Flooding

Peanuthead

Safety and damage to property are much more important of course, but I'm sure we are losing many caches to the flooding in the Pacific Northwest right now.

For sure. I'm pretty sure a few of mine are history. What might be kind of neat is if some of us who live near the rivers volunteered to go out and check on the caches close to us, and post a note on their status. After the water goes down, of course.

A cache of ours Confluence (gcffob) was washed away twice. We were able to find it both times by walking where the water flowed.

Both times, it was within 50 ft of the coords. We found and replaced the original cache both times The cache is still the original ammo can.

Waterproof? I have to say OH YEAH. The last maintenance run, we decided to tie it down and replace the container but it was still dry. Good stuff, huh?

I disabled one of mine last night. It sits within mere feet of the Cedar and in an area that had flooded last year. I have it chained to some stalks of what looks like bamboo. I don't know if that will hold it or not. I will probably get a chance to get out there and check it out Thursday afternoon. We shall see when I get there.

Yep...I bet my Cabin Fever is toast. I was watching the news & they were showing flooding at a house that is probably 200-300 feet from the cache. But I have hope after reading some of these posts. Dang, I should have tied it to something :blink: .

It is kind of a weird coincidence that there is bug in your cache called aqua ahoy. Be careful what your wish for, I guess.

0be5e2fa-3c4a-408e-bb84-fbc79b106dd1.jpg

Edited by John E Cache

For those of us who did the Wonderland/Carbon River geohike in September:

"In the northwest corner of the park, the Carbon River Road suffered so much damage it may not get rebuilt."

That's the road we took to Ipsut Creek campground, our start/end point.

From this story on all the damage to Rainier NP:

Rainier NP flood damage

Looks like I might have to find a new spot for my 3rd Annual Mt. Rainier Virtual Cache Hike.

For those of us who did the Wonderland/Carbon River geohike in September:

"In the northwest corner of the park, the Carbon River Road suffered so much damage it may not get rebuilt."

That's the road we took to Ipsut Creek campground, our start/end point.

From this story on all the damage to Rainier NP:

Rainier NP flood damage

At the bottom of that article it says "The road is frequently damaged by flooding, and the Park Service plans to eventually let it become a hiking trail, Taylor said." Guess that'll up the terrain ratings on any cache farther in.

I'm headed to check on one of mine. The rain caused some wood to swell and the last cacher couldn't replace it, so they set it on the ground...and the nearby creek is WAAAY up today. I think I have a cache-turned-ark now.

Visited the cache to rescue it...and it was floating about 20 feet away from its hiding spot with sticks still on top. To replace it I had to step in 1+ft deep water that would usually be much higher ground. Flooding is a toughie!

The Pipeline cache near Hood River may or may not be there, but worse, rumor has it that large portions of the pipeline itself may be damaged- and will probably not be replaced. :blink:

Don't think anybody's going to get down in there to check it out until the water recedes some--- and it would help if it would stop raining. Access roads were still closed today, and water was still high, though nowhere near what it was.

For pic and story:

HR News - Trestle Bridge

For News Video:

Katu News story

For comparison in drier weather:

My pics

Another one

Someone else's pic- slightly different view

Edited by Muggermots

We have two along the Duwamish River and the one on the east side was just barely above the river. Though it was tucked away in a good location, its either been washed away by the high water or thoroughly soaked. The west side one is hopefully high up enough to be safe.

The river is so muddy that Elliott Bay has a brown hue to it right now.