garmin or Magellan?

cookiedoe

Magellan tends to have better reception then Garmin (60/76C(S)x are the exception) as well as cheaper prices.

Best store price wise would be gpscentral.ca or one south of 49°

The main difference between the Explorist 200 and a eTrex Legend is that the legend can be connected to a computer and better maps can be uploaded.

I just purchased a Garmin 60CX from buy.com and the end price will be $287.00. The final price includes a $50.00 rebate from garmin and a $15.00 first time buyer coupon from buy.com. I can't wait to get it on friday. I upgraded from the Garmin Legend C, which was my first GPSr. I liked the Legend C but the 60CX is a much better upgrade. I don't know much about the Magellen but I do know that people that I cached with had a better read with it that the legend.

My 2 cents. Sorry for the ramble.

I have had both an Explorist 400 and now have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSX. The 60csx in my opinion beats the Explorist 400 hands down. There are some features that this unit has that the Explorist 400 does not, but with the things that they have in common, this is the better unit (but you have to pay for it). The GPSmap 60csx looks like it is about a year or two ahead of Magellan with the Explorist units.

Here are a few things that I like about the 60Csx:

2 double A batteries are great, Energizer rechargeable last for me about 18 hours. If they go dead, just pop in some new ones. -- The Explorist used a rechargable battery that last about 15 hours. It will only used this specific battery, you can recharge it in the unit but if you are no where around an outlet then there you are, stuck.

Street routing. The unit gives you the option of street routing for shortest or fastest route. It give you audible prompts to let you know a turn is coming and also an enlarged preview of the turn. If you miss the turn it will automatically give you directions to correct your mistake. The Explorist does street routing but does not give you any options as to shortest or fastest route. It will not automatically correct your route if you have made a wrong turn and so far it does not seem to be as good at routing for truley the fastest route. The Explorist will only let you select a start and end point on street routing. The 60csx will let you select many points between your start and end.

Many different ways to find poi’s. By city, intersection, address, type of location, previously found poi’s, and others. I did actually like the way Explorist handles the poi's with the exception of the address option. Explorist is rather cumberson with the address option. The 60Csx handles this alot better in my opion.

Color screen is very bright and even changes to night mode automatically. The explorsist 400 had a monocrome screen that was also very easy to see. Both were no problem to see even in bright sunlight.

Reception is excellent. I compared it to my Explorist unit and found that the Garmin unit would pickup satellites faster; it would also pickup stronger signal under heavy cover. According to the units display the Explorist would show a lower degree of error by a couple of feet and I never completely lost signal with the Explorist but have dropped to 2d coverage before. I have never dropped below 3d coverage with the Garmin unit. I could never get a satellite connection inside my house or my office, but I could get one with the Garmin unit no problem. It would get signal almost as fast inside as it does outside. I am sure that some of this is due to the external antenna.

If you have the extra money this is the better buy, if you are not able to come up with the extra dollars the Explorist is still a good selection.

That is what I think. Hope it helps

2 double A batteries are great, Energizer rechargeable last for me about 18 hours. If they go dead, just pop in some new ones. -- The Explorist used a rechargable battery that last about 15 hours. It will only used this specific battery, you can recharge it in the unit but if you are no where around an outlet then there you are, stuck.

That's not entirely true as there are battery trays that you can purchase for $9:

eXplorist battery tray

Street routing. The unit gives you the option of street routing for shortest or fastest route. It give you audible prompts to let you know a turn is coming and also an enlarged preview of the turn. If you miss the turn it will automatically give you directions to correct your mistake. The Explorist does street routing but does not give you any options as to shortest or fastest route. It will not automatically correct your route if you have made a wrong turn and so far it does not seem to be as good at routing for truley the fastest route. The Explorist will only let you select a start and end point on street routing.

This is true and the reason why I still use my Map60 for "getting there."

Color screen is very bright and even changes to night mode automatically. The explorsist 400 had a monocrome screen that was also very easy to see. Both were no problem to see even in bright sunlight.

Whereas my Map60 is monochrome and the eXplorist is colour. I find the 500's color screen to be very vibrant, even in direct sunlight.

Reception is excellent. I compared it to my Explorist unit and found that the Garmin unit would pickup satellites faster; it would also pickup stronger signal under heavy cover.

I have been finding that the only way my Map60 would keep reception in dense, wet overhead tree cover, would be to attach a Gilsson external antenna, othewise it continually craps out. The eXplorist so far is amazing under the trees.

That being said, many stores have excellent return policies and if not satisfied, you can always return your purchase. I think that it comes down to your budget and personal preferences. No one GPSr will be 100% perfect. If I could combine the features on my eXplorist with the features on the Map60, we'd be close.

Make sure you look at features - be sure to get one that has the features you think you'll use. Take other activities such as hiking, boating, and fishing into account.

If you are buying a used unit, make sure it has WAAS capability!

Garmin and Magellan both make excellent units, they just work differently. You have to get to know their strengths and weakness and their little quirks. I think that Garmin menus are a bit easier to learn (more intuitive), but that just might be because the first unit I got was a Garmin so I'm more comfortable with them!

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters for you! :)

Happy Trails,

Hands down GARMIN. Besides the reasons given above and the fact that the newer "x" units hold a signal as well if not better than other units under tree cover (The one mentioned above is an older model), is the number one reasons why they appear to be so popular in GC as well as other applications and the first feature everyone should look at: Customer Service.

You can do a search of the threads and a repeated theme you will find is how fantastic they are about supporting their customers, often going above and beyond there already excellent stated policies. Couple this with the reliability of the units and the wide range of support from third party vendors, you really can't go wrong.

Edited by baloo&bd

Just like everyone else said, Magellan and Garmin both have good GPS handhelds. But I would give my vote to Garmin.

What sold me was the fact that you can use 2 AA" Batteries, in a Garmin, instead of a Li-ion battery pack or a clip case containing 3 AAA' batteries (found on Magellan eXplorist 400, 500(LE), 600). I've been reading a few threads on how the battery life of a Magellan unit is horribly low without the use of their Li-ion battery.

2 AA' NiMH batteries at 2100mAh each lasts about 18-32 hours depending on the Garmin Model. Plus AA' batteries can easily be found at a closest gas station or general store when out camping. I based this on the fact that I may be out camping one summer with no electricity to recharge my GPS. Carrying extra batteries will be more convenient than having to charge my GPS through a cigarrette lighter plug in my car overnight.

I purchased my Garmin eTrex Venture Cx from www.gpscentral.ca with the $50usd rebate from Garmin. The shipment was received the next day through Xpresspost.

But before I get flamed on and being called a pro-garmin magellan hater, I will have to say that I am impressed with the PC-Style filing system on Magellan eXplorists. SD card expandability is a plus compared to microSD cards on Garmin units (most of my eletronics use SD cards). I also have read that the Magellan was more accurate than Garmin but alot of factors may have determined that.

London Drugs have the new Magellan products at very good prices if you're interested in Magellan. Garmin handhelds, I find, are much cheaper online.

Edited by thechubbybunny

"That being said, many stores have excellent return policies and if not satisfied, you can always return your purchase. I think that it comes down to your budget and personal preferences. No one GPSr will be 100% perfect. If I could combine the features on my eXplorist with the features on the Map60, we'd be close."

one of the guys said this and I agree. If you could blend them together you could get a pretty close to perfect unit.

Something I have learned from watching the boards is that usually the best reception is usually better on the Explorist units except when it comes to the Garmin GPSmap 60csx. Seems to me alot of people would agree that Garmin GPSmap 60csx has the best reception. Seems to me that you can get a better, less expensive unit in an Explorist. But if you want the best unit out there then get the Garmin GPSmap 60csx.

Only thing I can see that I would like on my Garmin GPSmap 60csx that is on the Explorist 600 is the 3 axis compass and thermometer.

Chevy or Ford? Pepsi or Coke?

Read the forums for a few days.

Buy an Explorist at your local Wal-Mart. If you don't like it, take it back, then get a Garmin!

Go out with a few local cachers and see how they use their units.

Check "Garage Sale" for good deals!

It really does amount to what you like, want, and can afford!

But if you absolutely, positively MUST have good customer service, then you had bettered NOT buy a Magellan!

And 'yes' I have owned both!

My 2 bits! :P

Chevy or Ford? Pepsi or Coke?

Read the forums for a few days.

Buy an Explorist at your local Wal-Mart. If you don't like it, take it back, then get a Garmin!

Go out with a few local cachers and see how they use their units.

Check "Garage Sale" for good deals!

It really does amount to what you like, want, and can afford!

But if you absolutely, positively MUST have good customer service, then you had bettered NOT buy a Magellan!

And 'yes' I have owned both!

My 2 bits! :P

chevy unless it's a van, diet coke, and lowrance.....

but forgetting all product qualities aside i would consider whats the best for your area, wioth software.

I am a big lowrance fan... and i do a lot of foshing and tinkering around with electronics. The crowd seems to goto the garmin side mostly, maybe they are easier to use, or more easily available.

I would love to try out a magellan for a bit, or a different garmin.

I dunno about how good the idea is, but the rinos are combined radio gps.... and it seems like a cool getup

I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP76CSX from a local shop on Van. Island. They did an exact price match with GPSCENTRAL out of Calgary and I have the advantage of local shopping.

The people that I go caching with seem to feel mine is the most accurate unit in our small group. This is my first unit, but after a ton of research, quite a bit of hands on in various stores and a lot of reading in different forums, I feel it was the best bang for the buck right now.

Of course, that can change at any time.