Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Jeepstr

Ham Licence questions

Assuming you are asking about the United States and the Technician Class exam:

It has been awhile since I tested, but my wife tested this last May. She tells me the test was about 30 questions and it took her less than a half-hour. In July, the FCC changed the question pool. Most agree that the test is easier now.

Check to see if there is a club in your area. Most clubs will offer a weekend class with the exam following. This is how both I and my wife did ours.

Good Luck.

Kent

How long does it take to take the test? and is it hard?

Technician is a 35 question, multiple choice, test with no time limit. It typically takes from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how well you prepare. 70% is required to pass.

You can find a simple tutorial here, which will have all the information you need to pass the technician test.

There are practice tests here, to see how you are doing.

Good luck!

Dave_W6DPS

I took it less than a month ago. It took me about nine minutes. You can get the ARRL Tech book from Amazon for about $25. Read it and take the twelve different versions of the test online and you're set. It really is a piece of cake.

I took my tech exam yesterday. I took my time and it took me less than 30 min. Out of 35 questions I missed one. Hopefully I will be listed in the ULS before Friday.

Take the practice test at qrz.com over and over again, study as well, and you should have no problems.

Good luck.

For more info try contacting Jim KC7NXP.. He's involved with the testing sessions here in Reno. Email me if you have any other questions.

Chris - KA7CJH

IRLP Node 3922..

I took the test when I was 14 (12 years ago). When I took it you studied a book called "Now You're Talking" which had sample questions in the back. Those questions are the exact questions that you would find on the test. If you knew them well you did just fine. Im not sure what books they have now for the test. Also, from what I hear you dont have to learn code anymore.

JTA

KE4JXA

I got my Tech ticket last month. I ordered from qrz.com Gordon West's Technician Class book. Got it on a Tuesday and finished it by Thursday. Took test the next Tuesday. I liked his book so much I got the General (next license step) along with the CW (Morse code) audio CDs. Took the General test last weekend and missed only one question! My focus is now on CW.

I highly recommend his books!!! They can be order from QRZ.COM or check the local library.

Tencap - KE5KWD

Ft Worth, TX

Edited by Tencap

I took my tech exam yesterday. I took my time and it took me less than 30 min. Out of 35 questions I missed one. Hopefully I will be listed in the ULS before Friday.

Yep, times have changed. It took me almost 3 months before I got my ticket. Ain't technology wonderful!

Edited by baloo&bd

Yep, times have changed. It took me almost 3 months before I got my ticket. Ain't technology wonderful!

Wasn't that terrible? Haha... I remember having my Radio Shack 202 handheld ready to operate and all I could do was listen for months. Technology is great (most of the time) :huh: !

JTA

KE4JXA

It might be more difficult for those who cannot spell license . . .

I've never met an American who can spell "licence" properly. :blink:

Its actually a little hard (it was for me) When I took the test last year, when I was 11, and got my lisence, so you should be able to get one :ph34r:

Edited by tad bc

It might be more difficult for those who cannot spell license . . .

I've never met an American who can spell "licence" properly. :D

Touche, geoSQUID ! :D

:D I write a lot of technical documents for a living and the American vs Canadian spelling issue comes up all the time. Ugh.

More to the original question though, the Canadian "Basic" exam was 80 multiple choice questions IIRC, and you need 70% to pass. The "Advanced" exam was similar in size. Morse code was 5 WPM for about 8 minutes or so - in essence a short paragraph. There wasn't a 13 WPM code test when I got my licence as Canada had already started to do away with CW requirements.