Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
SteelHead[BC]

Geocaching Ham Radio Net

well, i Finally remembered to drop in and no one else did. lol

Sorry, I had like 10 geocoin trades to get in the mail, so decided not to procrastinate any longer. It's been way too long since I've checked in to the Geocaching Talk Net...

--Marky

ok well to be fair. there were like 2 others there as well. so i shouldn't say no one else.

' date='Nov 16 2006, 06:19 PM' post='2570997']

Yup we need all the cachers we can get to get into checking in

I tried, but our local IRLP node is down this evening, and I wasn't at home to use Echolink. Better luck next week...

Dang, I haven't checked in in ages. Then again, I haven't been caching all that much either...

I would like it if the net was started up again. I am always up for a chat with a fellow cacher!!! Anybody is more than welcome to look me up on echolink, node# 303467.

KE5EHZ

Edited by TacRat

you can revive the net but you need a net controle and you guys can yous my system to run it

let me know im willing to help

VE7WCC

SteelHead[bC]

Node 1507 .....Echolink 243326

How about just setting up a Geocaching Conference on Echolink. Seems like there is one for every other subject. Everyone could just drop by and chat at will. Just a thought.

73's

Jeff, KA1DBE/4

How about just setting up a Geocaching Conference on Echolink. Seems like there is one for every other subject. Everyone could just drop by and chat at will. Just a thought.

73's

Jeff, KA1DBE/4

How do you set up a conference on Echolink??

I emailed Echolink support on directions to start a conference. You will need a separate computer to run. Here is the webpage if anybody is interested in starting it up. I would, however, I only have one computer.

http://www.echolink.org/conf.htm

If anybody sets up the conference, please inform us so we can all jump in.

KE5EHZ

I have a spare computer but not enough bandwidth to carry on a sizeable conference. However, if you see me on Echolink node# 323341 feel free to give me a shout.

73 and happy caching,

K5KCK

After reading through the info on the link, it looks like echolink will support a conference with up to 99 connections. I am sure that a computer on cable or DSL could probably support this. I think having a dedicated conference utilizing the bridge software would probably be something to shoot for in the future if there was enough interest. Did the net ever have more than 99 connections? I am in the process of moving the shack from one side of the house to the other but after I get everything moved, I do have a couple Pentium IIs that I might be able to press into service. I will have to see if SvxLink supports conferences because I have no computers that run windoze. Good discussion here though.

73's

Jeff, KA1DBE/4

aka Nauticalwheeler

OK...guess I should have read a little more before posting. Assuming 128 kps upstream for DSL, this would only support 5-7 connections at 17 kps each. I am wondering if FOIS would be any different. I guess to set up the conference it would require access to very high bandwidth. If the discussion stays active, maybe a ham out there with their own server might be able to provide a little space. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Thanks for the echolink education

73's

Jeff, KA1DBE/4

aka Nauticalwheeler

HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN HARASSED BY THE VOLUNTEERS AFTER PLACING A CACHE? sorry about the caps,

i have placed 4 caches and have had nothing but problems.. I thought this was supposed to be fun?

HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN HARASSED BY THE VOLUNTEERS AFTER PLACING A CACHE? sorry about the caps,

i have placed 4 caches and have had nothing but problems.. I thought this was supposed to be fun?

Just curious, but what does this have to do with the Echolink net???

thought that this was for all hams it says ham radio net. was i wrong?

You're in the right section. This particular thread however is for a geocaching net on Echolink. You are more then welcome to start a new thread in the GPS and Ham Radio section.

KE5EHZ

TacRat

I would guess that this belongs in the "Getting Started" or "Geocaching Topics" section.

Any HF Nets during summertime related to GC? Don't always have internet when in the woods'

but always have 2m, 440, & HF. I will try echolink again. Only talked to folks in England before.

Randy N7GFK

Cool but what time zone and is this AM or PM?

' date='Nov 2 2006, 07:38 PM' post='2551460']

Guys there is a coool net every thursday at 6:30 come say hello

Its on IRLP node 9000

And echoLink 243326

SteelHead[bC]