Who is the youngest Geocacher...

mgbmusic

With my son being a solid 2 weeks old yesterday, I'm justy wondering when is "too young". I'm thinking Guiness here folks!

At two weeks, he's definitely too young for Guinness.

<rimshot>

My wife is 4 months pregnant and she caches with me. Does that count? :unsure:

Jayman11

I know of a geocaching couple who stopped off to find a cache on their way home from the maternity hospital. The pictures of their daughter in a baby carrier, together with GPS and cache container, were priceless!

Now THAT is an early start on geocaching.

Holy crap....well I guess I lost THAT race...

Speaking of which for those of you with youngsters out there - what would be the best type of carrier to go along on a cache hunt - back pack, front rider, side sling? Any input?

--MGB +1

I know of a geocaching couple who stopped off to find a cache on their way home from the maternity hospital. The pictures of their daughter in a baby carrier, together with GPS and cache container, were priceless!

Me too.

Txsyank took his grandchild cachin' on the way home from the hospital with his daughter (budlovers?) who also caches. I'm pretty sure SHE stayed in the car though. :unsure:

With my son being a solid 2 weeks old yesterday, I'm justy wondering when is "too young". I'm thinking Guiness here folks!

At two weeks, he's definitely too young for Guinness.

<rimshot>

My wife is 4 months pregnant and she caches with me. Does that count? :unsure:

Jayman11

I meant the book of records, but touche,

If your wife is anything like mine - not for long...

A friend did the same thing on one of my caches ... found it while taking his 2-day old son home from the hospital. The next day they found another. Two caches found at 3-days old!

Okay, how about this... How young are your kids when they start helping you find a cache? I cache with my four and six yr olds... Sometimes me and the six year old will point the four year old in the direction of the cache and look somewhere near the area so she can "find" it. Other times, my six year old finds caches that I'm ready to give up on.

Speaking of which for those of you with youngsters out there - what would be the best type of carrier to go along on a cache hunt - back pack, front rider, side sling? Any input?

--MGB +1

I would say a front carrier, or side sling, one where you can see the baby. With going through branches and stuff, you want to make sure you can see the baby at all times so you can make sure they don't get accidentally whacked by a branch or poked or something.

We take our 7 and 9 yo all the time and they take turns reading the GPS and leading us to the cache area, once there, we all look, sometimes we find it, sometimes the kids find it. Our 7 yo just spotted one recently that a couple of veteran cachers haven't spotted. Just depends on if it is your day or not.

--MGB +1

I started geocaching when my daughter was 9 months old. I use a side sling because it is very compact when not in use and does not have any buckles or snaps to deal with. She is now 18 months old and I still carry the sling with me in the event she doesn't feel like walking anymore!