Our cache is gone

wolfbait

Today my dads first cache "have a blast" was muggled. At first I thought that some muggle had just taken the container until my dad explained what all was missing. The cache was hidden in a memorial cannon on our city triangle, today the cache and even the cannon was gone. :huh:

This is no simple task considering that that cannon is made of cast iron and that the wheels were locked and broken. Good news is that we got an E-mail from a crew of men who today moved the cannon to a shop to be referbished saying that they were stunned to find a cache stuffed down the barrel. We are just glad that our first cache is still safe and intact

Same thing happened to me. I have an offset cache that uses a date on a Revolutionary War era cannon to give you the cache coordinates. All was well for 2years, but then I started getting DNFs. Turns out the cannon disappeared. It was gone for about 4 months then re-appeared so I re-activated the cache.

Not sure where it went, or why, but it's been back for quite some time now.

I had a cache on an old Fotomat kiosk in a mall parking lot. The thing had been sitting there for 25+ years. Then I came along and put a cache on it, and a month later they demolish it. Drove by one day and there was nothing but a hole in the pavement. Not sure when they did it, and not sure if anyone hunted it and found the whole darn thing gone. Oh well, hazards of caching...sometimes large, supposedly permanent objects just vanish along with their caches.

I had a cache on an old Fotomat kiosk in a mall parking lot. The thing had been sitting there for 25+ years. Then I came along and put a cache on it, and a month later they demolish it. Drove by one day and there was nothing but a hole in the pavement. Not sure when they did it, and not sure if anyone hunted it and found the whole darn thing gone. Oh well, hazards of caching...sometimes large, supposedly permanent objects just vanish along with their caches.

:huh:

We went looking for a cache in a park. We found a container with a log, but it didn't match the description of the container (color was wrong). The cache page led us to think it should have been on a fence surrounding a baseball field. There was no baseball diamond. There was no fence. We found the cache on the ground. Turns out we found the original cache, that had been accidentally dropped down into the fence post long before and later replaced. The owner had fund with that archive note!

Another time we saw a DNF on a cache we had done. It was a hard find, so we thought that the folks had just missed it, even though they said they had looked "everywhere"---until we saw the statue that had previously held the cache--in another part of town entirely (and ten feet from another cache!). We had fun telling the cache owner why folks couldn't find their cache any more!

We once looked for the final stage of a multi for about 15 minutes. The clue basically implied it was in a bush. After a while of not being able to zero in a spot between two bushes, we finally figured out that the entire third bush where it was supposed to be was gone. It was pretty easy to figure out once we realized that the ground was all torn up and we found the camoed lid to the container on the ground!

Today my dads first cache "have a blast" was muggled. At first I thought that some muggle had just taken the container until my dad explained what all was missing. The cache was hidden in a memorial cannon on our city triangle, today the cache and even the cannon was gone. :laughing:

This is no simple task considering that that cannon is made of cast iron and that the wheels were locked and broken. Good news is that we got an E-mail from a crew of men who today moved the cannon to a shop to be referbished saying that they were stunned to find a cache stuffed down the barrel. We are just glad that our first cache is still safe and intact

That is one funny story. :unsure:

We've had a cache at a local park for 2 years. A rarity in the area, this is a fairly wild park, not neatly mowed and manicured. There have been various bits of survey tape and stakes all over the area the entire time. Someone recently DNF'd it, and I went to check. Sure enough, the entire tree it was in is gone...along with many other trees, and a road is being built right where it was. We'll find a new place to put a new cache, since we do like bringing people to that park.

Must have been the VW bus driven by the Lybian terrorists that crashed into it during it's chase after the Delorean time machine. :blink:

I had a cache on an old Fotomat kiosk in a mall parking lot. The thing had been sitting there for 25+ years. Then I came along and put a cache on it, and a month later they demolish it. Drove by one day and there was nothing but a hards of caching...sometimes large, supposedly permanent objects just vanish along with their caches.

OK Show of hands - how many DID NOT know what a Fotomat Kiosk was?

I haven't seen one for awhile - last was was a drive up coffee kiosk.

I had a cache on an old Fotomat kiosk in a mall parking lot. The thing had been sitting there for 25+ years. Then I came along and put a cache on it, and a month later they demolish it. Drove by one day and there was nothing but a hards of caching...sometimes large, supposedly permanent objects just vanish along with their caches.

OK Show of hands - how many DID NOT know what a Fotomat Kiosk was?

I haven't seen one for awhile - last was was a drive up coffee kiosk.

We have fotomats, coffee/expresso and locksmiths....all in little drive up kiosks!

Today my dads first cache "have a blast" was muggled. At first I thought that some muggle had just taken the container until my dad explained what all was missing. The cache was hidden in a memorial cannon on our city triangle, today the cache and even the cannon was gone. :blink:

That exact thing happened to me!!!!

I had a cache hidden in a cannon. The cache got muggled, I replaced it, then the entire cannon disappeared!!

The cannon showed back up a few weeks later, freshly painted, but the cache was long gone.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...83-fe0bea35e30c

Must have been the VW bus driven by the Lybian terrorists that crashed into it during it's chase after the Delorean time machine. :blink:

:o:P:P

BTW, I understood what Fotomat kiosk's are, just by the name and the fact that I am a photographer.

Today my dads first cache "have a blast" was muggled. At first I thought that some muggle had just taken the container until my dad explained what all was missing. The cache was hidden in a memorial cannon on our city triangle, today the cache and even the cannon was gone. :blink:

We had a cache on a cannon that had been in place for as long as our parents can remember...then, one day the cache, and the cannon, were gone!

Who moves cannons!?!?!?! :blink:

I have a multi cache that leads you to various coal mining spots in town, one is a statue of a mine mule. A while back it "wandered" across the small park it was in - so the traffic sign "behind it" changed to something else. You have to wonder what these statues do at night when we're not watching! :)

They sneak up behind you when you're not looking, much like the topiaries at the Stanley Hotel.

Just an update.

People around our community have noticed the cannon missing as well. Because of so many people asking "where did the cannon go?" Our local newspaper desided to do an article on the subject. On interviewing the maitenece people who moved the cannon our cache was brought up in conversation. The story quicky became a double purpose and now they have asked my dad if they can use his cache in the article. He said yes. How many people can say that their first cache made a major newspaper? This just gets better and better.

_wolfbait_

We looked for a virtual cache that was missing!

Blacksmith's Shop cache was a virtual we went looking for. Found the location and where we figured it should be. Talked with the people standing outside their home right nearby. Turns out they had donated the little building to the local historical society.

The historical society had hauled the entire building, contents and all, away to a nearby park just a week earlier.

I have a multi cache that leads you to various coal mining spots in town, one is a statue of a mine mule. A while back it "wandered" across the small park it was in - so the traffic sign "behind it" changed to something else. You have to wonder what these statues do at night when we're not watching! ;)

They sneak up behind you when you're not looking, much like the topiaries at the Stanley Hotel.

T- AxE

L - rEDrUM tRAvEL buG