What's the protocol when taking/leaving a TB?

SidAndBob

I was always under the impression that TB's didn't count as tradable items. That is, you can take or leave a TB without leaving or taking a corresponding tradable item. I was happy with that, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong all along. I now often see "Left TB, took flashing pumkin badge" or the like. Surely this will just end in a depleated cache as the next cacher will take the TB and leave nothing in it's place.

Yes, and that would be the fault of the person who took trade and only left a tb.

Look at it this way if you were picking up the Payphone travel bug (a real payphone) how much is it worth so you know how much swag you have to leave in it's place?

The fact is that you don't get to keep anybody's travel bug so there is no trade value to apply to it. They are just picked up and moved from cache to cache.

I also seriously doubt they contribute much to the real reason cache swag items degrade over time.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I was always under the impression that TB's didn't count as tradable items. That is, you can take or leave a TB without leaving or taking a corresponding tradable item. I was happy with that, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong all along. I now often see "Left TB, took flashing pumkin badge" or the like. Surely this will just end in a depleated cache as the next cacher will take the TB and leave nothing in it's place.

My impression is that the principle of "Trade up or trade even" meant that a TB should be taken ONLY if one leaves a TB in its place. So, I always carry a TB for trading -- either one I've retrieved from another cache, or one of my own that I haven't activated yet.

And, ALWAYS log the TB's in and out of the cache! Nothing is so frustrating as hunting for a cache with a TB and finding it gone!

TBs can be taken any time you can help them on their way to their goal.

You can take one, two, three, or more TBs, if you can help them toward their goal.

You do not have to leave anything behind if you pick up a TB.

You can drop off TBs and not take a thing from a cache, also (as long as everything fits!)

TBs are not trade items. TBs are not for us to keep. They have an owner. They are travelers, and we just help them on their way.

Swag (trade items) should be traded fairly. If you take swag out of a cache, you should put swag back in that cache. It's probably best to trade even.

I used to trade several smaller, less expensive items for one larger item. I usually cheated myself in the deal just to get some desired thing. I don't do that anymore--just to keep the quality of the swag in the cache high. I suppose there was nothing wrong with what I did, but it didn't improve the quality of the cache either.

On the other hand, if you always trade up (and everyone else did too) then eventually we would have to carry around items worth hundreds of dollars to be able to trade. :huh:

My impression is that the principle of "Trade up or trade even" meant that a TB should be taken ONLY if one leaves a TB in its place. So, I always carry a TB for trading -- either one I've retrieved from another cache, or one of my own that I haven't activated yet.

And, ALWAYS log the TB's in and out of the cache! Nothing is so frustrating as hunting for a cache with a TB and finding it gone!

Don't agree. Swag and TB's are different in my book.

Swag rules -- trade up, trade even, or don't trade. Object being traded must be something you own or bought for the purposes of trading (or swag you now own but swapping swag at a previous cache). Not a TB or other trackable (which you don't own but are simply moving for someone as part of the game).

TB's and Geocoins that are trackable are just that ... objects in the game being tracked by their owner. You can choose to particpate by picking up and moving a TB according to it's mission, or you can leave them for the next cacher. Unless the cache owner specifically set the cache up with TB exchange rules (for example, instructing you to always "swap" TB's as part of the logging requirements), I don't see any requirement to leave a TB in place of one you remove.

Edited by Lasagna
:laughing: Okay... I thought I had kind of gotten the hang of this. My first cache had a travel bug in it and I moved it on fairly quickly. It's still in the same cache and if I can get it to it's goal, I will go back and retrieve him. I saw someone mention a Travel Bug Hotel the other day. What would be the sense of establishing a cache with just travel bugs? Are there enough of them out there to keep the game moving? (BTW- the little Pathfinders and I are loving the heck out of this new hobby. After a month and a half we already have 10 found!)

:) Okay... I thought I had kind of gotten the hang of this. My first cache had a travel bug in it and I moved it on fairly quickly. It's still in the same cache and if I can get it to it's goal, I will go back and retrieve him. I saw someone mention a Travel Bug Hotel the other day. What would be the sense of establishing a cache with just travel bugs? Are there enough of them out there to keep the game moving? (BTW- the little Pathfinders and I are loving the heck out of this new hobby. After a month and a half we already have 10 found!)

Outstanding! And welcome to our sport! It's fun isn't it? And, addicting.......

Yes, there are PLENTY of travel bug hotels out there, and just because you grabbed a TB from a TB Hotel you don't have to take it to another TB Hotel.

The purpose (in my eyes) of a TB Hotel is a place for TB's to be housed, congregate, and be ready for adventures. It is not uncommon for cachers to return to TB Hotels often even though they have found it previously. It's a "jumping off" point for many TB's to position themselves toward their goals.

For example, if I want a TB to get to Michigan, I place it in a TB Hotel, and when a "certain" cacher comes from Michigan on business, he stops by the TB Hotel, and takes it on its way.

It's not always possible to know what a TB's goal is when you pick it up. Do your best and move it on, or closer to its goal, even if it's only .1 down the road, it's moved and the owner will be happy to know that it's still "in play." We now own 335 travel bugs in the game, and we are always happy to see them move and watch their adventures. We've met some awesome people who have gone out of their way to post photos and have driven far just to get a little plush animal to have a photo with something.

Again, welcome to the game. The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!