MapSource not see GPSr

frefel

I'm using Win XP & MapSource ver. 6.11.5 and have no problem making a connection to my newer Vista C using a USB cable but now I can't get the program to find my older eTrex Venture with a serial cable. I don't see any options for setting up parameters to connect to the GPSr like those of NG TOPO for example.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm using Win XP & MapSource ver. 6.11.5 and have no problem making a connection to my newer Vista C using a USB cable but now I can't get the program to find my older eTrex Venture with a serial cable. I don't see any options for setting up parameters to connect to the GPSr like those of NG TOPO for example.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

When you select Send to Device or Receive from Device under the transfer menu, are you getting the pop up window where you can select Find Device?

I use Mapsource with a serial connection with my GPS V and with the USB connection to my CSx.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

When you select Send to Device or Receive from Device under the transfer menu, are you getting the pop up window where you can select Find Device?

I use Mapsource with a serial connection with my GPS V and with the USB connection to my CSx.

No pop up message; only a wait while it trys to Find, than "cannot find"

I had a similar problem with my old yellow etrex. My 60csx worked fine using the USB, but Mapsource could not find the etrex using the serial cable. My problem was that I had a Palm IIIxe that uses a serial cable to HotSync. If you don't turn off the setting for the Palm, then Mapsource will not find the GPS. As soon as I turned off the HotSync option to use serial, Mapsource worked perfectly with the etrex's serial cable.

I don't know if you use a Palm or some other device that also uses a serial cable, but if you do this may fix your problem.

Edited by wpwfs2003

I had a similar problem with my old yellow etrex. My 60csx worked fine using the USB, but Mapsource could not find the etrex using the serial cable. My problem was that I had a Palm IIIxe that uses a serial cable to HotSync. If you don't turn off the setting for the Palm, then Mapsource will not find the GPS. As soon as I turned off the HotSync option to use serial, Mapsource worked perfectly with the etrex's serial cable.

I don't know if you use a Palm or some other device that also uses a serial cable, but if you do this may fix your problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I know about the HotSync problem and know to not have it on when trying to use the serial port. That is not happening. I checked the COM port on Device Manager and it is working and appears to not be in use.