GSAK vs EasyGPS

sunkat

Well got my new GPS and while it's not christmas my family let me have it now (we're still putting a ribbon on it at christmas).....

So Now that I can download Waypoints which is the better way to go GSAK or EasyGPS pro's or con's?

Thanks In Advance

Kate

sunkat

GSAK utilizes gpsbabel to transfer and convert waypoints, so you are really comparing EasyGPS to gpsbabel.

Even then, that's not really a "versus" comparison as even those are different animals.

If you just want to transfer waypoints from your PC to your GPSr, EasyGPS is adequate for the task, and it's free. Although it costs $20 to remove the nag screen on GSAK, you can try it for free, with all the features enabled.

I have both software installed on my machine. Why not try both?

I can not really see the point of easyGPS. If you have a Garmin, you can use the free Mapsource software to do the same things.

Never tried. EasyGPS works just fine for loading waypoints into my GPS.

EasyGPS is far and away simpler than GSAK for the simple act of transferring waypoints.

GSAK does a lot more but it has a learning curve that you have to work your way through. I never have. Thus I use it for 2 simple things. The occasional Export (GPSBabel inferface) to a different data format, and to aggregate my logs in one GPX file.

I have played with both a little. Found that when I loaded waypoints with EasyGPS, it listed them by waypoint ID in my GPSr. When I transferred them over through GSAK, it listed them by name which is easier for me to keep up with when looking through the listing on my GPSr. I haven't taken the time to learn any of the features in GSAK yet other than to transfer waypoints to my GPSr and to transfer data to Cachemate on my Palm. I love that feature, everything is there in cachemate to read through in the field without printing it out. I had tried using Mobipocket on my Palm but Cachemate is way better for this. I think that if I take the time to learn GSAK, I'll like it a lot more.

This probably isn't much help but I'm still new and haven't learned the programs well yet. Just my twocents from the newbie perspective. :unsure:

Edited by jackrock