Coming to Lexington, KY

Cav Scout

Hello,

My Iraq tour is finally coming to a end. The Army has decided to give me a break and move me from Alaska to work at the U of K in Lexington, Ky. This will be my first time in the Lexington area for geocaching.

Most of my geocaching experience has been in the western states. What can I expect in Kentucky?

cricket, cricket :blink:

Sorry, I don't frequent this board that often.

Our local club is GEOCKY - Geocachers of Kentucky at: www.geocky.org

We are having 3 events within the next 2 weeks, you are welcome to attend. We are anticipating our 4th Anniversary celebration event in mid-December.

The caches here are varied. There are many micros but a nice amount of regular sized caches as well. We have one web-cam, lots of virtuals, and lots of events.

See you when you make it to town! :laughing:

Edited by sun-moon-starz

Wish I could be there but unfortunately I will not be in Lexington until April.

Oh then, in that case invest in lots of Deep Woods OFF--the ticks are out in the spring like mad, and in the summer, too. A friend of ours got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever AND Lyme Disease from one outing in southwestern KY this past September.

There is lots of good caching in the Louisville, KY area too, which is only 76 miles north of Lexington. Everything here from wickedly clever micros to long hikes for ammo cans. A bit further north in Indiana, you can find more nice trails in state parks with good hiking, if that is to your taste.

The Indiana-Kentucky border also has a couple of good geocaching groups-- INKY and INGEO.

Hello,

My Iraq tour is finally coming to a end. The Army has decided to give me a break and move me from Alaska to work at the U of K in Lexington, Ky. This will be my first time in the Lexington area for geocaching.

Most of my geocaching experience has been in the western states. What can I expect in Kentucky?

Like you, I've got most of my early caching experience out west, living in Texas for a number of years prior to moving to Lexington. We would get a good bit more hiking and regular size caches there than we do here. There are a good number of chances to hike once you get outside of the city, pretty much in any direction. There are a LOT of micro's in town, but if you look at them as a chance to learn the city, they're a little more tolerable. There's a whole series of caches named for me, the Bud Hates Micro's series, so you might be able to guess my view on street corner micro hides.

I'm ex-Army too, and work near the UK Med Center, so we should be able to find some common ground. I'm looking forward to any active cachers that we can get in town. See you in April!