A.P.E. caches--what is the big deal?

Being fairly new to geocaching I am woefully uneducated about the significance of the A.P.E. caches. Could someone fill me in? I was also unlucky enough to miss the Maryland one, by just one day apparently, before it was muggled. I did, however, retrieve an A.P.E. cache geocoin (or should I call it a geoticket??) that someone placed in CAM 2005 after they discovered the A.P.E. cache was no more. So my other question is how do I track this coin. I tried tracking it as a travel bug, but can't find it using the letters that are on the coin. Can anyone help me to find where this coin/ticket has been? I plan to move it up to New Hampshire this weekend.

Edited by Fuzzy Buddies

The Prject A.P.E. caches were set up for the movie, Planets of the Apes. The gold tickets were purchased by people that ahad actually found an A.P.E. cache, the silver for those of us that haven't (yet) found one.

Here's the press release about Project A.P.E.

20th Century Fox has launched a really unique promotion for its Planet of the Apes film: using global positioning satellite (GPS) technology, fans can get involved in an interactive scavenger hunt search for hidden caches of props that were used in the film. The first person to successfully find out the location of the cache and reach it will get to keep the authentic prop!

Fox is calling this contest "Project A.P.E." (www.projectape.com -- the A.P.E. standing for "Alternative Primate Evolution"), and officially launched it yesterday. Using the new online gaming technology called Geocaching, every Friday the film's Official website will supply new coordinates which can be used to determine the location of the latest hidden cache. The contest will run for 13 weeks, allowing a lucky thirteen individuals the chance to be the first to walk away with the exclusive Apes goodies. For those of you who don't have GPS system right now, every Friday the website will also give away a Garmin eTrex GPS unit to a randomly selected winner.

There's also some hidden clues embedded in the Project A.P.E. game that, we're told, are important to the film's storyline. These secrets will "unlock long-hidden secrets that could present a clue to our past - or a key to our future," said the studio.

This week's operation is called "Devil's Spoon" and is located in California at the coordinates N 37° 50.759 W 121° 56.041. You can view maps and discover clues about the location of the cache by visiting the Project A.P.E. website, as well as finding out what was in the cache when its eventually discovered. Remember, if you missed out on this week's hunt, every Friday a new location will be announced for the next three months!

Being fairly new to geocaching I am woefully uneducated about the significance of the A.P.E. caches. Could someone fill me in? I was also unlucky enough to miss the Maryland one, by just one day apparently, before it was muggled. I did, however, retrieve an A.P.E. cache geocoin (or should I call it a geoticket??) that someone placed in CAM 2005 after they discovered the A.P.E. cache was no more. So my other question is how do I track this coin. I tried tracking it as a travel bug, but can't find it using the letters that are on the coin. Those letters are -----O btw. Can anyone help me to find where this coin/ticket has been? I plan to move it up to New Hampshire this weekend.

The last digit of the coin you found is a zero not the letter O.

As Coreynjoey said you should delete the TB number from your post or that coin will be getting a lot of virtual logs.

Edited by Doughball

Being fairly new to geocaching I am woefully uneducated about the significance of the A.P.E. caches. Could someone fill me in? I was also unlucky enough to miss the Maryland one, by just one day apparently, before it was muggled. I did, however, retrieve an A.P.E. cache geocoin (or should I call it a geoticket??) that someone placed in CAM 2005 after they discovered the A.P.E. cache was no more. So my other question is how do I track this coin. I tried tracking it as a travel bug, but can't find it using the letters that are on the coin. Those letters are -----O btw. Can anyone help me to find where this coin/ticket has been? I plan to move it up to New Hampshire this weekend.

As Coreynjoey said you should delete the TB number from your post or that coin will be getting a lot of virtual logs.

Thanks to all who answered! I have deleted the TB number from my post. It's a shame that some people will log something they didn't even find. Anyway, I'll check the website and learn more about the project, and I'll try the 0 instead of the letter O. Thanks again everyone!

If you do a search of the forums for the threads involving some of the APE caches and their release, you'll find that most people were talking like crazy over the least little clue. There was one notable person that scorned them vocally, but for the most part, they were eagerly anticipated.

Thanks to all who answered! I have deleted the TB number from my post. It's a shame that some people will log something they didn't even find. Anyway, I'll check the website and learn more about the project, and I'll try the 0 instead of the letter O. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for removing the number from your post. As you probably know by now, the coin you retireved was mine...in more ways than one! :tired: Sorry I'm so late in replying - I just saw the thread. For more info on the coin, go to this website.

Thanks for removing the number from your post. As you probably know by now, the coin you retireved was mine...in more ways than one! :tired: Sorry I'm so late in replying - I just saw the thread. For more info on the coin, go to this website.

Thanks! I read on the FAQ's something about an activation code. There is not one on the plastic sleeve, as stated. I don't even know what that code was for, tho.

P.S. I won't ask what you meant by "in more ways than one!" :blink:

Thanks! I read on the FAQ's something about an activation code. There is not one on the plastic sleeve, as stated. I don't even know what that code was for, tho.

P.S. I won't ask what you meant by "in more ways than one!" :tired:

The owners of trackable items (travel bugs or geocoins - sometimes called 'travelers' or 'hitchikers') use the itmes' tracking numbers and activation codes to 'activate' the items. Activation codes are not used for normal logging of trackables and are kept by the owners.

the 'in more ways than one' is pretty simple. That coin is mine in that I activated it and sent it traveling. Also, I (with help of those listed on the coin website you visited) developed and sold the coin.

Thanks for keeping it moving!

SQ

Good old supply and demand at work here!

There were not many APE caches created, therefore making the find rare and unusual.

Relatively few, as a percentage of all cachers, found one, making the icon and gold coin rare and a mark of personal pride.

Many folks traveled a long way to find one, and many of them were among the well-known names in geocaching, making the find even more desirable.

Now they are becoming extinct, making the desire to get one while we can even stronger.

Things don't have to have intrinsic or actual value; just a short supply and large demand is all it takes to make anything 'valuable'.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

P.S. I won't ask what you meant by "in more ways than one!" :blink:

The owners of trackable items (travel bugs or geocoins - sometimes called 'travelers' or 'hitchikers') use the itmes' tracking numbers and activation codes to 'activate' the items. Activation codes are not used for normal logging of trackables and are kept by the owners.

the 'in more ways than one' is pretty simple. That coin is mine in that I activated it and sent it traveling. Also, I (with help of those listed on the coin website you visited) developed and sold the coin.

Thanks for keeping it moving!

SQ

Thanks for the explanation, SQ. I'm looking forward to placing the coin up north soon. :tired:

The Prject A.P.E. caches were set up for the movie, Planets of the Apes. The gold tickets were purchased by people that ahad actually found an A.P.E. cache, the silver for those of us that haven't (yet) found one.

Here's the press release about Project A.P.E.

20th Century Fox has launched a really unique promotion for its Planet of the Apes film: using global positioning satellite (GPS) technology, fans can get involved in an interactive scavenger hunt search for hidden caches of props that were used in the film. The first person to successfully find out the location of the cache and reach it will get to keep the authentic prop!

Fox is calling this contest "Project A.P.E." (www.projectape.com -- the A.P.E. standing for "Alternative Primate Evolution"), and officially launched it yesterday. Using the new online gaming technology called Geocaching, every Friday the film's Official website will supply new coordinates which can be used to determine the location of the latest hidden cache. The contest will run for 13 weeks, allowing a lucky thirteen individuals the chance to be the first to walk away with the exclusive Apes goodies. For those of you who don't have GPS system right now, every Friday the website will also give away a Garmin eTrex GPS unit to a randomly selected winner.

There's also some hidden clues embedded in the Project A.P.E. game that, we're told, are important to the film's storyline. These secrets will "unlock long-hidden secrets that could present a clue to our past - or a key to our future," said the studio.

This week's operation is called "Devil's Spoon" and is located in California at the coordinates N 37° 50.759 W 121° 56.041. You can view maps and discover clues about the location of the cache by visiting the Project A.P.E. website, as well as finding out what was in the cache when its eventually discovered. Remember, if you missed out on this week's hunt, every Friday a new location will be announced for the next three months!

Thanks for the infor. :laughing:

Being fairly new to geocaching I am woefully uneducated about the significance of the A.P.E. caches. Could someone fill me in? I was also unlucky enough to miss the Maryland one, by just one day apparently, before it was muggled.

What Ed said.

Plus, of course, some of us are just icon hos. :mad: I made the mistake of telling my brother that there was an A.P.E. cache not far from him in Washington. He battled pumas to get that cache and icon! (Or so he says.) So, I had to plan my week's vacation to get an A.P.E. cache icon myself. Stops in AC, Delaware, Maryland, DC, West Virginia and Pennsylvania. Got to meet an Internet friend in Maryland, whom I'd never met before. Took her on a cache hunt in her home town. Had a great vacation. And! I have a Project A.P.E. Cache icon to show for it! For an icon ho, that is part of the significance. :)

As a newbie who started Geocaching 3 years after Project APE was already history, it didn't have any meaning... until I learned that each icon represented a unique experience (Traditional/Multi/Puzzle/Yellow Jeep/Geocoin/etc). One day, I saw the Project APE icon in Moun10Bike's profile, and wondered what the heck it was.

So it IS about the icon, but you don't need to be an icon ho to appreciate it. :mad:

For the one in Washington State at least, it's quite an adventure, whether it's Project APE or not. :)