Earthcaches

rcflyeriam

If you think all caches should be members only caches, then I will refuse to hunt for your caches at all. If all of your caches are all MEMBERS ONLY, then I wouldnt have to worry about hunting for them in the first place. :D With 9 of your caches not being MEMBERS ONLY, I guess you have already gotten alot of NON-MEMBERS lookin at your caches. So I guess you have already have gone back on "ALL CACHES SHOULD BE MEMBERS ONLY"? Makes you wonder whats going on here? Didnt you start off as a NON-MEMBER?

Edited by rcflyeriam

If you think all caches should be members only caches, then I will refuse to hunt for your caches at all. If all of your caches are all MEMBERS ONLY, then I wouldnt have to worry about hunting for them in the first place. :D With 9 of your caches not being MEMBERS ONLY, I guess you have already gotten alot of NON-MEMBERS lookin at your caches. So I guess you have already have gone back on "ALL CACHES SHOULD BE MEMBERS ONLY"? Makes you wonder whats going on here? Didnt you start off as a NON-MEMBER?

Ok let me expand on what I said...

I believe all people should have to pay to use the GC site...I believe there should be a trial period (say 30 days).

I know that there is an incredible amount of work/expense involved in keeping this site up and running not to mention all of the improvements. I became a member in my first week of caching. But have seen very active cachers with big numbers that have never become members.

I have not always felt this way...when I first started hiding caches I would keep them "members only" for the first few weeks then open them up. What changed my mind was all of the thefts of caches, Jeeps and Coins. I have noticed that the majority of theft is from, open caches.

So to sum it up I believe "member only" caches are safer and I think this service should not be enjoyed (long term) for free.

PS As far as the "non member" caches I have...I have adopted allot of the caches I have...and out of respect for the cachers who I adopted them from...I keep them the way they were when I adopted them.

PPS I respect your opinion and hope you respect my opinion...as that is all it is...I have no control over GC rules or polices.

Edited by GoBolts!

Since when is an Earthcache a Members only cache? :D A new Earthcache popped up near my house and it says members only. Isn't the Earth everybodys home? How can we take the members only part off of that cache to share it with the rest of us "non-members"?

RC

Spend $3 for a one month memebership, find all the members only caches in your area, and then go back to a non-paying cacher.

Be sure to play with some of the member only features such as PQs during that month, you may decide it's worth it to pay $30 a year for them.

Face it there will always be bad people in the world no matter what you do... I think that this maybe a bit biased on your part since you are already a member and you have had a couple of bad experiences. Personally I don't think that we should pay for caching... infact I doubt I could pay for caching... <b>Its not easy to get $ when your a kid!</b>

Edited by wolfbait

Since when is an Earthcache a Members only cache? :rolleyes: A new Earthcache popped up near my house and it says members only. Isn't the Earth everybodys home? How can we take the members only part off of that cache to share it with the rest of us "non-members"?

RC

I don't think that will go over well with the GSA folks. One of the purposes of the earthcache program is to be a community outreach, not just for a certain select group of paying customers. You can always mention it to the GSA folks at earthcache.org if your attempts to contact the owner doesn't work.

I accidentally made a couple of my earthcaches member only during the transfer from Waymarking to geocaching. I would suspect it was an accident.

Sounds like there is another topic starting in this thread B)

<b>Its not easy to get $ when your a kid!</b>

$3 = one skipped lunch... or 6 skipped soft drinks (the cheap ones at the reasonably priced kwikie mart)

or one tenth of the money your neighbour will gladly put in your hand for mowing their lawn or shoveling their snow

Don't try that "no money" crap on me. The kids of today are the single most "pitched to" group of consumers by the advertising community. You don't have the money because you choose to spend it elsewhere. No different than 99% of adults. :rolleyes:

Face it there will always be bad people in the world no matter what you do... I think that this maybe a bit biased on your part since you are already a member and you have had a couple of bad experiences. Personally I don't think that we should pay for caching... infact I doubt I could pay for caching... <b>Its not easy to get $ when your a kid!</b>

So all of the people that work for GC.com should do it for free???

Even though they put in 60+ hours a week....al of the computers and servers should be donated????

All of the peripherals, programming and donations should fly out of a monkeys a**???

Wow I want to live in that world....in fact...I have a new group I just formed...it is called Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

It will be a great game that involves sports, hiking, online research and food tasting.

I need programmers to volunteer, I need people to donate lots of cutting edge equipment and I need some one to pay my car and house payment plus feed my wife, dog and myself...plus a little spending money on the side...ok a lot of spending money on the side...I like sushi and my local coffee house.

In return I will open the WTF game up to all for free...no membership fees!

Edited by GoBolts!

In return I will open the WTF game up to all for free...no membership fees!

LOL :(:(:rolleyes:B):(

I agree with GoBolts. I tried this out for a few weeks without paying. Had a blast the whole time.

I decided to upgrade my membership shortly after because I wanted to " do my part ". I didn't even know or care about the features you got from the upgrade at the time.

I used to visit somebodys personal page all the time. The page was huge, full of funny pics, videos, downloads, etc. After a while the site got so big, he couldn't afford to keep it open. Bandwith costs on other servers and garbage (and all other fees). He asked for donations from the people who really enjoyed it. Of course nobody donated, so he had to shut down the site. And he got something like 100,000 hits a week.

I would hate to see something like this go under, knowing I could have helped, even if just a little.

edit: to many typos

Edited by Woodlit

I will gladly pay for the membership, but as for EARTHCACHES ............ how the hell can someone "walk off with," "take things away from," "steal" an Earthcache? There are 2 of them within an hour from my house, one is a HUGE peice of lava flow from along time ago. How can someone pick it up and walk off with it? It would take YEARS to pick away at it with a pick and shovel, if that would even make a dent in it. The other one, members only and I have no idea what it is, it just popped up like 8 days ago. I cant read about it because I am not a member yet. I still think Earthcaches should be open caches for everyone. If you want your "boxes" to be members only, so be it. You cant really steal a TB from an Earthcache. I know I might be new to this caching thing, but we are all out to have fun ........... right?

One of the best things about this game is you can play it any way you want. If you want to go do the earthcache go do it just don't expect the cache owner to play the game the way you want to play it and let you log it. It is his choice who he lets log it. You have a choice to be a regular or premium member. If you choose not to anty up and be a premium member than don't whine about not getting premium member benefits.

By the way, have you bothered to ask him/her if they would allow you to log it? There are ways to do it.

Not to change the subject, but I just want to say "Hi" to "Rcflyeriam". I also am very much into RC planes. Can't have to many hobbies.

I do think that after deciding that Geocaching is a one will stick to, you should become a member and help support the site. With out it, the hobby would not be what it is today.

Any cache can be made "premium members only" by its owner. Doesn't matter what type it is...

If you really, really want it, try emailing the owner and asking if they'll open it up to everyone. Don't be upset if they don't, though-- it's their choice.

Funny, 2 other cachers did and the other seemingly started a forum about it. It would have been easier to get in touch with me as my response would have been quicker and have answered your question. Instead you started a landslide of opinions. B)

To explain the members only on my caches I do it so that "premium members" get the first shot at it. :)

After a week I open it up to everyone so non-members wait a week to get a crack at it. :)

Hope that answered your question! :(

wow that was hard

I would have responed sooner but prefer to keep out of the forums unless I am looking for information on a subject. Lucky for you (rcflieriam), Terrydad2 contacted me and let me know about this.

Seriously, if you (rcflieriam) or anyone else has an issue with someones cache. Contact them first, more often than not people are happy to hear from future finders! I know I am. Posting a forum without first making contact is a bit backwards really.

The only sandwiches I sell for less than $3 are PB&J and hot dogs. You want anythink else at my very reasonably priced restaurant be prepared to pay $4.50-$7.00.

And a cache owner can do what they want with it. PMO or not. It's theirs, so no matter how much we you bitch about it, that ain't gonna change.

Thank you for that answer, I can agree with that one. A week or month of members only, then open to everybody else. Thank you. :)

RC.

As for flying rc planes, I am also an instructor pilot for them too. If someone needs to learn to build one, I also give great tips on that also. Repairs can also be done. Great fun, as long as its not really bad smashed up. Maybe we can go flying sometime?

Edited by rcflyeriam
<b>Its not easy to get $ when your a kid!</b>

$3 = ...one tenth of the money your neighbour will gladly put in your hand for mowing their lawn or shoveling their snow

Where do YOU live? I want to move there!

I pay MY lawn mowing service that.

It is the going rate. If your area is cheaper, then go mow TWO lawns and get your premium membership.

The "entitlement mentality" that is so extant in this country is ruining a lot of things.

How bout your generation being the one to reject it and learn that there really is no free lunch. you get what you pay for. If you do not pay for it, somebody else has to.

As to an earthcache being members only, (notwithstanding the owner of this particular one stated his reasons) it is possible in other cases that the owner simply checked the wrong box. I have done that b4 when entering a new cache.

Asking the owner would get an answer or a correction either way. :unsure:

Sorry to belabour a dead topic (off-topically)

Jumping late into this thread...

For me, the purpose of a Members Only cache is to impose restrictions. I have one MOC because I wanted to restrict access. Nothing to do with promoting $.

In that spirit, I hope all Earthcaches are free, even though it's still the owner's choice.

As for Groundspeak and the $3/$30, I appreciate the fact that they are professional about the money they collect, giving users features in return. I'm glad they don't have to stoop to the level of begging for donations to survive.

I used to fly model airplanes. It can be very expensive. :blink:

did we get into a spitting contest here?

i was a paying member right from the beginning of my career. i prefer players to be premium members. i would rather that people play and enjoy the game at whatever level they like whether they pay or not. it's very egalitarian that way.

my dad is a premium member; my mom is not. they both cache.

i won't hunt MOCs. i just won't . if my non-paying friend can't come with me, i won't go.

i love the game and i want as many people as possible to enjoy it. and i love that everybody can play on the same field as equals. when wwas the last time you participated in a sport where children can play on the same field as adults and as equals?