Have you done anything wild just to log a cache ?

One thing is sure that Geocachers do some realy crazy things just to get a cache :D

In out atum holliday ( october in Norway) i just had to find the cache BLACK BOX i Nebyen but the river had grown big after the heavy rain fall.

So what do you do in October , yes you vade out with naked feet :D

Kids was laughing wild watching carzy dad walking over :D

But we got the cache but man it was cold !

d56fa033-a945-4c2c-b4b3-7cf5c2fe58ef.jpg

My first night cache was like that. We were 50 miles up in the mountains and drove to about .75 mi from it. Started walking to it and had to cross 2 streams. I could jump across one, the other I had to "show some leg" and wet wade. When we got there, we discovered a road went right by it. Found the cache- had a great experience. It's still fun to laugh about with my brother.

Long story short, I bushwhacked about 1.5 miles through thick branches, weeds, and TONS of burrs... in my work-clothes (I work in an office)... about an hour before I had to be at work.

Two logs that tell the tale... since there was two in the direction I was going :huh:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...28-c4ade5266708

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6b-7900fcb16e31

To say the least... I didn't have time to change before going to work. You can connect the dots otherwise :cry:

Waded waist-deep across a slow-flowing river in April. Then took a DNF.

Climbed alone down a steep cliff with lots of loose rocks. Moved and searched for over an hour before struggling to the top for the next half hour. Took a DNF.

Went out after midnight on a park trail a couple days after an ice storm. I made it down the trail mostly OK, but getting back up was a lot of work. Plus my GPS batteries died so I was only guessing the direction (it was my early days of caching and I didn't know any better). Turns out the cache had been muggled a few days before (I was paperless and PDA'less, just going on the coords).

On caches I've placed:

Put a multi out over 5 hours of bushwacking including struggling through a quarter mile of thick 8' tall cattails as well as wooded areas, small ravines, thick brush, beach, hills, thorny brush and trees, rocks, marshy areas and about any other kind of terrain you can think of that's possible in Kansas.

I have one cache underwater at a small local lake in Kansas. To get it you have to pretty much submerge yourself up to your neck. Someone found it in late November. brrrr....

Well. I have climbed a cliffside in the dark with a little flashlight for a FTF, climbed another cliffside covered with ice and snow, climbed 30 or 35 feet up a tree, skinney-dipped across a lake to an island in April in Massachusettes, driven my Subaru down quad trails and through flooded roads, walked across a swamp to a cache meant to be found by boat, and probably others I have forgotten by now. I LOVE IT!!!!! LOL

On caches I've placed:

Put a multi out over 5 hours of bushwacking including struggling through a quarter mile of thick 8' tall cattails as well as wooded areas, small ravines, thick brush, beach, hills, thorny brush and trees, rocks, marshy areas and about any other kind of terrain you can think of that's possible in Kansas.

And here I thought Kansas was flat as a board. <_<

I recently decided to hit a few caches in my work neighborhood, which is about half an hour from home. And, of course, while I remembered my caching kit, I didn't remember a change of clothes. So, I'm tromping around in 8" of snow wearing a pair of dress shoes (no grip, no protection from snow), in the dark. Not fun. So not fun, that I did it again the next day. :blink:

Yep, my log at Where rivers still collide... and blitz I found to be quite entertaining, and probably one of those situations where I REALLY should have just turned back.

Log can be found here

Long and short of it: About 600 meter hike in Winnipeg winter weather (was about -20 celcius outside) through snow about knee-deep, without any kind of winter wear except a jacket, toque and some gloves. Pants? Soaked quickly. Boots? Think again... old shoes. LOOSE, old shoes. For the record: Snow shovels into said shoes very easily :)

Surprised I didn't get pneumonia, but we Winnipegers can take a lot of cold :D

EDIT: Added thought... I also actually had to log a DNF on my OWN DANG GEOCACHE due to complete idiocy and unpreparedness on my part. The log for THAT debacle can be found here. More winter fun, but with 1/4 the amount of winter gear. Or geocaching gear. Or anything, really :lostsignal:

Small portion of the aformentioned DNF log:

So, what does Kabuthunk bring with him? Why, the digital camera of course! He's taking pictures of the logbook, and to do this, one needs the digital camera. It just makes sense.

Thought that probably caused the most damage: "I know where it is. There's no reason to haul around the rest of my geocaching bag with me. I'll just take the camera alone."

Edited by Kabuthunk

The only crazy thing we've done to log a cache is go into the woods without a flashlight at GCY7AT. Wait, that was just stupid.

On the other side of the coin, we've done plenty of crazy things to place caches!

- In January I waded across a freezing river and fell, soaking my coat up to the elbows. That cache remains unfound. GC107F5

- Also this past winter, we crossed a river on a beaver dam in an attempt to place a huge ammo can on a 900 ft cliff. We didn't make it to the top yet so the cache is hidden until we can return.

- Last weekend we drove the Jeep on remote seasonal roads full of sink holes, running streams, soft mud, occasional snow/ice and huge rocks to place a cache. We broke a transmission mount on that little adventure. GC11P03

See you on the trails!