Geocaching USA - Coming soon !

ranger216

You've got to be one of the most ambitious coin guys out there!

Seattle is a GREAT idea

I guess the space needle is the icon there...

how about a character for the front of the coin?

The Space Needle is probably the number 1 icon for Seattle. A few others might be a Ferry boat or the Pike Place Market.

Personally I think this should be left up to the individual states.

Ditto.

I think it might be wise to do a few things:

1) Deliver the coins you've already made/taken orders for

2) Leave individual states/cities to groups in those areas

My two cents.

by using this forum. I basically AM asking all the states...

and remember .. this isnt about states.. I think all states have their own coins..

This is all about great Geocaching cities...

a rookie cacher could go to Washington and hit like 75 caches in a day or 2

thats pretty impressive..

Thats what my intention of these coins were...

listing the aprox amount of caches in the cities area as of this time 06-07

With all due respect, you're not asking the states. You're asking a few people that happen to come into these forums. 95% or cachers, even those that are into coins, don't come into the forums.

Taking on a city coin because nobody came onto these boards to say "no, we're doing one" isn't exactly giving them a chance.

Yes, many will say that anybody CAN make any coin that they want - doesn't mean that you SHOULD, though. :D

But you would also have critics that say 99% of the caches in DC are virtuals. I have no problem with virtuals but some would say they are not real geocaches. Leaving that debate aside, I don't think geocoins that are aimed towards numbers is appropriate. A geocoin aimed at depicting a city's interests or highlights would be interesting and appropriate, but that should be left to the different states or their organizations.

wow, already a bunch of people chimed in on what I was going to say. but i'll say it anyway.

There are a lot of people who will object to someone making a coin about a city or state when the person does not live there, they will see it as simple profiteering. I agree.

How about Wichita Kansas, There is over 500 caches within 50 mile radius of Wichita area. Ranging from 5/5s to easy vurtuals and also a web cam cache and benchmarks next to caches. I will have to do some resurc for an Icon for Wichita.

Hipper

I think it is a great idea. It gives you another coin or set to collect. If you are from a city or have cached in that city that a coin is made for it just gives another coin to collect and if people dont like it they dont have to by it. Some one has to step up and make the coins.

Just my opinion Hipper

With all due respect, you're not asking the states. You're asking a few people that happen to come into these forums. 95% or cachers, even those that are into coins, don't come into the forums.

Taking on a city coin because nobody came onto these boards to say "no, we're doing one" isn't exactly giving them a chance.

Yes, many will say that anybody CAN make any coin that they want - doesn't mean that you SHOULD, though. :D

I TOTALLY AGREE !!!!!!

Wasn't the individual that was helping to create the coins working directly with geocachers from the non-American cities?

NO!!!! Anymore than he asked GBA Cachers to help with the San Fracisco coin :D

A canadian living 200 miles (Half way across england) from the city had a little input but NO is the answer

I think at the time I asked if there was a mexicain in Witchita to help design a washington DC Coin :D

Wasn't the individual that was helping to create the coins working directly with geocachers from the non-American cities?

NO!!!!

Um yes, he was. Team Maddie UK (Lynn) worked with him on both London coin designs and was the distribution point for the UK orders.

Same for Singapore and Rome. He worked with a local from the countries, btw.

Finally same goes for the upcoming Sydney coin. THere was a local AU person that was partnered with.

Edited by AtlantaGal

wow

I did by no means want to ruffle anyones feathers

This started out as being a Washington DC Geooin..

"Capital Caching"

but when I talked to people ... it seemed like there was support for more coins about other cities. and thus I began this thread

I never wanted to get in the way of geocaching clubs that may be designing a coin....

so I guess what I am asking .. is do I forget about anything other than the Washington & maybe Philadelphia coin?

or is there interest..thats all I ask.

so I guess what I am asking .. is do I forget about anything other than the Washington & maybe Philadelphia coin?

Philadelphia I have already seen final artwork for.

FYI: There is a Capitol Cachers group in New York, so you might want to watch what you call the series.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Geez why is everyone so catty? Okay so there may be two philadelphia geocoins who cares? People will buy what they want to buy why does everyone have to be so dramatic? I think that anyone should be able to make any coin they want to without everyone jumping down their backs about it and hey if he makes them and you don't like them, guess what, you don't have to buy them.

NO!!!!

Um yes, he was. Team Maddie UK (Lynn) worked with him on both London coin designs and was the distribution point for the UK orders.

Same for Singapore and Rome. He worked with a local from the countries, btw.

Finally same goes for the upcoming Sydney coin. THere was a local AU person that was partnered with.

I Beg to differ

Please be aware I am good friends with Lynn, but she is not a London Cacher, She lives in oswestry - 200 miles from London and is Canadian as my previous post stated!

Geez why is everyone so catty? Okay so there may be two philadelphia geocoins who cares? People will buy what they want to buy why does everyone have to be so dramatic? I think that anyone should be able to make any coin they want to without everyone jumping down their backs about it and hey if he makes them and you don't like them, guess what, you don't have to buy them.

Stick around a while and see. You haven't been around very long (no offense meant) so you haven't seen how things work.

Somebody realizes that coins are a good way to make money and suddenly is making a coin representing a place, or people, that the have no connection with. It started as a side hobby, with a few groups and people making coins for thier areas, and it turned into some type of emminent domain where it's "I can make anything I want".

Some people call this a community. In my eyes, that's now how a community acts.

Stick around a while and see. You haven't been around very long (no offense meant) so you haven't seen how things work.

Somebody realizes that coins are a good way to make money and suddenly is making a coin representing a place, or people, that the have no connection with. It started as a side hobby, with a few groups and people making coins for thier areas, and it turned into some type of emminent domain where it's "I can make anything I want".

Some people call this a community. In my eyes, that's now how a community acts.

I don't want to make anyone mad and you're right I haven't been around long it just scares me when I see people jumping down other peoples throats about a coin, but I can see your point about representing a city or group of people that they're not a member of.

I don't want to make anyone mad and you're right I haven't been around long it just scares me when I see people jumping down other peoples throats about a coin, but I can see your point about representing a city or group of people that they're not a member of.

Nobody's angry - just having a discussion here. Everybody's input is valuable - just giving you some background. :D

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing this whole series scraped. Let each area create their own coins, kind of how it has been done in the past. They know the area and the cachers there. Let the groups get back to making coins as a way to show off an area. Watching one person mint tons of coins for nothing more than making a profit does get old. Does everyone have to become a buisnessman off the backs of the community? I know I wouldn't want to see 1 person from Texas minting a PA or Pittsburgh coin here. If there is a need then the local groups will do as they have in the past, make the coin.

Let me give you an example..

Washington DC.. is a great city for geocaching..

There are somewhere around 200 caches in the greater DC area.

Just as an FYI, there has only ever been 112 caches EVER published in DC with never more than 76 at one time.

I want this to extend to other great Geocaching Cities.. I am already working on : New York .. Philadelphia .. Boston

I would say that people who live in the area would be better at making something for the area. And as someone who lives in Philadelphia, I don't think we need a Philadelphia coin. It's got some good caches but a "great geocaching city", I'm not so sure about. The area has it's own coin that everyone loves. If you want to buy one, we have a couple left!

Edited by ODragon

Let me give you an example..

Washington DC.. is a great city for geocaching..

There are somewhere around 200 caches in the greater DC area.

Just as an FYI, there has only ever been 112 caches EVER published in DC with never more than 76 at one time.

I want this to extend to other great Geocaching Cities.. I am already working on : New York .. Philadelphia .. Boston

I would say that people who live in the area would be better at making something for the area. And as someone who lives in Philadelphia, I don't think we need a Philadelphia coin. It's got some good caches but a "great geocaching city", I'm not so sure about. The area has it's own coin that everyone loves. If you want to buy one, we have a couple left!

I am in for a Phila coin..

Living next to New York City (and working in Manhatten) we have about 30 caches in the city, and the turn over \ muggle rate is pretty fast... there are some exceptions that hang around for a while, but out of 8 million people in Manhatten, I can count the number of New York City geocachers on my toes... all 11 of them :D:D I would say New York isn't a big or good caching city. :D