Vista Cx Routing vs Vista C

Robanzac

I have owned a Vista C for 2 years and have recently bought a Cx.

The problem is that I can't get the Cx to behave in the same way as the C when approaching a waypoint along an active route (this is in “off road” mode). As the old C nears a waypoint it automatically switches from the map page to what I would describe as a “turn preview” page and starts counting down in distance and time (highlighted in red) until the waypoint is reached and then once the waypoint is reached it returns to the map page.

I can’t get my Cx to do this. All it does is remain on the map page and briefly displays “approaching waypoint” along the bottom of the screen for a short while.

I have gone through all the settings on the Cx many times to check that it is the same as the C but with no success.

Can anybody help? I sort of thought a C and Cx were pretty much the same bar the memory capacity.

My C has version 2.1 on it and my Cx 2.6

In the photo below both units are following the same route. You can see the C going about it's countdown business while the Cx is doing essentially nothing. (the Cx had flashed up "approaching waypoint PNT003" for a few seconds but I was unable to catch it for the photo)

etrex005ame4.th.jpg

Thanks for these replies.

What you have both mentioned I have already tried.

I have also checked that "Next Turn Pop Up" has been turned on in the Route settings.

As it approaches a waypoint along a route I can manually page flip to the "turn preview" page on the Cx (see photo) but I cannot get the Cx to automatically change to this page as it approaches like the C does. (and the C page, in this mode does the countdown in red as you can see)

I do believe I have been through every setup setting to make the Cx the same as my C. And the thing is that the old C did this from day one out of the box without me having to specifically change any settings

Any ideas?

Is it possible that an operating system update has somehow lost this ability (The Cx has 2.6 the C 2.1)

What I would like to see is an actually screen shot from someone showing a Cx doing what my C does so as to be convinced it can do it? (remember this is in "off road" routing mode)

It is all quite frustrating as the automatic change to the turn preview page counting down in red is the feature that I most use and what I have bought it to do.

Thanks so far

Cheers

Rob

Sorry about the inconsistency below, the Cx is on the left for the first 2 photos and on the right for the last.

The Cx has been manually changed to the "turn preview" page for this shot - the C has done it automatically.

turnprevieweo3.th.jpg

Even with the "turn preview" deleted from the page sequence the C still does what you see in the photo above.

pagesequencebe3.th.jpg

routingsetuped0.th.jpg

I am routing "Off Roads"

In the photo below both these units are routing "off roads" and along the exact same route.

My older C is on the left and the new Cx on the right

etrex005ame4.th.jpg

You can see that the older C has changed automatically to the turn preview page and is counting down to the waypoint in red.

Both these units have the "next turn popup" set to "on"

Incidentally if I turn this setting to "off" on the older C then the turn preview page does not appear - as you would expect, so the "next turn popup" setting is the one that definitely governs this behavior

With the newer Cx it's behavior doesn't change one bit regardless of whether the "next turn popup" setting is "off" or "on"

It makes me wonder whether the newer Cx has for some reason lost this ability in "off roads" mode that the older C had. Strange that that would be the case though.

I would be most grateful if anyone can confirm or even better show me a picture of their Cx routing in "off roads" mode automatically bringing up the "turn preview" screen as it approaches a waypoint?

All that has to be done to do this little test is drive along a road, mark a few waypoints with the toggle button along the way, form them into a route, start routing in "off road" mode then drive back

Actually I am starting to wonder if it is a software problem.

I wouldn't mind at least trying out earlier versions of the unit software on it. (currently the Cx has V2.6 which is the latest, my older C has V2.1 on it and is several versions out of date)

Does anyone know where (or if) earlier versions of operating software are available?

Obviously the latest is available from here at the Garmin site, but not the earlier versions.

Have you tried contacting Garmin tech support to see what they have to say?

-ArtMan-

Yes I have - about a week and a half back.

They did get back to me a couple of days ago but only to say that I should have "next turn popup" set to "on", which wasn't much use to me as I have always had that on anyway.

I have replied to the Garmin bloke in much the same vain as my posts here but have yet to hear back.

I tried out a Vista C and Vista Cx, both with software version 2.6 and sure enough, the new Cx lacks the red band counting down the distance as the next point in the route is neared. This happens regardless of Follow Road or Off Road selection.

Also very noticeable was the tendency for the Vista C to "hang on" to the waypoint even when well past it - on a bicycle I was maybe 50m past before it changed over to indicating the next waypoint. In contrast, the Vista Cx was very quick to indicate the next point.

I tried the same experiment with a 76CS and 76CSx (both with latest software) and found exactly the same thing. Next job is to drop a line to Garmin asking why the red band countdown has gone with these latest models.

Thanks for that kiwitonita.

I see a theme developing as I have just noticed another new topic here complianing about the same thing with a 60CSx.

Also for anyone interested I tried the Cx with the earliest version firmware available for it (2.3) , but that didn't make any difference.

And I have yet to get a reply from Garmin that is any use.

If anyone else is annoyed at losing this feature with the "x" upgrade, maybe you could bring it to the attention of Garmin. If enough complain they might fix it.