Having trouble entering a new cache site

gravechaser

Hi. I, and my 3 kids, are fairly new since we've only been at this about 2 months. We felt confident enough to place our first cache today without any problems. However, the online form is giving me fits and I'm so frustrated that I'm having an Excedrin Migraine moment!

I get everything typed in carefully, including the averaged-out longitude and latitude numbers that my GPS unit (Garmin eTrex Legend) gave me and when I hit the "Report New Listing" button it comes right back at me with "Invalid longitude minutes". What the heck am I doing wrong?

The coordinates lines are N xx degrees xx.xxx minutes and W xxx degrees xx.xxx minutes. I'm entering the W line as W 087 degrees 64.734 minutes. Am I entering this incorrectly?

My kids are crushed that ole Mom, the computer whiz in the house, isn't sharp enough get this done and submitted. My husband is laughing at me since he thinks this is a useless hobby (boy, am I getting plenty of exercise walking for these caches tho). I can't have him laughing and our kids crying at my stupidity! Can someone please give me some ideas of what I'm entering incorrectly? :D

You can not go over 60 minutes.

Your GPS should be set to hddd mm.mmm

I don't recognize what format you are using, but it's definitely not the one used by the website.

Welcome to the hobby/sport, and don't let your hubby bring you down. This hobby has something for everyone, espcecially for families as it provides something the entire family can participate in. Don't be bashful about posting more questions; there lots of friendly folks here.

BTW, check out Illonis Geocaching.com.

Edited by Chuy!

Thank you so much! I checked my system settings and it was on hddd.ddddd, whatever that is. I have changed it to hddd degrees mm.mmm minutes. I'm going to try this again and I hope this is it. Thank you so much! I have regained my high status in my kids eyes, and that's saying something when one is 13 now! :D

To change/check the settings on a legend you go to the main menu, pick 'setup', then 'units'. The top thing listed should say position format, make sure this says "hddd°mm.mmm". If not click it, and scroll threw that list till you find that one when click it again. (Also while your in setup make sure the second thing listed, map datum is set to "WGS 84").