Stupid Puzzle Caches

Count the letters in the fourth name on the sign... add 156... multiply by the # of Jupiters Moons...

Take the inverse... square root... multiply by pi... double that... add to that the # of pimples on my butt...

These are the coordinates... after you reverse the numbers...

go there and take the #of letters in the second name on the new sign, etc. etc. etc.

Now you have the key for deciphering the following puzzle...

I am getting really tired of these caches...

Anyone else???

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors

Count the letters in the fourth name on the sign... add 156... multiply by the # of Jupiters Moons...

Take the inverse... square root... multiply by pi... double that... add to that the # of pimples on my butt...

These are the coordinates... after you reverse the numbers...

go there and take the #of letters in the second name on the new sign, etc. etc. etc.

I am getting really tired of these caches...

Anyone else???

I'm not much for puzzle caches, either. You can use a PQ to filter those out if you don't care for 'em.

I don't care for puzzle caches either, but the world of geocaching is pretty large and diverse. The different types of caches offer choices for all types of finders. Rather than worry about the types we don't like, why don't we just look for those we do. Just filter out the rest or ignore them. I know-we've all heard that before, but it works.

All that being said; please give me a hint on the number of pimples. No pictures please!

I just exclude the puzzles from my pocket queries and charge blissfully through the many remaining caches. And I don't whine about puzzles in the forums or in my cache logs, except in a self-deprecating way ("I am terrible with math so I avoid these....")

There are good puzzles, with a challenging but solveable method to their madness, and ending in a cache at a place you'd like to visit. There are lame puzzles, hidden seemingly as an excuse to dress up an otherwise uninspired hiding place. In other words, the same as with good micros and lame micros, or with gladware by the parking lot vs. ammo cans a mile up the trail.

I choose to avoid the puzzles but I don't begrudge others who seem to enjoy them. I wish everyone else would look at their disliked cache category in the same manner.

Actually, I was asking who was tired of these caches...

not how to exclude them...

Like I said...

It's getting hard to find anything else around our area...

I know, It's probably a fad, like anything else, but give me a good old cache in an interresting area any day over these wastes of time...

not a puzzle that finally gets me to a micro by the loading docks at the mall...

You have to be carefully when filtering out the puzzle types. I placed a night time cache in my area and marked it as a traditional, then the reviewer changed it to the " ? " type. Which is fine by me, but then that might get filtered out too. Which of course is all fine and good if you don't like night time caches, but so far people seem to really like it.

I cannot get tired of that which I do not see. :D

Filter them out, and there's nothing to see at all, that we have not fond locally already...

and filtering still has nothing to do with what I first asked...

Hide the kind of cache you like to find. Encourage other like minded cachers to hide those kinds of caches. If you really have found all the cache that you enjoy finding and there are no caches left of the types you like, then you need to find a new hobby. And to answer your first question - No. I like puzzles so I am not tired of them.

Perhaps the difference is puzzles you have to solve at home and those you have to solve after arriving at a location. I've found that the puzzles you have to solve at home tend to be of a much higher quality, and much less like what the OP is complaining of. I agree that many of those just seem like busy work. I'm already in the area, just post coords that send me to the cache. Typically for me, (OK, actually my wife, who does most of the puzzles) solving the more involved puzzles itself is the biggest reward, the key to unlocking the secret location of the cache.

If they're offset caches where you need to take information off a sign or object to get the actual coordinates, I think they're fine. They are an ideal replacement for virtual caches in that they often take you to an interesting spot and you use info there to find the acutal cache.

As far as true puzzle caches that involve ciphers, numbers puzzles, etc... they are not my cup of beer. I generally filter them out. There really aren't a lot of them in my area though. Peconic Bay Sailors live about 35 miles south of me and in that part of the state there are a many more puzzle caches, so I could see their getting tired of them.

Then there are the sudukou puzzles. They are the Walmart micro of puzzle caches. I placed an anti puzzle cache in response to the explosion of sudukou caches.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with puzzle caches. I'm sure many people enjoy them. I just prefer a physical challenge to a mental one when hunting a cache.

Edited by briansnat

Disclaimer: While I may ignore many puzzle caches, I have hidden a few of my own. I don't think they are as obscure as the kind the OP was talking about. I have one that involves cryptography, but I make it clear that the letters used are the letters of the plain text and where I got the code. I am also very inclined to help people solve the puzzle.

I was looking at several that have appeared in the Seattle area lately and they seem to have a series of random letters and numbers and nothing else. I'm sure that the arrangement is not random, but I have no clue, nor any desire, to figure out what the rhyme or reason is for those caches. Those are the ones that make up the majority of my ignore list. Those that end in a parking lot or a bus shelter make the experience even worse.

Puzzle caches if done right can be good. I once did one on the history of Mobile AL. by the time you were done you knew the history of the city. I'll take this type over a parking lot micro any time.

El Diablo

I like to try for well thought out puzzle caches. Ones that make you think and that you learn a few things from while doing them. But i have seen more showing up that are just plain old boring and monotanous. I want to discover something new, not count 364 letters in a paragraph just to get the letter needed for substitution into a code. Like anything else, the first few of these types were fun but they aren't to my liking anymore. Reading only a few lines of the cache description pretty much tells me whether it is or isn't a cache i am interested in trying for. It gets ignored pretty quick if i don't like the sound of it!

I get a lot of good feedback on the puzzle caches I've created. Personally, I don't choose to solve other puzzle caches.

I find though that these puzzles add challenges to finding caches. Not everyone has the same physical abilities to do 5-star terrains. So this is an alternative.

As with traditional caches, puzzle caches can be lame or be very creative. To each his own. Don't let it bother you.

I've heard a recent complaint from a paperless cacher, who expects multi caches to have a waypoint at the first stage. Perhaps, offset should have it's own category? Some people call them multis, and some call them mysteries.

But, Deb, if you don't like my mystery caches, you don't have to do them. :D (GD&R)

Am I tired of them? Some are good. Some are poor. Some are almost always wrong! ('Count the number of black rolers.' (They're black, but they don't roll.) "Count the number of tiers on the ladder." (Oh, you meant tires!)

Trite and tiresome? Sometimes. A lot of fun? Sometimes. Don't know until I try them.

Evil, obscure mystery caches, OTOH, are for us evil, obscure people. Hee hee hee.

I just did my first puzzle cache. Actually, it gives you the coords for two caches with great views, if you solve the puzzle - it's a logic problem type. I never saw a cache done that way before, so I'm hoping it's at least semi-unique and interesting. It's a solve at home one, and not too hard.

I didn't know people didn't like puzzle caches. Huh. :D:D

I love puzzle caches... the tougher the better. I don't and can't solve every one, but the ones that peak my interest I'll put extra effort into.

I also have a problem with the ones that stretch the number issue, i.e. take the number off of the sign, add this many numbers and divide by whatever... that indicates a lack of forethought and planning, and gives me the impression of slap-dash, "I'm throwing out a cache before anyone else has a chance to use this spot for one!"

In my opinion (for whatever that is worth), ANY cache that is slapped together cheapens this sport/game/hobby for the rest of us. Even if it is an ammo can, that kind of cache is still SPAM...

Making a good puzzle cache is very difficult. In general, I really love well-made puzzles. The kind I like least are the ones that are tedious, and don't seem to have a point. The one described by the OP in this thead would definitely fall into the "tedious" category for me.

When I hide a puzzle cache, I try to make the puzzle entertaining or educational or both. Whether I succeed or not, I dunno. You'd have to ask those who find them.

In general I like puzzles. The only complaint I have is that most of them around here are just too hard. I have a hard time justifying the waste of my valuable time on something for which I have very little chance of success. (unlike wasting my valuable time typing posts on the forums) :D

Puzzles are a refreshing change from all the simple, plain-jane caches in that you have to work your brain a little bit to get 'er done.

OTOH puzzles like described by the OP are just plain ridiculous. It is not really a puzzle, just a lot of busy work b4 you find a typical lame cache.

Puzzle caches if done right can be good. I once did one on the history of Mobile AL. by the time you were done you knew the history of the city. I'll take this type over a parking lot micro any time.

El Diablo

But then a lot of puzzles tend to become "parking lot micros" when you go to sign the log. :D

(guilty on my two- well not parking lots per-se)

Edited by Confucius' Cat

I'm not tired of puzzle caches because we never do them. The only one we have listed as a find was one we stumbled upon on our way to the false coordinates not realizing that it wasn't like traditional caches (we were new to the game then). I like caches and I like puzzles, but I'm not into combining the two. I go geocaching because I like a good walk and a chance to play with an electronic device. The only thing the puzzle does is make it take longer for me to actually start my walk and play with my electronic device. I'm not complaining about puzzle/mystery caches, though, because I think that the principle behind the idea is very fascinating. I just don't feel like doing them myself.

I love setting and finding puzzle caches but I'm not keen on ones that are really just multis with complicated on the hoof maths or that are so trivial that there's no fun in solving. They still need to be put in good locations just like any other cache, though.

I can honestly say that anyone can solve my puzzle caches... that's because if they hate puzzles they can email me and I'll give them the coordinates. :D

I'm beginning to hate stupid puzzle caches too.

I'm one of the biggest puzzle placer offenders in the area, but I find the cache types you're taking about to be annoying. IMHO, offset type caches should involve simple subtract and addition, or number substitution. With that said, I'm even annoyed by number substitution that involves adding or subtracting the variables together to get new numbers to substitute into the coordinate string. Too much room for error.

Now, I believe I know the cache you are talking about (or at least prompted you to bring up this topic). I defense of the cache, the listing states that it's very hard and is rated 5 stars. The listing also suggest you bring a scientific calculator. It's a little out of my range for weekday caching, but I'll probably check it out at some point.

Harry Dolphin and FizzyMagic bring up good points. I'm pretty much in their camp on puzzle caches. They can be lots of fun, but in the wrong hands can be pretty lame. (ALA a micro in the Wal-Mart parking lot ... flame retardant suit goes on:) )

Some puzzle caches are harder to create then they are to solve. I recently spent several weeks working on this cache, most solvers got in within a few hours.

As a consolation to the non puzzle seekers, I've tried to place on traditional cache for every puzzle cache I place ... of course, my traditionals tend to involve at least a 1mi round trip walk ... guess that makes me a double Richard. :D

The great thing about this activity (I don't think it is a sport personally, since no one can "win"), is that there is something for everyone.

If you are physically challenged, or have kids, or even just want to make a numbers run, there are level 1 caches for you.

If you want to hike 8 miles round trip, climb mountains, scuba dive, there are level 5 caches for you.

If you want to work out crazy puzzles that take months to solve, there are plenty out there for you.

Not every cache is meant to be found by every cacher. But there is something out there for all of us.

Our most prolific hider in the area has some amazing puzzle caches. When you're doing urban caches, puzzles can be a great way to add a little interest and excitement. There are some that I'm nowhere near solving and there have been some that were more easily cracked. Maybe the key here is that his puzzles never just take you to a parking lot or dumpster, but always to something worth seeing.

Puzzles are like any other cache types...there are good ones and lame ones. I don't really care for the math type puzzles or the obscure cryptography ones, but I like others. I tend to place puzzles that have a story or theme (like this and this) or don't really require decoding skills (like this)

I actually find it bizarre that people do a blanket ignore on puzzle caches. Puzzles are really the most diverse type of cache. A micro is a micro, a traditional is a traditional, a multi is a multi, but a puzzle could be pretty much anything. I really think people are robbing themselves by doing a blanket ignore and not even looking at the cache page to see if it's something they might enjoy.

I'm in the same boat as ThePropers. I like some cachers puzzles (Prime Suspect's puzzles for example), but there's a bunch that I ignore altogether since they seem to be created only to show how smart the cache owner is. Mental master******.

Puzzles are like any other cache types...there are good ones and lame ones. I don't really care for the math type puzzles or the obscure cryptography ones, but I like others. I tend to place puzzles that have a story or theme (like this and this) or don't really require decoding skills (like this)

I actually find it bizarre that people do a blanket ignore on puzzle caches. Puzzles are really the most diverse type of cache. A micro is a micro, a traditional is a traditional, a multi is a multi, but a puzzle could be pretty much anything. I really think people are robbing themselves by doing a blanket ignore and not even looking at the cache page to see if it's something they might enjoy.

How about puzzle caches that can't be solved with out some inside information. There have been a couple of puzzels lately with multiple encryptions so even when your on the right track you don't know it. I believe without the knowledge I was given on these they could not be cracked.

The tendency seems now is to create the unsolvable puzzle. These types of puzzles only take away from caching as they leave caches that no one will want to find. They are also resulting in caches tending to ignore all puzzles even the good ones.

Team Sand Dollar

Our most prolific hider in the area has some amazing puzzle caches. When you're doing urban caches, puzzles can be a great way to add a little interest and excitement. There are some that I'm nowhere near solving and there have been some that were more easily cracked. Maybe the key here is that his puzzles never just take you to a parking lot or dumpster, but always to something worth seeing.

I notice you haven't found this one yet...

X Marks the Spot

:D

I cannot get tired of that which I do not see. :D

Filter them out, and there's nothing to see at all, that we have not fond locally already...

and filtering still has nothing to do with what I first asked...

Oh, good thing I read this response from the OP, because that's what I was going to say. Yeah, someone put out a 15 cache series in my area, and 14 of them are exactly as described. Gives you a headache for sure :D I even skipped one of them yesterday, that was sort of on the agenda. But am I sick of them? Naw, not really :D

Howdy......

If ya don't like 'em.... don't do 'em.

I don't like 'em.... I don't do 'em.

Vern... :D

That would be a good idea if not that several puzzle caches hide themselves as traditional ones.

I hate puzzle caches. They're pretty silly. By over-complicating the game you lose the original appeal of the game. Keep it simple stupid!

I notice you haven't found this one yet...

X Marks the Spot

:D

OK, make that TWO of our most prolific hiders... :D (actually 3, counting Ertman110 too!)

Shoot, I just now got Muskrat Love deciphered!

I can't tell you how many times I want to post on threads saying how awesome the caches in Savannah are and how high the bar has been set as far as cache quality.

Edited by parker313

I enjoy the diversity of all types of caches. Keeps the brain cells active.

Puzzles? Can I solve them all? No Way. But I don't know if I like the puzzle, the hide or the location until I go there.

I'm more tired of skirt-lifters in park and rides. But, I go get them. Some things are for the numbers and some caches are for the hike and some are for a certain satisfaction in working through a puzzle cace.

You can have your own reasons for caching. I enjoy all of mine.

I love puzzles - crossword, Sudoku (correct spelling, btw), acrostics, etc. It's a fun and relaxing thing done at home, on a rainy day or a quiet afternoon, with a cup of coffee or tea, maybe listening to music, maybe being "alone together" with my S.O.

I love geocaching.

However, I don't care for combining the two; for me, they just don't mesh well.

On a side note, we have one local puzzle cache which has a high find rate because for some odd reason, the final stage is about 40 feet from a traditional cache hidden by another person....