Good Micros?

miss_rachel

I've been reading over a lot of the threads in this forum recently, and it seems there's a lot of negativity towards micros hidden "in a lamppost at WalMart". I happen to like finding any kind, including micros... I find all caches exciting no matter what kind they are. Maybe that's just because I'm new to this...or call me a numbers hound, I don't care.

But from all you've learned about "lame micros" what would you consider a really good urban stealth micro hide? Just a really creative container and way of hiding? I'm considering looking around for a good place near me, and I think it would be great to hear what others have to say...

There is no one forumal for the job.

In general a good hide can be scenic. You brought the person to something worth seeing (and people vary in what's worth seeing)

A good hide may just be a creative goose chase with a prize a the end. Nothing spectacular about any one thing but it all comes together well.

A good hide may be a creative and unique cache container or a new hide style that hasn't been seen.

A good hide can be created by a Plain Jane Cache but a great cache story.

A good hide may be sucky in every other way, but you had a good day that day...

The simplest rule to follow is to use the largest container the area can support. The hide may support something larger than a micro and that won't change the hide or the cache but most people do appreciate the larger container.

But from all you've learned about "lame micros" what would you consider a really good urban stealth micro hide? Just a really creative container and way of hiding?

I don't think that just a creative container does it. I don't care how creative the container is, if its attached to the dumpster behind the 7-Eleven its a lame hide in my eyes.

For me there are 3 keys to a good cache hide, location, location and location. Every cache doesn't have to have a view of the Grand Canyon, but if you put it in a scenic or interesting spot, or at the the end of a pleasant walk you're on the right track.

By interesting, it could be an historic site, nice view, work of art, geological feature, oddity, etc... I realize that what is interesting varies from person but I'm sure most people don't find the loading dock behind a shopping mall, or a debris strewn lot to be appealing.

Before you place the cache ask yourself why you are bringing people there. If its just for the cache, consider another spot.

Yea . . . what he said!!!

I prefer creative containers or hides, that's what I try to do.

But remember, as time goes by, the greatest & most creative container/hide will become common-place or 'lame' as some say, simply due to repetition of a good idea.

So go ahead, place a hide & have fun . . . that is what is importent!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

If you are going to do a micro, and you want to avoid pessing people off, just look for a place that is appropriate for one.

I'd say the top qualifications for a good micro site are:

• not enough space/no hiding spot for a regular cache. (otherwise put a regular one there)
  • not in the woods or some natural area that would be destroyed by people looking for a tiny container ** unless the spot is clear or obvious enough to prevent that damage.
  • not a walmart lamp post
  • not a film canister in a tree unless there is no better option you can come up with

• small city parks too well traveled for regular caches are often good for micros

obviously some people have different opinions, and thats where the arguments come from.

For me there are 3 keys to a good cache hide, location, location and location. Every cache doesn't have to have a view of the Grand Canyon, but if you put it in a scenic or interesting spot, or at the the end of a pleasant walk you're on the right track.

By interesting, it could be an historic site, nice view, work of art, geological feature, oddity, etc... I realize that what is interesting varies from person but I'm sure most people don't find the loading dock behind a shopping mall, or a debris strewn lot to be appealing.

I agree-but there is more, in my view. There is a local cacher who has placed only a few caches, but each one is different from all others in the area. They are creative, fun, challenging and cachers come from miles around when he places a new one. Most are micros and few are in great locations. One is on a store, two are in front of restaurants.

Creativity counts a lot IMHO. I love a cache in a quiet location with a great view, but there are other sides to caching as well.

I also agree that if a larger size cache will fit the location, it is a good idea to go bigger. However, if a micro can be more challenging in an urban area, I'd go for the micro.

Have fun.

For me there are 3 keys to a good cache hide, location, location and location.

Before you can torment, you must learn to annoy. :laughing:

It's not urban, but the location is jusssst right. A 4 story high lava rock just covered with nooks ans crannys to hide a micro.

I gotten quite a few emails from finders and DNFrs on the pure evil of this hide. :blink:

A suburban fun micro in the woods I did was called Cachemass Tree. It was a 10 foot high, fully decorated Christmas Tree COVERED with about 300 film cannisters for ornaments. Only ONE held the log. ;)

Hi Rachel,

if you want to make a real good micro, do the following:

Find a tiny little container, make a tiny little logbook

Put both in an proper sized Ammo Can and place this Ammo Can somewhere you find people should go, because it is a cool location. Put a real notebook in the ammo can, so people can write something in.

A magnetic keyholder placed somewhere on a parking lot of the local mall is not as interessting as some place in nature.

The disadvantage is, that it takes some effort to hike somewhere or even leave a paved road, so some of the "232 caches a day" cachers probably don't like it.

If you can't resist to hide a micro, please state it, so people who prefer cool places over parking lots, bridges or drive-by locations can avoid them.

It would be nice to, if you just place the amount of caches you are actually able and willing to maintain. Some of the "numbers cachers" never log a DNF, therefore it is nice if you can check all your caches on a regular basis. Sometimes I find that people own 50+ caches and some are not found for 3 months, probably aren't there anymore, but the owner can't be asked to even write a little note or archive / replace them.

Just my 2 cents.

GermanSailor

Lots of good posts here. I started clicking the "quote" button but realized that I was going overboard, so I'll leave it at "same here."

If it's in a natural setting then make it a regular. If it's in a busy setting like a mall, then feel free to make it a micro (just don't put it in the parkinglot, and do something to make it earn its right to be there). Always challenge yourself, and always be creative. That's my two pesos' worth.

I have found that the best place for a micro ( forget about if it is lame, creative, good, bad, blah blah blah , nobody likes to argue ) is within a mile of a heavily travelled interstate. This way no matter what, loads of people from all around will visit it. Whenever I travel, I always check my route for quick caches along a route. Not because I like them ( a tend to skip over these in my area ) but just so I can break up a long car ride, even if for just a few minutes. That alone makes traveling much more fun. That and you can say you found a cache almost everywhere you go. :laughing:

Here in Plant City. Florida, I have tried to encourage some of our communities best hiders to come and cache, and place caches. In doing so, I have placed several regular caches (one of which has the beginnings of a TB hotel quite to my surprise), and yes..quite a few micros. I tried to make the micros at least be interesting places and named them accordingly. Most of our caches are also somehow movie-themed (just a fun thing for me and the family to add fun to the game).

When me and the spouse came across a unique memorial statue, we knew we had to place something nearby. We were able to combine our movie named theme series along with a truly devious hiding spot. Although this is the smallest of the small cache containers, we have received numerous compliments about it, with zero complaints. (If you are curious: GCYR4Z)

Yes, I agree, finding the same micros over and over again can be boring, but our kids love finding any kind of cache just for the fun of it. My personal philosophy on the whole game is that when it stops being fun, change the way you play. Just because you don't like micros, doesn't mean that I can't hide them.

At the same time, I love finding a big ammo can in the middle of downtown just fine. And in Lakeland, you can do that too.

I have been out of caching for about a year due to relocating but I am back into it now. Anyhow I love micro and urban caches. I find them more challenging then regular ammo cans hidden in the woods. DOnt get me wrong I like the ammo cans and the kids love the trade items but the hunt of the micros in a public park when there are people around make it fun to me.

I had a lot of really good micro and urban caches and I can recommend that the 3 things I do when I hid them.

1. Camo

2. Camo

3. CAMO!

:D

The more camoed they are the better response I had from the seekers. Think "natural" things like bolts, relfectors, rocks...etc..I always try and think about what it is people see everyday but pay no attention to them or it and then try and make a cache resemble or out of it. You will get lots of good reviews and stump a lot of people in the process. I guess the other thing to remember is to make it known out front that it is a micro. Some people dont like micros at all and others like me would rather try and find a micro first over a full size cache anyday.

Contrary to some earlier comments, just because a area can support ammo-spew (larger container) does not make it appropriate. Appropriate is what and where you decide. There will be those that disagree with your hide, however just the fact that you are asking tells many you are probably going to do just fine.

Back to your original question however, whether you choose to place it in an urban setting or in the woods it appears most are looking for some sort of thought or creativity in the hide. What is frustrating to most is the container that was just tossed out, attached to a dumpster or put under a rock/log without too much thought.

There have been many urban micros attached magnetically or otherwise that have been camoed in such a way that it is 1. not readily evident and 2. took some thought. Many of the micros hidden in nature are popular because of the same reasons as well as not being just a "walk right up to it" like most of the larger containers. Properly placing them takes a little work to do as well as finding them. Frustrating for the number hounds but all in all rewarding in the end. Rainwater has the right idea.

Keep in mind, your not going to please everyone and while getting suggestions here help, the forums contain a very small percentage of cachers. The local flavor is what you need to look at most.

Edited by baloo&bd

Obviously any answer will be subjective to the individual's specific likes & dislikes.

For the Riffster Clan, a film canister or hide-a-key will always be lame, even if it's on top of Mt Everest.

Our goal in hiding a cache is to reduce the L.Q., (lameness quotiant), as much as possible. The first step for us is to evaluate the location. A good location is most important, but not critical. An average location can be saved through the use of a good container and an interesting write up.

For instance, a couple of our puzzle caches required locations with no repeating numbers, such as 28* 12.345 / 081* 67.890. Several hours of punching in variables into Google Earth created a few possibilities, and we scouted these out looking for the best. There was nothing spectacular at any of them, but we managed to find pleasant spots. All of those locations received well camo'ed ammo cans. These are examples of average locations being saved by the write up, (puzzle), and the container. Nothing but positive logs so far.

Once you have a nice location, pick a good container. I subscribe to the axiom of letting the location determine the container. Consider your choices carefully before hiding a micro. How many threads have you seen in here with a topic of, "I hate ammo cans!"? I will only hide a micro in a spot that won't support a larger container. If it has to be a micro, then use a good micro container. If you use a film canister or a hide-a-key, expect folks to be disappointed by soggy logs. Waterproof (?) match containers and bison tubes are examples of quality micro containers, and you can buy them for about a buck. When you hide your micro, put it in a spot that won't cause folks to trample the nearby vegitation.

Once your hide is made, spend some time creating a nice write up page. Tell the story of why that spot is special, either historically, or why you like it. Make it something folks will enjoy reading.

Now you have your anti-L.Q. trifecta:

Good location, good container & good write up = good hide.

But from all you've learned about "lame micros" what would you consider a really good urban stealth micro hide? Just a really creative container and way of hiding?

I don't think that just a creative container does it. I don't care how creative the container is, if its attached to the dumpster behind the 7-Eleven its a lame hide in my eyes.

Is BrianSnat ever wrong? I agree with this, there is quite the trend towards the alleged "clever" parking lot micro. If it's in the parking lot near the dumpster, and serves no purpose other than another smiley for the ho's, it's lame, in my opinion.

So the OP is asking the Puritan crowd about how not to hide a lame micro? Interesting, but I don't live ridiculously far away (judging by the one multi cache hide and finds in her profile), and the "lame micro" is pretty much unheard of in your region anyways. So don't do it!! :D Seriously though, try to emulate some of the well-known placers in your particular area, no matter where it is.

I'll agree with others. Location, location, location. Show the people something interesting, that they wouldn't normally have discovered without geocaching. Find some historical information about the area, Google is your friend, in this case. I'd endorse the "small urban park micro" even, using this criteria, but there are many in the Puritan camp who would consider that more spew, and another quick smiley for people.

I'm not fond of micros in lamp post bases. Any location that warrants a cache that can be put into a lamp post base, could probably support something better. I've seen some great micros that are in plain sight but are camoed or disguised so that they aren't muggled. For example, rather than a magnetic micro hidden behind a guardrail (especially if it is between the guardrail and support post), how about a reflector? How about a magnetic junction box cover plate on the outside of the lamp post rather than something under the base? Or how about a fake sprinkler head in the planter next to the light post? Beyond that, if a cache is going to be hidden under the base, it could be much larger than some of the tiny micros I've been seeing.