In the rain?

ghadrw

We are having a GeoCaching event next weekend and unfortunately it looks like showers are in the forecast.

I know, in theory, GPSr's should work in that weather but wondering what the experience of others have been with this type of weather in the past. The good, the bad, the muddy

(One good side - it certainly will keep the muggle count down)

Rain degrades both GPS reception and event attendance. However, we in Alaska have a theory - we play outdoors, so rain or shine the game's on! Of course, heavy snow and severe cold degrades cacher AND gps performance... a bit of common sense is a good thing. I've been out in -15 F weather happily caching along (that's tough on cheap plastic containers, by the way), and my friends up Fairbanks way don't think it's too inclement until it's in the sub-thirty range to venture forth. Just going to be a matter of what the locals think is too inclement...

The first event we attended was very rainy. In fact there were some places that were flooded. I think we had even more fun than we would have had if it had been dry. It was an adventure trekking through the inch deep mud to find a cache. Not to mention the multi where the stream that was usually only an inch or so deep was over a foot deep and we had to find the best place to cross!! We have a lot of really fun memories from that day. :laughing:

Reception may be a little less than optimum, but will still be plenty good enough to find caches. If the trees are losing leaves you will find that reception is actually better than in the summer months. Rainy weather may stop a few fair-weather cachers, but there will still be plenty of die-hards left to attend your event. Now that they make Gore Tex everything, caching in the rain isn't uncomfortable at all if you're dressed for it. The significantly lower muggle count is an advantage too. You'll have a great time at your event!

Caching in good weather? What is that? :laughing:

Except for one, all the events I have attended had some form of bad or nasty weather.

Caching in the rain is still a lot of fun, I was at the same event as queen_ladybug and we all had a blast. I've also hunted in the rain at other events, you just take your waterproof boots, a rain coat, and go anyway.

The first event we attended was very rainy. In fact there were some places that were flooded. I think we had even more fun than we would have had if it had been dry. It was an adventure trekking through the inch deep mud to find a cache. Not to mention the multi where the stream that was usually only an inch or so deep was over a foot deep and we had to find the best place to cross!! We have a lot of really fun memories from that day. :D

Over a foot deep if I recall that creek was over a boot deep :D

There was a lot of rain at the Geocaching Weekend 2006 at Pennyrile Forest State Park. We hung out inside trying to wait out the rain Saturday morning but once we got wet we really had fun the rest of the day. If you can find a way to get the nuts to the event they will cache, and hopefully have fun doing it.

GEO.JOE

I've geocached in the rain plenty of times. It's not the rain itself that causes problems, it's when all the wet branches and leaves above you that block the signal.

Bad_CRC - Nice avatar! I've never seen trees growing sideways like that, but I have seen jeeps in that position.

Edited by JaySTE