Archived caches with travel bugs & geocoins inside?

duhkey

If the archived cache page still shows that TBs are in the cache, but they actually turn up somewhere else, when whoever finds them logs them, they will be removed from the archived cache. They won't be "stuck" there forever.

If the bugs really are missing, either the cache owner or the bug owner can go to the TB page and choose the option to mark the bugs as "missing". Then they won't show up on any cache page unless they are found again.

If the cache is being archived because it was muggled, well, that's a different story...

And the other option is that the cache was archived, but the container is still sitting there in the woods, months or years later, with the travel bug inside. Common examples include vacation caches that never got listed, and caches archived by the owner in a messy geocide.

Sometimes good samaritans will go on travel bug rescue missions and retrieve these stranded travelers.

Yes. I know of two archived multi caches that seem still to have TBs in them. The first stages disappeared. The owners disabled them, temporarily (for six months or more). The reviewer archived them. No mention was made of removing the container, nor of rescuing the bugs. The question is: with the first stage missing, how good is my memory of where the final stage is hidden??? I do not have the final coordinates stored anywhere. Someday, when my circular tuit arrives, I shall set out on my good Samaritan trips. Someday.

Some bug owners, when they own a lot of bugs, 'store' them in an archived cache or, in this case, event. They are not actually in that cache or event. One reason is that, when they actually do drop a bug into a cache, they don't have to scroll through ninety-four travel bugs to find the one that they have dropped into a cache. I've considered doing this myself, and I only have twelve geocoins.

Here's a round tuit for you! It's smiling. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Sioneva,

First Travel Bug Rescue Mission was a success. The cache owner has not been active in two years. When the first stage disappeared, he disabled it. A few months later, the reviewer archived it. Today was sort of ugly, and I wasn't feeling great, so we did two fairly easy caches, and headed out for the Travel Bug Rescue. The final stage was a few hundred feet from parking, and the paved trail was level. And, remarkably, I remembered where the cache was hidden. Since the cache was archived, I removed it, and logged the Travel Bug. (Oddly, the owner had marked it missing very recently.) Another Travel Bug rescued from being geotrash.

Yes. I know of two archived multi caches that seem still to have TBs in them. The first stages disappeared. The owners disabled them, temporarily (for six months or more). The reviewer archived them. No mention was made of removing the container, nor of rescuing the bugs. The question is: with the first stage missing, how good is my memory of where the final stage is hidden??? I do not have the final coordinates stored anywhere. Someday, when my circular tuit arrives, I shall set out on my good Samaritan trips. Someday.

Thanks to the new "waypoint" feature, cache owners can add hidden waypoints to their cache pages to keep track of all their stages. No more worrying about losing the little slip of paper that you scribbled them down on. :rolleyes: