how do you...

kimnbair

I use a Case It double three-ring binder. One side has coin pages for 2.5 inch coins, the other has pages for 2 inch coins. I put the coins in 2.5 or 2 inch flips and then slide them into the pockets on the coin pages.

I've found that the 2 inch flips/pages are good for 1.5, 1.62, and thin 1.75 inch coins. The 2.5 inch flips/pages are good for thick 1.75 and 2 inch coins.

One binder will hold about 200 coins, a mark I'm fast approaching. I found my Case It binder at an office supply store like Staples.

Edited by Ferreter5
I use a Case It double three-ring binder. One side has coin pages for 2.5 inch coins, the other has pages for 2 inch coins. I put the coins in 2.5 or 2 inch flips and then slide them into the pockets on the coin pages.

I've found that the 2 inch flips/pages are good for 1.5, 1.62, and thin 1.75 inch coins. The 2.5 inch flips/pages are good for thick 1.75 and 2 inch coins.

One binder will hold about 200 coins, a mark I'm fast approaching. I found my Case It binder at an office supply store like Staples.

200 Coins in ONE binder? That things gotta weigh nearly 20 pounds!

My binder method is to limit 10-12, pages which each hold 12 coins....seems to be a more manageable weight, and I can have specific binders for "personal", "state & regional", "silly stuff", etc.

200 Coins in ONE binder? That things gotta weigh nearly 20 pounds!

It's currently up to 180 coins and still going strong, and it's still easily carried, at least for me anyway (maybe I should put it on the scale someday). I figure by the time I hit the 200 mark it'll be time to get a second binder.

I can have specific binders for "personal", "state & regional", "silly stuff", etc.

I haven't gotten to that point yet. In the one binder I have the coins are grouped into sections by categories like you listed. If my collection gets to be too enormous I may go with a separate binder for each category.

I have 4 CaseIt "double binders"

Red is for Countries, Regions and States.

The two Blue are for Personal Coins.

Black is for the miscelanous coins like clubs, events, seasonal and what ever else doesn't fit into the Red or Blue binder categories.

As for the weight... I've solved that problem as well...

s0052816_std.jpg

I can fit all 4 binders in one of these bad boys and still have room on top for other items.

I haven't had a chance to update my binder page in a while to include the rolling crate... but I highly recommend it for those of you with more than two binders.

We used to use those rolling cart things, and they work good until things get too heavy. We pretty much keep our collection at home these days, and maybe bring a binder or two on request. Here's how we store ours.

We have binders split up by alphabet. Some letters have multiple binders, others letters share a binder:

binders%20all.jpg

Here's a closer view of the binders:

binders.jpg

Here's one binder page:

binder%20page.jpg

Each binder holds up to 120 geocoins. After that, the binders get too heavy. Each pocket has velcro that holds the coin in. Also, the coin is put into a sleeve first before it is put in the pocket. They are secure enough that the binders can be turned upside down and the coins won't fall out.

--Marky

I store mine in 6 ring binders that are made for business cards they have zippers on the

binders to keep the coins in the folder.

The coins are kept in place in the plastic sleves with foam sheets that I cut to fit the coin and to fit in the card holder.Each binder will hold 11 pages of coins with 3 coins in each page. 33 coins in each binder this makes them not as heavy as the bigger binders to take to events.

I would upload a picture of them but I don't know how to do so.

I used to cart my coins around in a box... but I decided I needed something more organized and attractive to display them in. Making a wooden frame was one thought, but then I couldn't take them to events easily. I wanted to keep them in a book/binder of some sort, but I didn't know what to do about the oddly shaped coins. I had seen the books with that are available, but with the shaped large coins, I needed something far more customizable.

My binders may not be the perfect solution, but they are adaptable to almost any coin that comes along.

I tried the binder technique but pages and pockets kept coming apart after repeated handling. Since then I have started to display the coins in baseball card holders (5mm thick) with 3mm foam inserts cut to hold the coin.

The benefits are the look is uniform, foam can be cut to any shape, and most important to me is that the display can be handled individually so it is very durable. :rolleyes:

I'll try and post some pics but photograpy is not my thing! B)

291015290_3e5cd408e7_b.jpg

291015291_7d4ed8bb72_m.jpg

291015290_3e5cd408e7_m.jpg

Edited by TeamLegend4

I use a regular binder with regular coin pages and Saf-T-flips, but one of these months I am going to start building a custom binder like Team AI's.

I do the same thing now but when I started I tried to put them in air-tites like is used for coins but it soon became apparent that geocoins would not fit well in them. Then I went to displaying them in a curio cabinet but that got out of hand as well. So I found the article on the forums and started displaying them that way. I now have about 90 coins in a 2" binder and for an added touch, I used a Dymo label maker to add the name of the coin, the creator, the tracking code and the activation code. It works well not only for storing the coins but I can take them to events and people can look at them easily. To cut the openings for the coins themselves, I just use an Xacto knife and trim around the outside of the coin and it works great, especially for the non-round coins.

I tried the binder technique but pages and pockets kept coming apart after repeated handling. Since then I have started to display the coins in baseball card holders (5mm thick) with 3mm foam inserts cut to hold the coin.

Are those rigid plastic or flexible sleeves? I did a quick search and just found sleeves but these look like rigid individual cases. Where did you get them?

Are those rigid plastic or flexible sleeves? I did a quick search and just found sleeves but these look like rigid individual cases. Where did you get them?

Yes, they are rigid individual cases. I found them at a baseball card collectible store. Paid $3.50 a box (15 per box).

Jake - Team A.I., RubiconIwb, TeamLegend4...

I believe you are all using the foam insert method. I am wondering how you cut out the non-round coins without damaging the coin rim? Do you mark the foam somehow first? Cut around the coin itself?

I trace the coin very carefully with an exacto blade. Done over 200 so far and only scratched one coin when I was rushing.

Has anybody used the Air-Tite coin holders with the foam inserts? I have some geocoins that I intend to keep that will get alot of handling and I am thinking about trying the Air-Tites.

The air-tites work OK for some coins but I found some that were too thick to fit inside and have them snap together like they have to to stay together. You could certainly use the foam inside but you would have to get substantially larger air-tites so there was enough room and then inevitably you will come across a 1-3/4" or 2" coin that there are no air-tites large enough for. If you do it this way, you still have the dilemma of how to carry the coins around. That is why placing the coins in foam and then slipping it into a pocket of a 9-pocket sleeve and then into a binder works so well. I also like the looks of the coins in the hard plastic holders, that is the first time I've seen that method. As for cutting the foam, I just lay the coin on the foam and cut around it, then remove the coin and finish the cut. As far as I know, I've never nicked a coin but you need to keep the blade very sharp and a very thin blade works best. At least that has been my experience.

When cutting the oddly shaped coins I have two methods depending on the shape. First... like others, just trace around with the exacto knife. For the recent seasonal coins, I pressed them hard into the foam to get the imprint transferred, then cut it with an exacto knife. This method worked really well for the snowflake shaped one.

I really like the single card holder in the wooden box. I was originally looking for the single card holders when I saw the 9 card sheet I decided go with that and a zippered binder.

TeamLegend4...

I always intended to put labels on my coins in the binders, but I didn't have a good enough labeling method I felt was worthy of my efforts. Did you make those labels yourself or have them made somewhere?

The benefits are the look is uniform, foam can be cut to any shape, and most important to me is that the display can be handled individually so it is very durable. :)

I'll try and post some pics but photograpy is not my thing! :)

291015290_3e5cd408e7_b.jpg

291015291_7d4ed8bb72_m.jpg

291015290_3e5cd408e7_m.jpg

That is awesome, nice and clean, what to do with about 450 of them though? I think you could make a little money selling those! Glen

When cutting the oddly shaped coins I have two methods depending on the shape. First... like others, just trace around with the exacto knife. For the recent seasonal coins, I pressed them hard into the foam to get the imprint transferred, then cut it with an exacto knife. This method worked really well for the snowflake shaped one.

I really like the single card holder in the wooden box. I was originally looking for the single card holders when I saw the 9 card sheet I decided go with that and a zippered binder.

TeamLegend4...

I always intended to put labels on my coins in the binders, but I didn't have a good enough labeling method I felt was worthy of my efforts. Did you make those labels yourself or have them made somewhere?

I printed the labels myself, they are Avery Silver Foil 8986. I stick them directly to the foam so that the label is also under the hard plastic. It actually gives the appearence of a metal plate set into the foam.

So, your coin-in-foam is inserted directly into the 9-card sheet? I thought it was first inserted in a card holder, then that was put in the sheet.

So, your coin-in-foam is inserted directly into the 9-card sheet? I thought it was first inserted in a card holder, then that was put in the sheet.

I was planning on doing just that as well... but I never got ahold of the single card holders. Once I found how well the foam in the sheet worked, it wasn't necessary. Besides, I'm not sure how well they will fit since I think they are made to the same width so they wouldn't slide into the 9 card sheets very easily.

As for coins flipping, I turn the pages using the extra page of foam I insert between each page. That allows the coins to lay on that page as it is turned over and keeps the coins from slipping. I only have one problem coin that likes to keep slipping. Washington 04, has a edge that for some reason doesn't like to keep its self in place.

I was planning on doing just that as well... but I never got ahold of the single card holders. Once I found how well the foam in the sheet worked, it wasn't necessary. Besides, I'm not sure how well they will fit since I think they are made to the same width so they wouldn't slide into the 9 card sheets very easily.

I've been using the baseball sleeve as well as the 9 card sheets with great success. It allows me to take individual cards and show them to people. The only disadvantage is that some of the corners of the sleeves can cut the sheets when reinserted.

I even have pictures.

FolderOutside.jpg

FolderInside.jpg

I've gotten rather behind on making the foam surrounds for them, though. :/

I used the foam and baseball card pages, but the binder ended being very thick. Not wanting to start another binder, I purchased coin folder pages from a coin shop. It cut 20+ pages down to three.

The black foam looks really nice, though. I was using the 6mm and felt it took up too much room

I'd prefer use the foam, and the extra foam pages inbetween each coin page than hear the sound of coins clanging together as pages are turned. It may bulk up the binder but I'd rather have it that way.

I have seen alot of baseball card binders with foam... I put each of mine in hard plastic coin cases, lined with foam. I have 16 displayed in a small binder and the others go into my coin box... which isn't really for display.

I also have a signature item binder with varying sleeve sizes. I stick all kinds of caching knick-knacks (includuing bulky items such as shot glasses, rubber rats and rubber frogs) in it.

I have done some experimenting, and learned a few things:

The hard holders don't fit the card binder pages. Therefore, if you use those, you are limited to a box storage method.

There are flexible sleeves available that do fit the card sheets. I bought a package of 100 for $1 at the local card shop. They are crystal clear with no PVC, and the foam slides in real easily.

The advantage to using the flexible sleeve is you can pull individual coins out of the pages and slip them in your shirt pocket to take to events (or where ever). PLUS, you can slip the whole thing into a rigid card holder for extra protection while carrying around.

You can also go to a coin shop and buy currency sleeves that fit into currency binder pages that hold three of them. With this method, you can put a whole row of coins in one foam insert. (Or, for example, a Ranger216 train set.) These can be mixed right in with the other pages.

I am going to start working with this Real Soon Now.

I have tried the nine-pocket pages, but the coins seem to heavy for them. I like the idea of a velcro closure. I might try that. I would like to know where to purchase the 12-pocket pages... they seem more coin-friendly.

As for taking them to events, I tried something at the last event I went to. It was the first time I took my whole collection and I was loath for people to handle the coins. So, I put together a MS Word list of the coins, with the names and tracking numbers, then made copies to take to the event. This way, those who actually came over and spent time looking over the coins could take a page if they were interested in discovering the coins. It seemed to be a big hit. It might seem costly, but better that then to lose a coin.

RedwoodRed (blacklisted coin trader)

-=: My Trade List :=-

---

I also use the 9 pocket pages and the 6mm craft foam, put in double three ring zippered binders. In addition I put the tracking # and icon on a sticker on the foam for when I bring the binders to events, this way people are less inclined to remove the coins from the pockets.

I store mine in 6 ring binders that are made for business cards they have zippers on the

binders to keep the coins in the folder.

The coins are kept in place in the plastic sleves with foam sheets that I cut to fit the coin and to fit in the card holder.Each binder will hold 11 pages of coins with 3 coins in each page. 33 coins in each binder this makes them not as heavy as the bigger binders to take to events.

Figured out how to upload a picture of the binders with some help

cainrcc1.jpg

I have a quick question. I purchased 3"x4" plastic card holders to fit up to 5mm. Where do I purchase the black foam from?

My binder instruction page can get you started. Look below at my sig for the link.

Thanks for the info but our Michael's moved about 5 years ago. Are there any other options on places to get foam? I was thinking Walmart but am not sure.