Winter Caching question.

I do not know if this has been posted before, but doing a search I noticed it was not a recently discussed topic.

The subject basically is the question I am asking, do people go caching in the winter time. Are there recommended areas to do this caching, or just keep looking up the regular caches online. Of course proper attire is necessary, but I was just looking to get a general idea and people thoughts on the topic.

Thank you,

Rabid Piglet

I don't know about other areas of the world, but in Minnesota in our metro area, there's a decent amount of us that heavily cache in winter and do other things in the summer. Partially since our winters are so long, and partially because it gives us something to do besides huddle inside, but mostly because it's sometimes easier in winter depending on the cache :huh:

Things to look for (besides wearing proper gear of course) is anything that's listed "winter friendly". Another idea would be to look at older caches that have been found in the past in the winter, or just watch for new caches that pop up. All of those things make it more likely to be a decent cache for winter finding.

One of the things we've done around our metro area is something we call "WeekNIGHT caching". Basically someone in the area picks 2-3 new caches somewhere in the area, and we all meet at a parking spot nearby. We wander as a group to each cache to find it...and as each person finds it they try not to let on so others still search. Afterwards we all head to a local resturant nearby the caches and hang out to talk and eat for a while. It's a great way we've found to meet new cachers and have fun finding caches in winter. Usually on the coldest days we're only outside for an hour before the resturant, so we don't get too cold. All of this is done on our local forums, so it's not an "official" event, but the whole "go as group to find caches" isn't supposed to be an event anyway. We all just have fun and give the slow finders a hard time depending on how we're feeling that day.

Hope this helps ya out some, but yeah, caching is a year round event in Minnesota at least.

Celticwulf

I do not know if this has been posted before, but doing a search I noticed it was not a recently discussed topic.

The subject basically is the question I am asking, do people go caching in the winter time. Are there recommended areas to do this caching, or just keep looking up the regular caches online. Of course proper attire is necessary, but I was just looking to get a general idea and people thoughts on the topic.

Thank you,

Rabid Piglet

Winter caching is the BEST!!! No poison ivy, no snakes, no heat, and a mile long hike ain't bad at all.

The subject basically is the question I am asking, do people go caching in the winter time.

Sometimes winter caching is great -- the high-traffic areas that are full of people in the summer months are much more deserted and easier to search in peace. Normally I plan on doing more urban caches in the winter and concentrate on the mountain tops and more wilderness caches in the summer. That's just me though.

I typically just mentally add one star to the Terrain and Difficulty.

With the shorter number of daylight hours it makes for some very satisfying finds uncovering a cache in the snow and the dark...

Well, we're new to caching and Nova Scotia. I hope we can find some good winter caches as I think I am addicted. As I posted for a cache near home: "Well, out we were sailing on a high from finally finding Kingston Family Trail. We came down the slope and I vaguely recall hearing LibelleRotts saying behind me "I think we're on crack" as we fell tree to tree down the slope." Anyway, I think the "Weeknight" caches are a great idea, maybe I'll see if I can talk a few locals into placing some in town with me and we could start this for the winter :( I think this is a great hobby (or addiction :huh: ) and I plan on being out in the winter, unless we get snow over the roof and then I may have to get the girls to hide caches in the house :huh:

Great answers! Love that weekNIGHT caching concept!

Winter caching is a blast:

- Muggle interaction is generally reduced...

- Once the ground & water freeze solid there's no bugs or mud!

- Moose are more visible when there's no leaves on the brush...

- Bears are sleeping peacefully... (except those restless male polar bears...)

- Cross-country skiing to a cache or series of caches is healthy fast fun...

- Snowmobiling to the cache can be even faster fun!

- Sweat dries quickly (wear polypro / fleece in layers... don't be a heat casualty!)

- New caches get held until there's a snowstorm to hide the placer's tracks...

- Once someone's FTF'd the cache there's a trail for everyone else! :huh:

And if you're really into winter like the Ladybug Kids you take your dogs along to cache...

0cc1849f-faa3-40c9-874f-a4b3b9746838.jpg

That's Daddy Ladybugs behind Ingrid, Mons, & Jack in a Skijor Race at Creamers Field in Fairbanks Alaska.

You can tell the canines are having a blast! One of Anchorage's dog parks has a cache dedicated to this

sport - SKIJOR!

Winter caching is the BEST!!! No poison ivy, no snakes, no heat, and a mile long hike ain't bad at all.

Not to mention no chiggers, ticks, or mosquitoes.

Don't count on that, I found a deer tick crawling on me last night after I took Buddy for his walk, and I've found ticks on him in February before when it hadn't been above freezing in weeks. Darned if I know where they come from but it is possible, just much less likely.