Duck Boards?

Klemmer

John says...You use one when cooking your duck..place it under the duck in the roaster to allow the fat to drain off the duck when cooking...then when duck is done cooking, you throw away the duck and eat the board. :mad:

I used TheFreeDictionary.com and got this -

duck·board Pronunciation (dkbôrd, -brd)

n.

A board or boardwalk laid across wet or muddy ground or flooring.

Maybe?

Shirley~

Ok, I haven't ever used one, but here's a shot. It looks like duckboards, or duck boards, or duck-boards, are any board or large/long piece of wood laid down on mud or a surface to increase traction and facilitate work. Here's a picture of a military duckboard from Wikipedia:

300px-Chateau_Wood_Ypres_1917.jpg

Here's the Merriam-Webster online dictionary definition: a boardwalk or slatted flooring laid on a wet, muddy, or cold surface -- usually used in plural

Extrapolating to surveying, I bet duckboards would be boards put down on top of this tank to make the surveying easier; probably so that the legs of the surveyor's tripod/instrument could be supported, or supported more easily. It eavens out the ground, as it were.

Edited by BuckBrooke

I would agree with BuckBrooke that the boards are probably put down on the top of the tank for the surveyor to walk on. I've seen surveyors set up in environmentally sensitive areas where boards have been set up around the instrument to prevent damage to the surrounding ground. A similar walkway could have been used on the top of the tank.

- Kewaneh

...in Central PA we use "chicken boards" when painting a roof (especially the old standing seam 'tin' barn roofs) - normally you would have flat boards w/ "rungs" nailed to them tied together end-to-end & hang them on each side of the point of the roof ...for obvious reasons.

...so do you think somebody climed up there for the 1996 Not Found recovery?

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I sort of thought that's what they were getting at, but never guessed it was a more or less "standard" term. I figured it was one of the specialized surveying terms, ya know? But I DO like John's idea!

BTW: I was just down there, the whole thing is gone, so I didn't have to climb up to the top to claim it. Darn.. uhhh... Good! OK, there WAS a disk there, but I'll submit it to Deb anyway for destruction (which she will usually do with adequate evidence). Another building near my office with a disk on the roof just bit the dust (literally!) this week. I've got a whole series of pics sof that one going down. Will advise / link if they come out good.