Combination locks?

Zeuser123

I'm thinking of putting up a cache near my place. But I want to keep muggles out since this cache will be the origin of many TBs I plan on putting out in the world.

I want to put a combination lock on it to keep the muggles out. The combination would be part of the cache name, in the description and hint. So geocachers could be able to open it up.

And no complicated puzzles either. I just want to put the combination out there for geocachers only.

Is this a good idea?

I've thought of doing something like that but the issues that I would see with it would be if muggles who also happen to be police or bomb squad personnel find it and can't get it open they may think it is something dangerous. Then again that's a risk even with unlocked caches.

My final word would be I think it's a pretty good idea as long as the combination is clearly given on the cache description (unless it's part of a puzzle) and isn't hard to manually work.

If the point of the lock is to keep non geocachers out, I think it may have the unintended affect of increasing the chance of your cache being stolen.

If someone stumbles on a box in the woods, opens it and reads the letter explaining that it is a geocache, there is a good chance he will leave it be. If however he happens on a locked box, chances are good he will take it home and get out the sledghammer or hacksaw to see what is inside.

I've seen this work OK in controlled environments, like the front of a business or museum, and placed with the landowner's permission. But I would not try it out in the middle of the woods. To a couple of 13 year old boys wandering around, a box with a lock on it is twice as attractive a target as just a box. If they find the cache and open it, there's a chance they won't destroy it. But a box that's locked is just screaming to be destroyed so they can discover what's so important that it needs to be locked up.

I put a luggage lock on a cache I hid in plain site but made the combination part of the cache name. Some people understood it and opened it easy, others were not so quick and forced the lock off.

Some people even thought it would be fun to change the combination to make it more difficult for the next guy.

I've heard that now the lock is loose enough to where anyone can just slide it off without unlocking it, but since the only purpose is to make it looked locked to a muggle walking by then it still works.

When you choose a lock, be sure to get one where the combination can't be easily changed or you'll be going out there to open it the hard way someday. People love to improve caches like this.

If the point of the lock is to keep non geocachers out, I think it may have the unintended affect of increasing the chance of your cache being stolen.

If someone stumbles on a box in the woods, opens it and reads the letter explaining that it is a geocache, there is a good chance he will leave it be. If however he happens on a locked box, chances are good he will take it home and get out the sledghammer or hacksaw to see what is inside.

Good point. A lock does hint at something valuable inside and some people could be tempted to find what it is.

I'm thinking of putting up a cache near my place. But I want to keep muggles out since this cache will be the origin of many TBs I plan on putting out in the world.

I want to put a combination lock on it to keep the muggles out. The combination would be part of the cache name, in the description and hint. So geocachers could be able to open it up.

And no complicated puzzles either. I just want to put the combination out there for geocachers only.

Is this a good idea?

I'd suggest a confrence with Tommy Trojan. He has quite a few caches out there with locks on them. He should be able to give you some pointers on installing locks to the containers.

We left home one morning on a 300 mile trip and left some of the cache page info at home. We were pleased with ourselves for finding one of the caches with coordinates only then disappointed a minute later when we saw it had a combo lock. A dnf with the container right in my hand!

I have 2 locked caches out.

One is actually rather hard to notice and it is a very public area. I've never had a problem with it.

The other is in the woods. I got an email from a kid about a year ago. Found it, looked me up online. I told him all about geocaching and that it was the end of a fairly difficult puzzle cache.

About a year later I get a report that someone has attempted to saw through the lock.

I moved it, hopefully deeper into the woods!

Paul

just be sure to bolt the container to a tree, post, rock etc...if you dont the temptation to run off with a locked box found in the woods is too great. With it bolted down it keeps people from walking off with it. Also another hint is to dress it up like something official. Like write or paint on the outside "Official Geocaching station #xxxx Please do not disturb" I created theI.T.B.P. Oklahoma Branch a few years ago. I locked the container and bolted it to the tree. I told the cachers that the combination was the first 2 digits of the lat and the first two digits of the long. I used a Brinks combination lock, made of brass so it wont rust. Worked great. Never had a problem with people stealing or trying to break into it.

i have had a locked box hacked open by non-cachers (who left the box where it was, made trades, signed the log...).

recently i saw a locked box on which the hider had written that there was nothing of value inside and that the lock was only intended to make it harder for people playing the game. there was a little more to the explanation, but you get the idea.

Here's mine:

<cut to save bytes>

That's nice. Even a muggle wouldn't bother with that box.

That gives me an idea; make my cache look like a utility box or something like that.

Think about it carefully- see this discussion.

Gosh golly! I really wish I had been caching longer so I’d know all the dangers!

Decal:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

I have one that has withstood the test of time for almost four years (it will be four years old on December 19). Combination lock on the trail in a forest preserve.

BUT, it doesn't get many visitors. Within a 10 mile radius of that cache, in just looking at traditional caches with a terrain of 2.5 or lower, there's 262 caches (134 micros, 45 smalls, 78 regulars, 1 large and 4 other).

So the cacher says to herself/himself... Hmmm... I could spend an afternoon walking a couple of miles and get some exercise finding a great multi-cache with a combination lock in a forest preserve, or I can find 20 or 30 drive up caches and increase my find count.

Edited by Markwell

Here's mine:

<cut to save bytes>

That's nice. Even a muggle wouldn't bother with that box.

That gives me an idea; make my cache look like a utility box or something like that.

Think about it carefully- see this discussion.

Gosh golly! I really wish I had been caching longer so I’d know all the dangers!

Decal:

United States Geocache

Site Logging Station

Do Not Disturb

Don't see any problem with that

dont "read" things that are not there, please

Guess I should have snipped the quote. my bad

Edited by Confucius' Cat

As my Dad taught me, "locks only keep honest people out."

Obviously, caches with locks can be quite successful, and caches where the lock becomes part of the puzzle can be quite clever.

But if the idea is to to keep muggles out, I agree with BrianSnat - I think you are better off looking for a better way to hide the cache to protect it. A lock only challenges the less-than-honest to find out what is inside.

The utility box is clever, but I suspect it would be just as successful without the pad lock. What are the chances that someone randomly walks up to a utility box, decides to open it, discovers a geocache, and then walks off with the cache? How about the scenario where a geocacher finds the cache and is miffed that it has a lock on it and they didn't bring the combo. Rather than logging a DNF, they just take the cache. That would be a real shame, but is it really less likely than the previous scenario?

I'm not suggesting that you can't use a lock, for the majority of caches I just don't see the point.

Heres my advice, make it a multi cache... hide a key in a magnetic keyholder near by and have give the co-ordinates of the key on the site... not everyone knows how to operate a combination lock (my friend tabby included) but you have to be a dult not to know how to use a keyed lock

I could see doing this cache with my son. We find the key, find the cache. We sign the log, put everything back in the cache, lock it up and rehide it. Then I ask J to put the key back where we found it and he tells me, "I already put it back - I put it back in the cache before we locked it up."

:laughing::unsure:

Got spares?

I have a cache that is locked.....very similar to the utility box used up a few posts. It is a multi and in the first container you will find the coords and a key for the second. The cache is hidden in plane site mounted on a utility pole. I have had great comments about it. The nice thing is that it gives a pretty good size box to use for a cache. I did let the neighbors (friends of mine) in on what the box was there for so that when they see someone out of their window they know what is up.

Kevin

I bought a combination padlock not so long ago that has a small sliding door on it.

One combination opens the padlock and a different combination opens the door.

Its primary use is to keep spare keys in for if you lock yourself out or need to leave keys for workmen but I thought it would be good to use as either a micro cache or put a piece of paper in with co-ordinates to another location.

then all I need to do is give the combination to the door and not the main padlock so people can get the log book/co-ordinates but not remove the padlock.

Another good thing is that most people would think it was just a padlock and wouldn't even notice the secret compartment so would leave it alone.

(It could be put on a a chain around a post and people might just think it was a padlock and chain that isn't in use.

Edited by D_Skids

I like the fun typo on the cache description: "Please be sure & scrabble the wheels when your done"

<pedantic mode>two spelling errors</pedantic mode>

but back on topic--- Putting a lock on a box in the woods will just about guarantee that you lose the container - more quickly if it is in an area where muggles may easily stumble over it. You might make it harder to take away by chaining it to something or casting it into a several-hundred pound block of concrete - but many land managers would probably frown on that. Still, it does present some interesting possibilities for puzzles. (just thinking here)

(edited to remove unintentional third spelling error :ph34r:)

Edited by OHMIKY