How do I make sure I'm not duplicating a waymark?

Okay, I've been at this long enough that I should know, but I'm not sure how to search a category to make sure that the waymark that I'm placing hasn't already been placed. In the new version I don't see how I'm supposed to do this. I know that if there are waymarks close the site will bring those up to make sure my waymark is not duplicating something, but that's after I put all the work into finding and typing up the info about the waymark that I want to place. I'd sure like to know if it's already a waymark before I put all the work into it.

So far it's not really an issue as I seem to be the only active waymarker in my area, but I'm sure it will be in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Hikenutty

Okay, I've been at this long enough that I should know, but I'm not sure how to search a category to make sure that the waymark that I'm placing hasn't already been placed. In the new version I don't see how I'm supposed to do this. I know that if there are waymarks close the site will bring those up to make sure my waymark is not duplicating something, but that's after I put all the work into finding and typing up the info about the waymark that I want to place. I'd sure like to know if it's already a waymark before I put all the work into it.

So far it's not really an issue as I seem to be the only active waymarker in my area, but I'm sure it will be in the future.

Thanks for any help.

Hikenutty

It's probably too much work and somebody will correct me with a much easier way. But I have been going to a cache that I know is near the waymark I have created. Then I click on nearest waymarks to see if there is one like mine. That's worked quite well, especially in spots that are not waymark rich yet. But there has to be a better way? :tired:

It's probably too much work and somebody will correct me with a much easier way. But I have been going to a cache that I know is near the waymark I have created. Then I click on nearest waymarks to see if there is one like mine. That's worked quite well, especially in spots that are not waymark rich yet. But there has to be a better way? :mad:

Hi, I detect a screen refresh as soon as I enter the country while recording a fresh waymark. (why?)

Proposal: generate a(nother) screen refresh, including nearest waymarks on top of the fresh page, as soon as both coordinates are entered. This can be the signal "something else" is near those coordinates. If the same waymark is popping up, you need not to go on recording yours.

Idea?

it would be nice if the search function was not as complicated as it is (this is a function i think regressed in the update).......searching by coords is a good way (you could navigate to a category and just search within it as well as from the root directory)........otherwise you have to look for a nearby mark from one you know....