

He's almost done. He may never eat another egg, but I bet he won't throw any either! :ph34r:

I love it. That's a PERFECT example of "logical consequences"! :laughing:

(After all, you couldn't let all those eggs go to waste, now could you? :ph34r: )