Two Part Coin

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

I am looking at doing a coin thats needs to interlock. What I am looking for is ingenious ideas for doing this. Whoever comes up with the idea first I use will get a free coin plus an LE of something else.

I am thinking a round coin probably 38-45 mm, but would be open to other shapes.

It would probably be best to post here, to avoid duplicates, but if it is something so cool, that you don't want to share it here e-mail me through my profile.

Thanks

Edited by southbayday

Can you elaborate just a little more? Are you looking for ideas on how to make them interlock (ie like a puzzle) or more of a mechanism to make them lock? Or are you just looking for art?

If your looking for a neat way to have them interlock then I have a fantastic idea. The 2 coins would connect similarly to an old belt buckle I used to have, when I was like 4, so think early 80's. the two pieces would come together at a 90 degree angle, then fold down into each other essentially holding them together. I tried to make an image, but this is a hard one to portray...

interlock_top.jpginterlock_side.jpg

Edited by UOTrackers

Hmmm... We have not seen many that are not round so I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas out there and this one has probably already been done but how about A mirco fitting into the centre of a disc? Well at least the balls rolling. We will keep an eye on this to see what cool ideas people come up with :laughing:

Can you elaborate just a little more? Are you looking for ideas on how to make them interlock (ie like a puzzle) or more of a mechanism to make them lock? Or are you just looking for art?

I am actually, Not looking for art at this point. I am looking for more the mechanics of how to fit together / interlock two coins or two pieces to make a single coin / piece.

I am actually, Not looking for art at this point. I am looking for more the mechanics of how to fit together / interlock two coins or two pieces to make a single coin / piece.

I was in the midst of editing my post when you asnwer this, so check it out now. To be fair to my husband he says you should use a "toung and groove" kinda like the way some drawers fit into their casings...another idea I had was to have a sort of hallow coin where a smaller one fits inside like a sleeping bag?

Edited by UOTrackers

another idea I had was to have a sort of hallow coin where a smaller one fits inside like a sleeping bag?

I like that idea - one coin acts as a sort of pouch for the smaller coin.

On a separate note, if you don't mind the combined coins taking up a big chunk of space, you could design a vertical slot into one coin, then slide the second coin through the first coin so that they would be perpendicular to each other. The second coin would probably need some kind of groove in the top and bottom edges so that it could "snap" into place. If it was done properly, the combined coins could probably stand up on their own since each is supporting the other.

-SK

Steve:

a belt buckle system would work well. One piece a little bit smaller would fit through the larger piece which would have a slot of some shape in it. Once you insert the smaller one into the larger one, you could have a locking mechanism (rotate by a certain degree of overlap) to make it one coin.

I sent you an e-mail with a sketch.

Edited by OshnDoc

Two ideas come to mind.

The first is the have a slot from the top to the center in one and the bottom to the center in the other. Then you slide the two together (slot over slot) to connect them. Sort of this idea.

,.. ... .........

/ | | \ / \

/ | | \ / \

( |_| ) ( _ )

\ / \ | | /

\ / \ | | /

`----' `--' '--'

So from the top it would look like a plus. You could do some neat stuff with artwork since the pic on half of one coin would be by the pic on half the other when assembled.

The other idea would be have a regular coin and a microcoin. Have a slot in the center of the big coin the width of the micro, and on the microcoin have two slots on opposite sides that go almost to the centre (so it looks almost like a fat rounded H). Then you could insert the microcoin half way into the big coin, turn it 90 degrees, and it would be fastened. You could do a ridge of metal on the big coin at the proper spot to help act as a block so the coin holds in place better.

/ _ \ .....

/ | | \ / \

( | | ) == ==

\ |_| / \ /

\ / `'''''

`----'

Edit: Okay, ASCII graphics don't work well in HTML. But my two ideas are basically the two that got posted while I was trying to draw circles in ASCII to show what I was talking about.

Edited by islander1988

How about something like this:

a94369ab-14d3-450b-8971-04570ea69c47.jpg

In the top two images the black is metal and the white is cut out (or even just recessed). So the right "coin" would fit into the left coin.

In the bottom two images the black is metal the white is cut out (or even just recessed) and the grey is raised metal so the right coin fits into the left coin.

I don't know anything about coin making so these might not even be possible, just thought they might be neat.

Edited by WildGooseChase

Do you expect this design to be such that the coins would be more permanently locked together (ala the belt buckle), or just interlocked (ala gears or ying-yang style)?

Also, do you expect the coin to be die struck, meaning that there can be no 'overlapping' features on a coin, like a ridge or tab sticking out over the surface of the coin?

A few simple variations would be dovetail or puzzle shapes that fit together smoothly. If you want it to actually "lock" you could simply make a thread and heavy washer ring that are both threaded. They would simply screw together tightly by ending either or both of the threads before passing completely through each other. The last way I can think of would be similar to a blacksmith's puzzle rings. You know where the rings are like a washer but have a small cut at one point with perfect 45 degree angles so that the two rings when put at 90 degrees to each other would slip past one another and "lock" together. :mad:

Hmm . . . those are very intersting, but not sure I would want to wrestle over the patent issues and really only at least at this poin looking for a two part coin.

The reasoning behind the patent system is that you can get exclusive limited time rights to an Implementation of an idea, but in exchange you have to show the details of your idea to everyone else.

My point of posting these two patents is to give you a starting point for interlocking flat objects. Of course you would be making an interlocking geocoin and it would certainly have different shapes and purposes than the patents I listed.

Just look over some of these patents to get basic ideas about how other people have solved this problem... it's really no different than if you were to end up replicating the first idea posted here (belt buckle), which I'm sure someone has patented in so far as it pertains to making belts.

Here's another idea that would involve some special mechanics added to at least 1 coin:

Take the idea of the spinning Satellite Series or Geocache chooser geocoin, but replace the fixed spinning axle with a spring pin like you would find on a watch band.

Hmmm...what about pins that hold it together...like the kind on watches. But if you're anything like me, you'll loose the pins when taking it apart. Or...have a small hole that goes the whole way thru both sections of the coin, with one long, snug-fitting pin/nail that holds them together.

I like Crop Circle's idea, but I would be afraid of wearing of the coin along the connection. Probably would not be a problem if there was no enamel there.

I also like the magnet idea. I wonder if you can run magnets along the sides of the coin sections, where they join.

Geochums is working on one that uses a magnet.

Looks like there are a couple of magnetic designs (I have one too) in the works - exciting!

You can probably get a good deal on rare earth magnets and have the mint epoxy the magnet to the edge of the coin. Since coins don't weigh much you don't need a large surface area. The trick is to get a magnet that is the same thickness as the coin.

Another thing to do is contact the mint and see what technologies they've used before. I've been inspired by some of the work they have done on other projects (not geocoins). Suncatcher started this way.

You could do something as simple as a custom die cut coin in any shape that could interlock to make a 3D coin.

squaresep.jpgsquare.jpg

I really like this 3D idea!

Back on September 13th I submitted this idea to a mint to do a 3-D SnowFlake. Still working on the logistics of the design with the designer. Will keep you updated.

I had another idea, but it wouldn't be something you had to put together, it would already be together. 2 coins, each with their onw designs, front and back. One side of each would have to be very flat, and almost slippery (for lack of better word). Put a pin in the top of the two so that they slide apart to be seen, but are always together.

Well are you gopnna let out what the idea is??? I am curious to see how you are gonna do this.

Hmm . . . not quite sure how much info I can give at this moment, but . . . it is one of the concepts in this thread . . . and it will be given out as part of the GOODIE BAG at GEOCOINFEST

I will be able to reveal a little more about it in a few days.

But you can check out geocoinfest 2007 at http://www.geocoinfest.com/

Oh goodie I am getting a goodie bag so I get one!! HOORAY!

Actually, you are only going to get half of that coin in your goodie bag! :ph34r:

You'll have to earn the second half. :ph34r:

Grrr! dadgum that AG is fast! Doesn't she have anyplace better to hang out?!? :anibad:

Edited a second time to say this...In my last edit, I used a word that sounds like "dam". When I hit the submit button, it was automatically edited to "dadgum." Pretty cool.

Edited by Cornerstone4

You get 1/2 of one.

It more closer to a third of a coin. The other part is off in Them Yonder Hills... :ph34r:

The design is part of the Geocoin Quest Game:

The GeoCoin Quest, sponsored by Hogwild Stuff, will combine geocoins and geocaching. Do you have what it takes to unite the two Quest pieces? Attendees who preregister will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet. The half-coin reveals coordinates to a nearby cache which contains a clue to where the other half is hidden. Geocachers will then embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin! (kid friendly, no puzzles and not terribly hard)

You get 1/2 of one.

It more closer to a third of a coin. The other part is off in Them Yonder Hills... :ph34r:

The design is part of the Geocoin Quest Game:

The GeoCoin Quest, sponsored by Hogwild Stuff, will combine geocoins and geocaching. Do you have what it takes to unite the two Quest pieces? Attendees who preregister will recieve half a Quest coin in their pre-registration packet. The half-coin reveals coordinates to a nearby cache which contains a clue to where the other half is hidden. Geocachers will then embark on a fun adventure to find and retrieve a second part to the coin! (kid friendly, no puzzles and not terribly hard)

Well, that part remains to be seen. Since the event is out here, they had to leave it up to me to set the cache up. (They needed coords for the coin half.)

They told me to make it fun...but they didn't say what their definition of "fun" is. :ph34r:

The cache is a multi, within easy walking distance...however, there are a lot of waypoints...some lead to dead ends, others lead you in a circle...there is only 1 "correct" way to get there! (Although, if you're lucky, you many see someone coming out of the bushes in just the right spot!)

I have been contemplating a coin like this. I'll have to do it in paint but I think you'll get the point. When I was a kid we used to have quarter wars. You stand a quarter on its edge and place your pointer finger on top. Then you flick the side of the coin causing it to spin, if two people did this at once you would try to knock over your opponents coin first or make your coin spin longer than the opponent. The winner got both coins. Well I got a hold of an electric grinder and cut a groove half way down the diameter of two coins and slid them together for the resulting effect. I sold these for a dollar and made quite a bit of profit till the fad eventually died.

coin2wz5.png

If you planned it correctly there could be four views, or four sides to the coin (black arrows), which would create a cool diarama like spinning coin.