My first DDNF

Foinavon

Just had my first Double Did Not Find, i.e I went back to a cache that I didn't find and still missed it.

It was This One. Its a bit annoying as I am one of 150 and I just can't cross the line.

Usually I wait until someone else has found it to ensure its not been muggled but last week I had been a bit dumb and totally misunderstood the clue so having worked that out I returned but still missed it.

Just wondering with regards to DNF's

(i) How many times have people repeatedly been back to the same cache and not found it?

(ii) Whats the longest time you have searched for one cache and then either found it or not?

I spent 45 minutes looking for Gorge us view but I did get it. I also searched for Lead Mines Clough for about the same time this time without success but it turned out it had been muggled.

(iii) Have you ever not been able to find a virtual,earthcache or even an event? I still have dreams about where Fish at Razor City might be!

I had to have 3 goes at "Suspension" in Chester which I think is my record.

My longest search is about 1 hour and a half for a cache in Richmond, Virginia. It was 15 foot from a path according to the clue near a tree (there were hundreds). I kept walking a 15ft line from the path through dense undergrowth in 30C heat and near 100% humidity. It was soon after the white jeeps were released and there was one in the cache. I never found it and then got hopelessly lost on the way back to the car as I lost all GPS signal.

I've always found earthcaches and events, although I know of one Wirral based cacher who didn't find an event in Chester. :laughing:

Edited by Pieman

Fish at Razor City

Ohhh we found that one very easily...... Not. We climbed all over that structure, paddled around for hours...

We never let it beat us though, got there in the end, after quite a few trips out there.

Pengy

Found this one on our 2nd visit - total search time must have been about 1.5 hours!

We were not prepared to leave without finding it on the 2nd visit - it's too b-----y hard pushing the buggy across all the sand!!!!!

The Jones'

IMGP1725.jpg

Our very first find was the Berry badge and Keyring exchange.

It was rather wet in that area but there is an easier drier route to take,shame we didnt find it in the first place but it was fun!

Not as wet as we got Bob! Remember this on your Jonny Cash series?

map.jpg

Took us about an hour all told but we never gave up! :laughing:

Cheers

Dave

IMGP1725.jpg

Our very first find was the Berry badge and Keyring exchange.

It was rather wet in that area but there is an easier drier route to take,shame we didnt find it in the first place but it was fun!

Not as wet as we got Bob! Remember this on your Jonny Cash series?

map.jpg

Took us about an hour all told but we never gave up! :laughing:

Cheers

Dave

REMEMBER IT??? I will NEVER forget how much we roared laughing when we read your logs on it!

July 24 by The Mars Bars (742 found)

You would think that two grown men with over 800 finds between them would know better than to follow that devilish arrow regardless of terrain.....

....Well apparently not.

We managed to turn this simple cache into our own version of "Apocalypse Now".

After nearly 30 minutes of crashing about in reeds and nettles taller than either of us,

we decided to check our position on the PDA.

We were in actual fact stood in an area that is usually part of the lake!

This would explain why I kept falling over and sinking thigh deep in smelly mud.

Thanks Andy for getting me, quite literally, "out of the mire"...several times!!!

By this time we had given up trying to avoid getting dirty or stung and decided that we had no option but to turn back.

A decision that any right minded person would have made 29 minutes earlier!

We were a bit quicker getting out as we threw any remaining caution to the wind...

50 minutes after setting off down what we considered to be a "cachers trail" we emerged back onto the same footpath.

Glad to have survived, covered in mud, spores, and flies, stung and bitten,

we checked the map and followed the normal route to an easy find....

July 24 by gingerbreadmen (403 found)

Oh Dear God!

This had to be THE most difficult cache I have ever had the misfortune to look for. After part two Mr MarsBar & self looked at our GPSs and follwed the arrow, what a stupid, fundamental error. The grasses towering above our heads should have been the first clue, then the nettles even taller and brambles that entwined our legs should have sent us scurrying back to civilisation and sanity but sheer bloody-mindedness drove us on, drove us on into knee high mud and blood sucking insects. Strange little eddys appeared in pools as we waded across, what caused them? I think I shall find out in my nightmares tonight. Abandoned footballs and assorted rubbish blocked our path, strange earie voices could be heard in the distance, I'm certain I saw some japanese soldiers lurking about convinced that WW2 had not yet finished. Eventually discretion overcame valour and we retraced our footsteps (basically the path we had trampled through the jungle) back to the footpath, where three hundred metres further on we discovered the cache, it could have been that easy.

Only later when checking our PDAs did we discover that we had actually been walking through what had until recently been the middle of the lake, obviously semi-dried out by the recent hot spell.

What fun!

We are still laughing now!

Edited by LollyBob

I had about 3 or 4 DNF's at Vale Park on the wirrel. Probaly more if you count the times I couldn't get near because of muggles.

I too had 3 DNF's on this cache... and I had my hand on it once, and never realised either.

It is known affectionaltely as my Nemesis cache - but I'm glad to say I have now got it off my dnf list!!!!

For my self preservation, I blank THAT one Andy.

We know another person that you regularly talk to in the chat room (or did) that had several plus DNF's on this cache, so whilst out caching with him one day we went along to help him and found it in 10 minutes :mad:

although actually he found it that time :)

We went back to one in Sunderland by Pie Man 4 times, clue was under a stone and how many stones were there....oh and slugs the Mackem slugs are killers :P

M :(

(i) How many times have people repeatedly been back to the same cache and not found it?

We must have been back 4 or 5 times to Polynesian Yellow Quarter Isle before finally finding it. We even knew what we were looking for on the 2nd or 3rd time but it was so well hidden we just could not see it. We did eventually find it after doing one of the cache owners other similar hides nearby and getting an idea on how he puts a twist on things.

(ii) Whats the longest time you have searched for one cache and then either found it or not?

Hmmm - honestly cannot remember but we've searched for over an hour on quite a few caches in the past - usually to find they are muggled - we tend to move on a lot sooner than this now if we cannot find it, especially if a long way from home as time is short.

(iii) Have you ever not been able to find a virtual,earthcache or even an event?

No problems so far :mad:

The cache that we repeatedly went back to was "The Land Of The Giants" That took 4 attempts. In desperation to find this cache I even printed out a spoiler pic and took that with me. I am glad nobody was around as I looked like a right one stood there with this photograph trying to see where it was taken from. I worked it out and went to look for it. As I walked to the area I saw a pile of sticks, they were not there on my last 3 visits thats for sure. Oh I was mad and happy at the same time. I filled out the log book and replaced the cache.....then I chucked all the flaming sticks away! I thought if I had problems finding it, so can everyone else! :):mad:

The most DNFs I've had for one cache is 3. It was one of the first I tried, before I had a gps, but I've been back twice since with the gps and failed again, even though everyone else seems to find it really easily! I was intending to steel myself and go back again one day, but it's not showing in my cache list now - it looks as if it's archived and hidden. Oh, well...

I've often spent well over an hour searching, sometimes successfully and sometimes not.

Fish at Razor City

Ohhh we found that one very easily...... Not. We climbed all over that structure, paddled around for hours...

We never let it beat us though, got there in the end, after quite a few trips out there.

Pengy

Ah hello P&T! Sorry to use this thread to try and get a hold of you but I don't seem to be able to PM you and I've had no replies from the contact form on the main geocaching webpage :laughing: I wanted to ask you about your pokerchip competition. Can you PM me if you see this?

Thanks in advance!