Freeware Photo Enhancing Package

Gralorn

I'm currently using Kodak for downloading my photos from digital camera, but its such a large program and more orientated towards online albums and sharing. I like its editing tools, but certainly looking for something freeware, a little better and straight forward that enables me to maintain the original photo, reduce it for web use, brightness, contrast, red eye, different looks ie; black & white, sepia, forest, faded edge, etc. Rutson told me of one he uses most satisfactorily, but I have forgotten what it was, he was impressed with its resources and cost - Free! can anyone assist. I do like to add pictures of caches and visits to them on my logs, no not spoilers. Also I would be interested in how to upload a photo to this forum from such an enhance program.

I suggested the Gimp in the first place, but Edgy is right, the learning curve is steep. The best all-in-one photo manager I know of in indeed Google Picassa. For a free, lightweight viewer with easy to use basic editing and colour correction, you can't go wrong with IrfanView 3.98.

Have discarded Kodak and now downloaded Picassa and Irfranview to play around with. First look quite impressed especially in Irfranview, never knew my photos looked so good when zoomed, if only they could stay that way some of the detail is brilliant. So will play around with these and see if I can get the hang of them. many thanks for your advice, Gimp did look a little technical for the likes of me, but I had a look!

thanks again. Off now to take some photo's of the Thames Path caches near Cricklade, six new ones been put out by Lydford Locators! :laughing::unsure::blink:

Have a look at Paint .net from http://www.getpaint.net/

I downloaded this, but, in the process, ZoneAlarm informed me that I had been stopped from accessing a known Spyware website. Is there some hidden link on the download page?

That's odd - I've re-checked and that is the official paint .net site. I'm not aware of any issues with it.

Maybe there is a hidden link?

Sorry about that - The link now seems to be directing you to 'Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006' which is indeed time limited.

I don't know why that happend but I guess it's because one application is replacing the other.

Please try here :

Microsoft Photo Story 3 for Windows XP

and if it fails to find Microsoft Photo Story 3 for Windows XP, try typing 'photo story' into the search box.

Browser

Edited by Browser