Logging Problem

Tat2dChile

This is only my second TB but the first worked like a champ. I logged my visit to a cache and selected that I was leaving the TB and submitted. The TB shows in the cache's inventory and on the TB's page it shows the correct cache for "Recently Spotted at" ...... but it didn't create a log on the TB page saying I dropped it off. Last entry shows that I picked it up. Can it take a while for that log to appear? The first one I did appeared imediatly ..... or did I do something wrong????

I have a logging problem - Today I logged my visit to a cache (a micro) at a skatepark and "dropped" a skateboarding TB, then retrieved it. So far, so good. Then I noticed a minor typo, and went to fix it, but was distracted by my granddaughter, and deleted the "retrieved" log by mistake. I figured, no problem, I can just re-log the retrieval. The problem is that even though the last log entry showing for the TB says that I dropped it in the cache, the "recently spotted" says it's in my hands, it is listed in my inventory, and in the cache's history rather than its inventory, so I cannot enter a new log to show I retrieved it. I'm not sure whether to:

1. delete the "found it" log for the cache, along with the "dropped" log for the TB (maybe that disappears automatically if I delete the "found cache" log?) - this is what the TB owner thinks would be best, but I'm concerned that that might either keep me from logging the find at all, or give me double credit for this cache - Can anyone tell me what will happen if I do this?

2. post a note for the cache to re-drop the TB and then "retrieve" it again - but then the TB will have 2 logs showing I dropped it in the same cache - If I do that, can I delete one of those "dropped" logs without creating a whole new round of problems?

Or is there something else I should do, or someone I should contact who is able to un-archive my original post?

Technically you don't need to do a thing. The bug still got credit for being at that cache and it is still in your hands so you can drop it in another cache and the bug will track it's miles correctly.

When I am really bored I will actually go delete the retrieve logs from my presonal TB leaving only the drops, so the log history is a bit cleaner. It doesn't harm a thing.

If you absolutely have to have both a drop and retrieve log. Post-date a note on the cache page and drop the bug. Retrieve the bug (post-dated) and then delete the cache note and delete one of the drop logs.

Personally I wouldn't bother, the bug is fine as it is.

Technically you don't need to do a thing. The bug still got credit for being at that cache and it is still in your hands so you can drop it in another cache and the bug will track it's miles correctly.

Thanks. There aren't really clear instructions for how various logs work & what they do, so it takes time to figure it all out - and there are some cases that you really can't just learn by studying others' logs. I didn't even pick up any bugs until I was fairly sure I had it figured out, but I assumed that if a retrieval was deleted the bug would go back to the cache's inventory. It seems like it should. Some things you just have to learn by experience, I guess!

It seems like a detailed "how-to" & "what if" section would be a good addition to the site, rather than having to search the forum listings to see if a particular question has already been addressed. There is a list of definitions of terms, but there are several terms not listed which my husband and I still haven't figured out. As a newcomer myself, I've still found myself explaining to newer - and sometimes not so new - cachers how to use the logs, yet I still had an unexpected result in this case.

I sent an email off to Groundspeak to ask them to incorporate the "How To Log a Travel Bug" (click here) Forum Thread, that's pinned at the top of this forum, with the TB page.

Blue Deuce and I had passed a few messages back and forth about rewriting the whole thing. That's about when I updated the How To thread, and Blue Deuce has been working on something too, that we can use. And I'd like to thank him for that! Geocaching is a community grown sport, don't you think?

Cachers who show other people how to cache should also try to show newbies all of the resources. If someone mis-logs a TB, we can send friendly emails, giving them the link that explains how. The TB page doesn't have all the "what ifs?" in it, and Blue Deuce has studied all the what ifs, that's for sure.

Thank you, Blue Deuce. :rolleyes: