Town would like to indorse geocaching

cargo247

Hi

I am writing to get some help and ideas.

I work for the town of Richmond Hill in Ontario, Canada and I have approached the C.A.O.

about having the town indorse the use of there parks and historical sites for

geocaching.

The C.A.O. loves the idea and so does economic development.

I have a meeting coming up with them soon.

Here is a link to my cache in the town that they are going on.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ab-eb0e8b53953c

OR GCQM9Z

Can you help with what we can and can not do?

Can we put the town logo on the cache web site? Like the ones that say (geocoins

have been seen in this cache)

With all the trouble with parks Canada, having the town the size of Richmond

Hill on are side would be nice.

Thank you

Todd field aka cargo247

Maybe a series of real professional cache hides (ones that require the pockets of city treasury!) Like Road pylons that unscrew to reveal the container, underground mazes, Fake Fire connections (better clear this though..), fake trees and rocks, maybe even a town monument dedicated to "The Hunt", with a plexyglass encased, leatherbound notebook! :blink:

Oh, and get a geocoin out there too; thats the best way to advertise! It lets people from the outside know all about the great caching in Richmond Hill. :laughing:

Maybe a series of real professional cache hides (ones that require the pockets of city treasury!) Like Road pylons that unscrew to reveal the container, underground mazes, Fake Fire connections (better clear this though..), fake trees and rocks, maybe even a town monument dedicated to "The Hunt", with a plexyglass encased, leatherbound notebook! :blink:

Oh, and get a geocoin out there too; thats the best way to advertise! It lets people from the outside know all about the great caching in Richmond Hill. :laughing:

I can try to get that all for you juice lol

There is lots of cool parks and places in town that most dont see, see what i can do.

But 1st i need to setup one just across the lake in keswick just to drive you nuts LOL.

Maybe a series of real professional cache hides (ones that require the pockets of city treasury!) Like Road pylons that unscrew to reveal the container, underground mazes, Fake Fire connections (better clear this though..), fake trees and rocks, maybe even a town monument dedicated to "The Hunt", with a plexyglass encased, leatherbound notebook! :laughing:

I assumed that the OP was affiliated with the city somehow, already. The cache he mentioned is a multi with the waypoints semi-permanently installed in the gardens of a city park. I figured he must have some good connections to make that work. :blink:;)

dave

Maybe a series of real professional cache hides (ones that require the pockets of city treasury!) Like Road pylons that unscrew to reveal the container, underground mazes, Fake Fire connections (better clear this though..), fake trees and rocks, maybe even a town monument dedicated to "The Hunt", with a plexyglass encased, leatherbound notebook! :laughing:

Oh, and get a geocoin out there too; thats the best way to advertise! It lets people from the outside know all about the great caching in Richmond Hill. :blink:

There is lots of cool parks and places in town that most dont see, see what i can do.

But 1st i need to setup one just across the lake in keswick just to drive you nuts LOL.

nuts no more, those were my early days! And as I recall, you still havent been able to get my puzzles on the left coast!

What is your affiliation with Richmond Hill?

If they are all for geocaching, just give them a quick rundown of what it is, and place a few caches. It would be a good idea if the city would put up a webpage for this as well. If you do go with a logo, just have the cache owners dl it from the city site and place it on there cache page. It could include a link to the city page, especially if there are any regulations that they will be placing on caching on there lands. Remember the CITO idea as well. This always looks good for land managers.

I have attended some workshops down in the US and here in Canada on Geocaching and there are some great setups that local parks and gov'ts have used to enhance the experience of visiting their parks.

One is Cleveland Metroparks:

Cleveland Metroparks Geocaching Program

I have talked with them and they really understand how it's a win-win situation.

Closer to home our own Hard Oiler has done a great job of introducing it into his local area in Petrolia:

Petrolia Geocaching Program

Swifteroo has worked tirelessly with Simcoe County Trails:

Simcoe County Trails

We (OGA) visited the Wye Marsh people last spring and introduced Geocaching to them. They now have setup a GPS program there:

Wye Marsh GPS Program

For a list of other organizations that support Geocaching, visit this page:

OGA Spotlight Page

It works great! We are a growing crowd of travellers who love to explore new areas. We respect the environment around us and love to talk about our experiences - encouraging others to visit what we have enjoyed.

Best of luck with your endeavour.

I've worked really hard here in Simcoe County to promote caching and work with the OPP, Orillia and Barrie Parks and Rec, Simcoe County Trails, Lake Simcoe and Nottawasaga Valley conservation authorities as well as a pile of Trails organizations and committees. All of them have been extremely receptive and understanding.

If you want any assistance with how to approach them or what you can do to help them "Get it", let me know! Feel free to email me at swiftone at rogers dot com.

I was contacted directly by the OP, and responded to him via Email.

Copy provided: sent 04 Nov 06

Hello Todd:

There are several items of note in regard to your letter. I will try my best to cover each of them individually so you can use them in your own presentation. I do not work for Groundspeak (Geocaching) nor am I involved with them directly. I do however know several volunteer reviewers and based upon my five years of participation, have learned some of the ins and outs. I am also sending this reply to our Information Officer so that she is informed of this request for support.

Use of Images on Cache Listings: Images can be incorporated into any cache listing provided they are not of a commercial nature. Cache listings may not solicit, or promote any political agenda. However, use of a "Town Logo" as means to identify that the town is aware and supports the listing is a great way to show that permission has been received. Further text in the listing should be also added to illustrate this. As an example "This Geocache was approved by the Town of Richmond Hill - Economic Development". It doesn't have to be there, but it is a nice addition to let people know that permission was received, or least the town is aware.

Endorsing locations: Provided that the town has the authority to speak for the historic sites and parks, they can regulate their use as they see fit. Most times, I would recommend that any caches placed should not physically affect any item of historical significance. For example, the cache should not be hidden in the brickwork of an historic building. Instead use a location near the site. The listing should state something along those lines too, like "You will not need to make physical contact with the historic building at the site, please do not search the building itself."

It is important to note that Groundspeak (the Geocaching people) are only providing a "Listing Service" and as such have very little control over the physical location. They control the content that is listed on their website, and assume that anyone that places a geocache has read the full listing requirements and received permission from any land owner involved.

As for the town actually wanting to utilize geocaching as a tourism vehicle, as is the implication of your email, normally this is not a problem. As long as there are no commercial requirements anyone can create geocache listings that highlight key areas and encourage people to discover their local surroundings. If the town wishes to develop a tourism approach, one of the key items is marketing. Making the listing interesting and the locations chosen to be enjoyable is what will make the project succeed. Nothing turns geocachers off more than going to a geocache and wondering why they were brought there. If the plan is to provide locations of historical importance, then include such content on the listing page as well as in the form of reading material within the geocache itself. Using code words found in each location that are emailed or submitted via an online form work well for promoting involvement, but if there is a monetary aspect to participate then the listing will be declined without question, as that will be viewed as a commercial endevour. Mixing geocache types is also a good idea. Several traditional caches, with some multi-cache walking tours and puzzles makes for a great way to see the town, the important locations and promotes family and healthy options for the citizens and visitors. The town of Richmond Hill probably already knows what locations they would like to attract more people to see, as well as what is rich in history. While this activity won't have a huge impact on tourism, it will allow them to see how people are enjoying these locations and also provides a method of demonstrating how they are trying to provide opportunities that showcase and highlight key areas for revitalization.

If we can be of any further help, please send us another email.

OGA - Admin

:rolleyes: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

Maybe a series of real professional cache hides (ones that require the pockets of city treasury!) Like Road pylons that unscrew to reveal the container, underground mazes, Fake Fire connections (better clear this though..), fake trees and rocks, maybe even a town monument dedicated to "The Hunt", with a plexyglass encased, leatherbound notebook! :huh:

Oh, and get a geocoin out there too; thats the best way to advertise! It lets people from the outside know all about the great caching in Richmond Hill. :huh:

nuts no more, those were my early days! And as I recall, you still havent been able to get my puzzles on the left coast!

What is your affiliation with Richmond Hill?

Hi juice

No, I have not been able to get over there for sometime but I will,

As for my work I work for the town in the sign dept and there is about

3 out of 500 that work for the town that geocache that I know of.

I just though that what a nice way for people to see some of the parks and

Historical spots in town, and in the set up there will be a mult of all the caches

Stay tuned

Talk to you soon

Hi all

Thanks for all your help your suggestion will come in handy

when I meet with the town.

Just a note I received this letter from Groundspeak pr dept read on.

-------------------------------

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in promoting Geocaching at a city level.

Unfortunately, a cache this is placed and supported by the city directly would

be considered a commercial cache listing on the website. However, we are

currently reviewing the guidelines and plan to introduce a new cache type to

help serve this community. A “promotional cache†listing is being developed

and should be available in the next 3 - 4 weeks. In the meantime, it is

certainly a great service to educate the city on the benefits of geocaching, the

worldwide community, our commitment to the environment, etc. We are also

creating a Geocaching Guide that will summarize the activity. Depending on when

your meeting is, these brochures may be available. Certainly keep me posted on

your progress and let me know how I may be of further assistance to you.

Best Regards,

Shauna Maggs

Groundspeak

I just hope they don’t charge for this as the town will not go for it!

I will keep you all up to date

Bye for now

Cargo247

Anyone wishing to get a local government 'on side' in the tourism advantages of Geocaching, would do well to review the work done by 'Sticky Moose' in Wilberforce, Ontario through the past year or so. Not only is the local municipal government very supportive, but the entire business community is involved as well as the Ministry of Transport, whom I believe have recently approved the installation of highway signage that appropriately promotes the 'WGS' - (Wilberforce and Greater Surroundings) as the "Geocaching Capital of Canada". 'Sticky Moose' has already organized two significant 'events', the latest of which was a hallowe'en theme, that involved a significant number of local drama talent in searching for the remains of 'Leweena Gizzardstone'. A well planned 'event' and some significant geocaches in the area, will go a long way to promote any locality. It's a win-win for both the community and the geocachers.