Charging the 60csx?

The 60CSX does not have electronics needed to charge batteries internally.

There are GPSes that can recharge internal or removable LiIon batteries like the Explorist 4-600, Quest, Edge, and certain Streetpilot models, but the 60's won't do it.

(In general, anything that takes plain ole AA batteries is unlikely to let you charge them without something like custom battery packs to trigger a switch so it can be sure it's the right kind of battery - of course, then it's no longer a plain ole AA...)

I will never buy a GPS that requires me to plug it in somewhere to recharge it. I want to be able to pull out dead batteries and put in fresh ones (fine if those batts are rechargeable, but none of those proprietary Liion types that have to be ordered from the MFR). It is best when the electronics can handle multiple batt chemistry types (alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, Lithium, etc) so you can use whatever is available when you need batteries.

I realize lithiums offer more power than the others, but until there are rechargeable lithiums in a standardized size (like AA or something), I will be avoiding the proprietary rechargeable lithiums.

It does not.

Does anyone know if this is something that Garmin intends on offering in the form of an update? Is that even possible? Sure would be nice.

Let me rephrase the question...how about an update that allows the power to draw from either your USB cable or a DC cord when plugged into your GPSr, and using the battery’s power only when it’s unplugged?

Let me rephrase the question...how about an update that allows the power to draw from either your USB cable or a DC cord when plugged into your GPSr, and using the battery’s power only when it’s unplugged?

This is exactly what does happen with the current firmware.

When you plug in either the mini USB or the serial connector, power to the unit is supplied via the connection. The batteries are then not being drawn from until you disconnect the cable. You can tell when the batteries are not being used, because a plug icon appears at the top left of the screen.