60CSx miniSD capacity Limit?

stingray67

i just got my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx and a 1gb card. i noticed there is a 2gb card, which could hold the entire GB Topo map. BUT.. is there a limit on what sized cards the 60CSx can use?

thanks in advance.

I'm fairly sure the 60CSx can handle the 2GB cards, though I haven't tried it myself (I have a 1GB card).

Also, please be aware that these units use microSD or TransFlash cards, and not miniSD cards. The larger miniSD cards won't fit in that teensy space in the unit.

--Larry

You are all wrong !!!!!!

Since the question are "60CSx miniSD capacity Limit?"

miniSD do not work at all on the 60CSx, but microSD do.

And yes 2GB microSD work with 60CSx

PS fw 2.5 just released for Nüvi 660, added support for 4GB SD memory card.

You are all wrong !!!!!!

Given that Larry had already pointed out that the proper format is MicroSD, I felt no need to further beat that dead horse. :laughing:

I am not using a 2 gig card, in fact only the 512 meg card so can't answer from personnal experience, but believe that on several other threads there were users who said that it did not slow the GPS down to any noticable extent. The bigger issue is the map segment limit. From reading other posts it would seem that the current limit will mean that you will not be able to come close to filling the newer 2 gig card. That if you try and install the entire country you will be exceeding that limit at 1 gig, especially if you add some topo maps in there.

You are all wrong !!!!!!

sorry, i had made an eror there, i did in fact mean the microSD. I am fully aware of the difference. Also to add.. i went and purchased a 1Gb before i posted the original message DUH! as i ordered it with my unit. I loaded 950.4Mb on my card and my unit is fine and doesnt appear to be slow compared with other units i have used or indeed the 64Mb that came with it. Wish I'd gone for the 2Gb but it is 3 times the price and I probably wont need it just yet. Bigger just seems always better with me! but then again I'm a guy!!! :laughing: LOL

thanks for your responses, these forums really help.

to digress for a moment: Some have mentioned in this thread about the 2000 map segment limit.. well Im from the UK as stated in my profile, I'm not sure where everyone else is from as not everyone fills in their profile location! I would have thought this quite important! I use Topo UK maps and would think there is plenty of room on a 2GB MicroSD for the entire country even with this imposed map segment limit. As for the US.. well i guess your going to have to wait for 4 or 8Gb mSD which im sure wont be long.

Now, this begs another question.. as a digital photographer I always opt for the 133x (20mb r/w) cards as this is quite important when shooting sports pictures. Has any body noticed an improvement with using faster cards on the 60CSx or any other (handheld not PDA) GPS device?

Edited by stingray67

Now, this begs another question.. as a digital photographer I always opt for the 133x (20mb r/w) cards as this is quite important when shooting sports pictures. Has any body noticed an improvement with using faster cards on the 60CSx or any other (handheld not PDA) GPS device?

I have to plead ignorance on the card spec you mention above, but since you mention "faster cards" I'll take a shot that you are talking about the type of card that Sandisk calls Ultra II. If this is in fact true, it appears that these cards do NOT work in, at least the 60/76 series of GPSs.

Rick

I have to plead ignorance on the card spec you mention above, but since you mention "faster cards" I'll take a shot that you are talking about the type of card that Sandisk calls Ultra II. If this is in fact true, it appears that these cards do NOT work in, at least the 60/76 series of GPSs.

Rick

yes rstickle, the "x" bit after the number is a more common term used for measuring data throuput on memory cards. The "ultra I, II, III etc.." is just sandisks branding which is all show and gives the user no information on speed of the card except that III is faster than II and so on!

I used my 60CSx for the first time today (finding a cache) and the re-draw speeds and everything else are fine. I dont think Ill be wasting any money on buying a faster card. In fact, I thought this would be the case as you simply don't need fast Read/Write speed on these devices. My "standard" kingston 1Gb was fine, it has no x number on it so it's probably the slowest available as it was only £17.

Edited by stingray67

Rick

Garmin acknowledge this. Here is what they say:

"Ultra II microSD cards will not work due to the high-speed protocol, these cards have very steep signal rise curves, and thus are causing the I/O drivers of the 60CSx to fail and somehow send out of control signals or spikes to the card which itself is not able to handle the load."

Do not try to use Ultra II cards as they will fry and cannot be used or even reformatted by a computer after being used in a Garmin. An expensive mistake. However, the standard cards have not had any speed problems, even with large cards almost at full capacity that I am aware of, and they are much cheaper.