Geocaching for Scouts

careygang

A question for all Geocaching Scouters out there...

Should the Scout Association have a Factsheet for how Scouts should Geocache, or should they just have an entry in the on-line A-Z of Activities, which would just give a short intro and them give web links?

Basically, there are two options:

A full Factsheet would give an introduction to Geocaching and then give specific guidance for Scouts and Adult Leaders on how to both introduce Geocaching as pasrt of the programme and how to conduct themselves, how to fit it into various Scout Association rules for Safety etc.

The Second option is simply to provide a basic listing on Scoutbase.org.uk, with links to all the various websites. leaving Leaders to work it out for themselves.

Interested in peoples views...

In my opinion you need to follow the same rules and regulations as you do for normal activities there should be no problem. Common sense prevails where if your doing a cache that could also be a hike, you include all the safety activities you would for a hike. Similarly with caches near water and urban caches.

If your asked to do some caching outside of the programme, for example, then you may have to open up the invite to the whole troop and also another leader or two to support. I wouldnt go alone with one or a few scouts.

I would support a page on the scoutbase website with basic information etc. Also I think its a little bit easier with Explorer scouts rather than younger scouts.

Edited by Chaotica_UK

You may well be interested in this (para 15) article in the recent edition of the Scouting magazine.

I saw the item, which was written by a Canadian contributor, so not very specific a handle on UK Caching. There is a more subtantial article planned for early 2007, probably April/May.

My concerns are that many cachers get as far as geocaching.com and do not realise that there are UK aspects, such as Land Owner agreements with the major players, guidance on Dry Stone Walls etc. I've found several caches that have been hidden in walls.

My experience of the Scouts is completely good. They found one of my caches by accident, collected it, contacted me, presented me with the box with their toggle and log entries. I had to archive it as there was no way it could go back if it could be so easily found by mistake: I suggest giving the scouts all the advice and help they need.

I ran a GPS/Geocaching training seesion for the (Explorer) Scouts at the Northants County Camp ("Nailer") last summer (based largely on a powerpoint slideshow from this forum - thanks!). It was received very well, and is ideally suited to Scouting in my opinion. The article above can only be to the good I think. But no need to treat Scouts as any different to "normal" cachers...? (I suspect they are are a lot more "normal" than some cachers I've met!!). :tired:

Edited by milvus-milvus

I ran a GPS/Geocaching training seesion for the (Explorer) Scouts at the Northants County Camp ("Nailer") last summer (based largely on a powerpoint slideshow from this forum - thanks!). It was received very well, and is ideally suited to Scouting in my opinion. The article above can only be to the good I think. But no need to treat Scouts as any different to "normal" cachers...? (I suspect they are are a lot more "normal" than some cachers I've met!!). :tired:

Where do I find the PowerPoint Presentation?

Berni, good to hear from you again, glad you are pursuing caching for the Scouts after our conversations through GAGB.

The advantage of providing on-line information on the Scout website is that you can link through to the landowner database on GAGB, and also the current guidelines which could change in the light of everyone's experience. However, it does need a description of the context of information behind each link.

It will be difficult to ensure that a factsheet is indeed full without the support of a website although a flyer to draw attention to the website information may be useful marketing.

I ran a GPS/Geocaching training seesion for the (Explorer) Scouts at the Northants County Camp ("Nailer") last summer (based largely on a powerpoint slideshow from this forum - thanks!). It was received very well, and is ideally suited to Scouting in my opinion. The article above can only be to the good I think. But no need to treat Scouts as any different to "normal" cachers...? (I suspect they are are a lot more "normal" than some cachers I've met!!). :laughing:

Where do I find the PowerPoint Presentation?

I too would like to know where to find the poweroint presentation please :unsure:

OK, I placed the original thread here, and I admit I've just looked at the PP and found it good, but can we get back on track...

I've asked the Scout Assn to publish a factsheet on Geocaching and at the moment the view from Gilwell Park is that just a short bit in the Activity A-Z will suffice with a few live hyperlinks.

But if you look at many entries in the A-Z they have hyperlinks to factsheets. I personally think we need both, the A-Z listing that hyperlinks to a factsheet and to the various websites.

I'm basically concerned at the damage that could be done if inexperienced leaders head off caching without all the information needed. Not only could they make it a less than enjoyable experience for the Scouts, they could inadvertantly Muggle caches etc. I figure that where possible, whatever people are doing, they should be provided with all the information they need to get it right first time.

Perhaps that's just me being an engineer, where getting it right first time is all important.

I mentioned 3 days ago on another thread (Calling all scouts and guides) that I have been pestering Scout HQ at Gilwell about publishing a factsheet, but Barny in the Activities office is still not budging. :ph34r: When you consider the high standard of guidance the BSA provide to their members, I think this is misguided.

I pointed him at this thread and he still sees no need for a factsheet. Perhaps its me after all!

If anyone feels that we do need a factsheet to help Scouters (and Guiders if need be) get the most out of Geocaching, perhaps you could contact him via the Scout Information Centre at info.centre@scout.org.uk

PS sorry there's no hyperlink to the other thread, my HTML understanding is not up to it!

Edited by granthamscouts