Best unit for backcountry use

nfa

Howdy,

I have some thoughts on the matter, but a friend just asked me what they should get, so I figured I might as well put it out to the audience...this unit will be used for use in navigating the backcountry of the Adks, and should have topo maps available...

Thanks,

Jamie - NFA

I was planning on recommending the legend (if they don't want to spend much money) or the 60CSX (if they are ready to invest a bit more)...I didn't want to ignore any other viable options, but think that these are 2 good choices...

Jamie - NFA

I was planning on recommending the legend (if they don't want to spend much money) or the 60CSX (if they are ready to invest a bit more)...I didn't want to ignore any other viable options, but think that these are 2 good choices...

Jamie - NFA

Jamie, I think your two choices are very fitting. With either of these I highly recommend getting the Mapsource US Topo 24K, National Parks, East. It sells for about $95 and covers the entire ADK region in great detail. I use the 24K and love it!

I would say the Garmin Venture CX or the Lowrance H20 Plus. THe latter comes with topo maps included in the price, which is about $220. The H20 gets incredible reception under the trees.

I would stay away from the Legend. Though it can work under tree cover its very sensitive to position and if the person takes longer hikes its a bit of a pain to keep it face up all the time. The Venture CX has much improved reception over the Legend and is $150 right now after the Garmin rebate, making itonly $30 more than the Legend. Add the memory card and Mapsource Topo you're around $260.

The Venture CX also does autorouting and has a color screen.

Edited by briansnat

For serious backcountry use, I contend it is foolish to carry only a GPS for navigation. I think most "experts" would agree a good map, compass and the knowledge to use them are essential for safety. So...That being said, if you are going to have a compass and maps anyway, then why go to the significant extra cost of a color mapping unit plus the 1:24,000 Topo maps to load on it?

I use a Garmin Foretrex 101 with paper maps and a grid card. I print my own maps from NG TOPO state series. Plus, with lithium batteries and the wrist strap removed, it is quite a bunch lighter than most any other GPS you can get. To me, after hiking 30 miles, every ounce matters.

Now, if you don't mind spending the extra $300 or so for a color mapping unit, and the 1:24,000 National Parks maps to go on it, then the Garmin Legend Cx is great. I recently (Sept.) "tested" one on a 45 mile backpacking trip in Yellowstone. I had the 1:24,000 National Parks Topo on it, and it worked great the entire time. (But...I still had my compass and paper maps with me.)

To me...It just isn't worth the extra big money to see the pretty maps on the screen. I can be just as accurate with my Foretrex, a grid card and a paper map.

....if you are going to have a compass and maps anyway, then why go to the significant extra cost of a color mapping unit plus the 1:24,000 Topo maps to load on it?

It s much more convenient. I very rarely pull out a paper map to look at it anymore. Just a glance at the gps and it is all there.

Around here, we have a trail mapping project as well, so many of the trails are accuractely recorded by GPS. This can be really handy for finding hard to locate trails and routes.

I did some hiking earlier this year with my Garmin 60C and Topo USA maps. I have a Gilsson external antenna that I stick to a clip on the shoulder strap of my backpack, so that I can hang the GPSr from my belt and not lose signal. From those in the know, the newer x units with their SiRF III chip set get as good a reception without bothering with the external antenna.

I carried spare batteries, along with paper topo maps and a compass, because in the back country, it is just foolish not to do so, especially when hiking alone.

That having been said, I never once looked at the paper maps. The topo maps were dead on at every stream crossing and ridge while hiking in rugged terrain in Colorado. It is hard to go wrong with Garmin units.

Although I'm a Garmin fan. when I first read your post, my immediate reaction was Lowrance H20 Plus. I've heard Briansnat brag on them so much they ought at least to get some consideration

It s much more convenient.

I can't argue that, but considering the extra $200 for the receiver, and $100 for the maps to go on it, $300 is a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having a little 1.7"X 1.3" map to look at! I detest having to pan those little screens around looking for something over the next ridge or somewhere.

And besides, the extra ounces of the mapping units just aren't worth the convenience for me. An 18lb. pack is way more important to me than not having to pull a paper map out of my shirt pocket.

I can't argue that, but considering the extra $200 for the receiver, and $100 for the maps to go on it, $300 is a lot of money to pay for the convenience of having a little 1.7"X 1.3" map to look at! I detest having to pan those little screens around looking for something over the next ridge or somewhere.

And besides, the extra ounces of the mapping units just aren't worth the convenience for me. An 18lb. pack is way more important to me than not having to pull a paper map out of my shirt pocket.

Yes, but it is not just for hiking. We GEOCACHE.... You know, the point of this site. There is no point to having a GPS at all if you have a map....

And they don't weigh any more.....

Edited by Red90
Yes, but it is not just for hiking. We GEOCACHE
Did you read the first posting? The point of this posting originally was backcounty navigation , not geoaching.

And what do you mean "And they don't weigh any more....."?

My Foretrex 101 weighs 2.2 oz. (minus batteries) Show me a mapping unit that gets close to that! Then the batteries that go in it are AAA lithium not AA. Those too, are lighter again.

Edited by Alphawolf
There is no point to having a GPS at all if you have a map

Not true at all. You should never go into the backcountry without a map and compass, even if you have a GPS. Batteries die and electronic devices can break. A GPS is a very useful convenience but you need to have a backup.

I always have a map with me, but The GPS is just so much easier to use.

Not true at all. You should never go into the backcountry without a map and compass, even if you have a GPS. Batteries die and electronic devices can break. A GPS is a very useful convenience but you need to have a backup.

Ummmmmmm, Brian, read that again. That is what I said.. :laughing:

and compasses smash or are interfered with by local geographic features and maps get wet and burn...

nothing is perfect. I got a map and topo on my gpsr. I got a compass. I tend to carry as little as possible, so keep the map.

In order to qualify my recommendation, I'll first have to let you know what I have owned or used. I have had quite a few handhelds, my first being a Magellan 2000. In the Magellan line I have also owned Sportrak Map, Pro and Color, In the Meridian line I have owned the basic Meridian, Meridian Gold, and Meridian Color. In the Explorist line, the 1, 2, and 300. I think that's about it for the Magellan line. In the Garmin line I have owned Garmin 76C, emap, Garmin 12, and etrex yellow, legend, summit, vista, legend C, Legend CX, and Vista CX. Why so many? I don't keep them for very long, and sell them usually to friends of mine for initial cost. I buy most of them on ebay, so my friends get them cheaper than buying locally, and I get to play with all kinds of different GPS's. So, which would I recommend? My favorite of all of these is the Legend CX. I recently purchased a new Legend CX after selling my previous CX to try some different gps's. But I liked the Legend CX so much that I have returned to it again. It has good reception, color mapping, expandable memory, autorouting, a ton of other features, and is SMALL. I like that feature. That being said, my main concern in your request would be that you will be hiking in the Adirondacks? In hilly terrain like that, I don't know how good the reception of the Legend CX would be, though I imagine it would be fairly decent. Now, for the 60CX. I have not owned one of these, but my friend does. I have used it, and find it to be an incredible GPS. Better reception than the Legend CX, but that kind of sensitivity I don't need around here, therefore my preference of the Legend CX. For your purposes, hiking in mountains, the 60CX may be the better choice for better reception. I am sure there are a lot of other good choices, but based on what I have owned, and what I have used, these would be my recommendations. I am in no position to recommend others, as I have never used any other than those mentioned.

Edited by GreatCanadian