Advanced Technical Rescue

Lt32

We just got the new issue of Advanced Technical Rescue at the fire station yesterday. As I was thumbing through it I came upon the training section of it and found an article about geocaching. The magazine is advocating using geocaching as a way for Search and Rescue units to get more familiar with using GPS, maps and compasses. It's a fun way to train as it breaks up the training routine and provides something diffrent to do. Learning as you go while caching is one thing, in a SAR mission you have to know how to use it before leaving the station.

We've been using geocaching as a means to teach our team members about GPSr use since I discovered this site. A sister SAR team uses it, as well. To top it all off, I usually take one of my search dogs with me when I'm caching, and he's developing into an article recovery dog because of the trips-- he's finding caches that I can't find, following scent trails to the cache. It's nice to know geocaching can serve multiple purposes!