OK, I give up... it's nucular

sTeamTraen

By the way, the Groundspeak guy doesn't wear a dress.

Too late in the evening for me, I'm afraid.

But it would be great if this could be fixed. It must be the #1 spelling error on the Internet. Apart, perhaps, from "chaise longue", where the number of hits for the wrong spelling beats the number for the right spelling by about 4 to 3 !

I believe that Jeremy was referring to the geocacher in the altered logo in your forum picture...he appears to be wearing a dress...and to my eye also one of those viking helmets with horns sticking out...maybe a Wagnerian opera singing "fat lady"...but I'm sorta punchy after a stunningly bizarre week...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

I believe that Jeremy was referring to the geocacher in the altered logo in your forum picture...he appears to be wearing a dress...and to my eye also one of those viking helmets with horns sticking out...maybe a Wagnerian opera singing "fat lady"...but I'm sorta punchy after a stunningly bizarre week...

Jamie - NFA

Yeah, and that whole part about...

Any reprinting, sublicensing, copying, modifying, publishing, assignment, transfer, sales, or other distribution of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos contained within this website or any other website is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of Groundspeak. The user shall not copy, reverse engineer, translate, port, modify or make derivative works of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without express written permission from Groundspeak.

At least Jeremy gave you the :) emoticon. It could have been worse. :blink::tired:

Edited by mtn-man

Yes I was commenting on the avatar image. I may be butchering the English language but you are butchering the Geocaching logo.

I did go through the site and fix the spelling error in our development environment. Once I change my text on geocaching.com could you change your logo? Thanks.

Yes I was commenting on the avatar image. I may be butchering the English language but you are butchering the Geocaching logo.

I did go through the site and fix the spelling error in our development environment. Once I change my text on geocaching.com could you change your logo? Thanks.

So why didn't you comment that the flag in the Geocaching logo doesn't look like a stork? How much does he have to change the logo before it becomes the sTeamTraen logo and not a ripoff of the Geocaching logo?

Edited by tozainamboku

OK, I see now.

I made the logo about 18 months ago for an event and it's been my avatar here ever since. In fact Jeremy has intervened on other posts of mine since then without mentioning it. The stork is the emblematic bird of the Alsace region of France and the costume (big skirt, big hat that looks like sticking-out ears from a distance) is the traditional regional dress.

At the time I think I asked here if I needed any sort of official approval for it, and I think I was told - but quite possibly not by anyone from Groundspeak. I thought it was a cute way to represent Alsace and caching at the same time.

However, I'm happy to change it, not least because the event was some time ago. I hope this post will appear with the new one.

How much does he have to change the logo before it becomes the sTeamTraen logo and not a ripoff of the Geocaching logo?

It's a moot point now, but I think the Logo Usage Guidelines answer that question pretty clearly :tired:

... Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. ...

... No web development, web design, web graphic designer or web hosting firm can use the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without paying a developer's license fee if they plan on altering the logos for their client(s). ...

... Any reprinting, sublicensing, copying, modifying, publishing, assignment, transfer, sales, or other distribution of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos contained within this website or any other website is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of Groundspeak. ...

... The user shall not copy, reverse engineer, translate, port, modify or make derivative works of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without express written permission from Groundspeak. ...

... All Groundspeak Geocaching logos are to be used "as they appear" and are not to be cut up or resized or altered without express written permission of Groundspeak. ...

... All Groundspeak Geocaching Logos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, even if modified or merged with other graphics. ...

Hmmm. Well, my profile says I have a new avatar, but I can't see it yet. Maybe it needs time to settle down.

Make sure you click the "forums" link on the main website to transfer your new info to the forums server.

Done, thanks. It's a long time since I last updated anything in the forums.

Just so it's clear, my usage of the logo was 100% non-commercial, although I passed a hat round at the end of the event and covered about 90% of my expenses :tired:

So why didn't you comment that the flag in the Geocaching logo doesn't look like a stork?

Because I'm not anal retentive.

How much does he have to change the logo before it becomes the sTeamTraen logo and not a ripoff of the Geocaching logo?

Generally since you can't make derivatives you can't change the logo at all. So there is no such thing as "enough."

Thanks for making the change. If I had it my way I'd be happy to allow these kind of derivatives but Trademark law requires that we enforce trademarks or we lose them.

Can you have an "official" and "unofficial" logo, like Debian? The unofficial one could be modified, but the original kept unchanged for legal purposes.

There is a public domain geocaching logo project out there, but I forget the addy. Google could pull it. Anyway, those are pretty common, and independent of trademark concerns. The 'Gx' logo is fairly commonly used. I like the Geocaching.com logo better, but as TPTB said, they have to protect their trademark.

Thanks for making the change. If I had it my way I'd be happy to allow these kind of derivatives but Trademark law requires that we enforce trademarks or we lose them.

Jeremy, I understand perfectly (darn, we were told on the course not to say that, "how do you know you understand perfectly?").

I work in an organisation with about 400 (international) lawyers. As one software person to another, let me assure you, if anyone ever makes jokes about software people being nerds and lacking social skills, pragmatism, or a sense of humour, they don't know enough international lawyers. (He said, hoping the software people outnumber the international lawyers in here...) :laughing:

I think the idea of a public-domain logo is a good one. The slightly bumpy upper-caseG with a cross at the end seems popular. But the Groundspeak one is so visually hard-hitting and easy to change...

The European flag is an interesting case (oh no, back to the international lawyers). It's in the public domain and are not discouraged from making derivative versions of it. We Euro-types cringe a bit when people add stars (it's 12 for a reason, although that's a story in itself), but generally speaking it's available to illustrate the idea of Europe for whatever you like. I saw a version with swastikas in place of the stars the other day, from someone who didn't like this or that EU decision. :blink:

PS: Are you 100.00% sure that there was no subliminal influence on the design of the Groundspeak logo, from the flagship product of one of your software suppliers? :unsure:

It's a moot point now, but I think the Logo Usage Guidelines answer that question pretty clearly :laughing:

... Additionally, the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way. ...

... No web development, web design, web graphic designer or web hosting firm can use the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without paying a developer's license fee if they plan on altering the logos for their client(s). ...

... Any reprinting, sublicensing, copying, modifying, publishing, assignment, transfer, sales, or other distribution of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos contained within this website or any other website is strictly prohibited without the prior written consent of Groundspeak. ...

... The user shall not copy, reverse engineer, translate, port, modify or make derivative works of the Groundspeak Geocaching logos without express written permission from Groundspeak. ...

... All Groundspeak Geocaching logos are to be used "as they appear" and are not to be cut up or resized or altered without express written permission of Groundspeak. ...

... All Groundspeak Geocaching Logos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced, even if modified or merged with other graphics. ...

:unsure:

All that from someone with a spun version of the Geocaching logo! Permission is a good thing!

logo_sub.gif8b1863ba-d484-4990-809b-28cbbade5d43.jpg

:blink:

P.S. I'm not a logo lawyer, but this is an interesting read!

Edited by robert

It's a moot point now, but I think the Logo Usage Guidelines answer that question pretty clearly :laughing:

:unsure:

All that from someone with a spun version of the Geocaching logo! Permission is a good thing!

:blink:

P.S. I'm not a logo lawyer, but this is an interesting read!

The GPXSpinner logo is a stylized pinwheel. When I was a kid we called them spinners. When I created the logo I didn't even start with the Geocaching logo. I did use the colors because GPXSpinner is primarily designed to "spin" Groundspeak GPX files. If you tried to distort the Geocaching logo you can not make it look like the GPXSpinner logo.

I said I wasn't a lawyer, was just noting how people could be confused with what Lil Devil posted (and bolded)

"modify or make derivative works"

"are not to be cut up or resized or altered"

I realize it's a different logo, and the difference between the modifications made to his and sTeamTraen's is great, but still could be confusing to people wanting to know what they can and can't do with the logo. That's the point I was trying to make.

:laughing:

edit: now I realize it's off-topic, so forget I said anything. :unsure: I'm going back to the Waymarking forums. :blink:

Edited by robert

You know, I never even considered a possible conflict because they are so different in my eyes. Only the colors are the same, no boxes, no stick figure or flag. But since you brought it up, I have emailed Groundspeak for "permission" just to be safe :mad:

Oh, and thanks webscouter for coming up with that logo! I absolutely love it! :)

You know, I never even considered a possible conflict because they are so different in my eyes. Only the colors are the same, no boxes, no stick figure or flag. But since you brought it up, I have emailed Groundspeak for "permission" just to be safe :mad:

Groundspeak doesn't consider the spinner logo to be a derivative or any other form of infringement of the geocaching.com trademark logo.

You know, I never even considered a possible conflict because they are so different in my eyes. Only the colors are the same, no boxes, no stick figure or flag. But since you brought it up, I have emailed Groundspeak for "permission" just to be safe :)

Understood. :(

At a quick glance, it's like the 4 color boxes geocaching logo... putting a pin in the center and "spinning" it (no pun intended... well maybe a little!) to distort it. Had it been different colors, representing a regular pinwheel as webscouter. suggested, it'd be easier to see the difference but the fact that the colors are the same, and in the same place as the geocaching logo, it's possible to see where it could be viewed as a distorted logo. Are those 4 colors more indicative of "GPX" or "geocaching"? If you were to see those 4 colors, do you first thing "oh that's the 4 colors for GPX" or "oh that's the 4 colors of geocaching?" So that's where the discussion comes from on my part... maybe just the 4 colors don't make up the geocaching logo--the rest of the components (the man, the flag, etc) are important as well.

Either way it's moot since Brian chimed in. :mad:

(I promise I wasn't stirring the pot! Just an observation from a casual reader of this thread.)

putting a pin in the center and "spinning" it ... but the fact that the colors are the same, and in the same place as the geocaching logo, it's possible to see where it could be viewed as a distorted logo.

I was already thinking along those lines. If Groundspeak did see a problem with it, I would have tried rotating it 90 or 180 degrees to make it that much more different. Heck, I may still play around with that idea to see how it looks.

Are those 4 colors more indicative of "GPX" or "geocaching"? If you were to see those 4 colors, do you first thing "oh that's the 4 colors for GPX" or "oh that's the 4 colors of geocaching?"

Good point. I'm sure it's more indicative of geocaching, but since it does spin GPX files from geocaching.com, I think that's appropriate.

(I promise I wasn't stirring the pot! Just an observation from a casual reader of this thread.)

No problem. I saw it as a fair question that I probably should have asked much sooner.

Thanks for the official word, Bryan!

Boy this thread was sure taken off-topic just a bit! :laughing:

He said, hoping the software people outnumber the international lawyers in here...

You might outnumber us, but we're still the ones with the licence to sue. :laughing:

On topic: this thread has turned out to become very interestuing. The "spinner" and MS logos could (theoretically) develop to VERY interesting (but different) "cases".

If everyone spells it the wrong way, why is'nt that way right?

quick one back on the original topic.

One of the other boards I am on had "definitely" mispelled as "definatly" that you cannt search for the term "definatly" because it is too common.

Edited by sevnsola