APE Caches

Nerves

Now that we're losing more APE caches I'm curious if anyone plans to do the one in Brazil. Not many cachers have ventured that far to find it. I'm sort of toying with the idea of doing this maybe in 2008. Seems like a pretty exotic adventure.

BTW, who maintains the cache? Or, is it really even maintained at all?

Ok guys. Maybe we can get a contingent together and travel down there.

I'm thinking 2008 because I'm still recuperating from my broken leg so it'll probably be another year before I can hit the trail otherwise I would plan it for 2007.

I checked air fares to Sao Paulo...approx $1,000 roundtrip from the east coast.

I'm serious...

Interesting you should pick that time... There is already plans in the works for this for me and whomever wants to go. I'm planning on making the Brazil ape my 5000th cache and that is the time I estimate I would be going. I was going to post a formal invite closer to then. I want to make sure I don't over or undershoot. When I hit about 4k I'll have an idea when I'll be going!

The Mission 4: Southern Bowl by Project APE (GCC67) in Brazil has a maintenance check once a month or my checks stop going to Brazil. This was all set up before adopting the cache, oh how it was to be maintained along with other concerns from Groundspeak including a fee for it being placed with permission in the state rain forest.

Never thought there was a need to explain how this all worked out, but guess it was time

Remember this is not a cache hunt ya’ll are going on but an ADVENTURE

Have a little fun OK

Joe

The Mission 4: Southern Bowl by Project APE (GCC67) in Brazil has a maintenance check once a month or my checks stop going to Brazil. This was all set up before adopting the cache, oh how it was to be maintained along with other concerns from Groundspeak including a fee for it being placed with permission in the state rain forest.

Never thought there was a need to explain how this all worked out, but guess it was time

Have a little fun OK

Joe

ALL caching is an adventure, but he's got a point. Am I going to need shots for this? :blink:

Have a little fun OK

Joe

Thanks for the info JpGPS. Maybe you can give us a few tips on how you did the trip? Loved your logs on the cache page and have to say that they really piqued my interest in doing this cache.

It will be an adventure for sure. I hope to see other sights and caches in Brazil while there. I've always wanted to get to So. America so this is a perfect opportunity.

As time gets closer, we can do the logistics re: vaccinations, travel documents, travel arrangements etc. Those who are serious about going should get a passport months before the anticipated trip if you don't already have one.

I wanna go, too! Caching in Brazil, an international APE cache, I'm so there! Seriously, put me on the attendee list. :unsure: If you can give a general time frame during 2008, I can start some early vacation planning.

Such a great idea, thanks for publicizing it!

Edited by hydnsek

Dont forget to plan ahead for your visa...

Multiple entry visas have validity of 5 years and a duration of stay of 90 days.

Multiple entry visas are issued at the discretion of the Brazilian Consulate and can be denied without reason by the Brazilian Consulate. Consular fees are the same for a 5 year multiple entry visa or a 3 month single entry visa.

Visa

Ob

Edited by OB Jets

Just in case someone is actually making an official list, put me and my wife on it. We'll want to go too!

This sounds like it's going to be a very large group if everyone that says they want to go can actually make it. When an actual date is selected someone should contact the hotel and make sure they'll have enough rooms. :laughing:

Multiple entry visas have validity of 5 years and a duration of stay of 90 days.

Multiple entry visas are issued at the discretion of the Brazilian Consulate and can be denied without reason by the Brazilian Consulate. Consular fees are the same for a 5 year multiple entry visa or a 3 month single entry visa.

Visa

Ob

Thanks for the visa info. Looks like we'll need to get visas within 90 days of our trip.

Edited by Nerves

I'll keep a list of people who want to go. Of course, alot can change in a year so we can do more intense planning next summer.

The APE cache will be the pinnacle of the trip (for me anyway) but I'd also like to see some other sights and caches. I know there's at least one cache that hasn't been found and I believe was hidden in 2002. Might be missing but who knows? Also, MinDawg, who lives in CO, has a cache outside of Sao Paulo and that might be worth a trip if it's feasible.

If you want to add any travel info or other info about the area please feel free to add it here.

Wanted to throw out an idea for getting group rates from travel agencies. If you live anywheres near the East Coast, you will have to get a connecting flight out of Miami. one option would be for people in that region to fly to Miami and then fly out the following day to Brazil. I'm sure a simialr option couldbe figured our for folks closer to the West Coast, like flying out of LA

Visa

Ob

Thanks for the visa info. Looks like we'll need to get visas within 90 days of our trip.

It also looks like we'll have to send our passports along with the visa application, and hope it gets returned. Am I reading that right?

Visa

Ob

It also looks like we'll have to send our passports along with the visa application, and hope it gets returned. Am I reading that right?

There are several hoops that you will need to jump thru in order to get the visa, one of which is sending in your passport...

Ob

I'll keep a list of people who want to go. Of course, alot can change in a year so we can do more intense planning next summer.

The APE cache will be the pinnacle of the trip (for me anyway) but I'd also like to see some other sights and caches. I know there's at least one cache that hasn't been found and I believe was hidden in 2002. Might be missing but who knows? Also, MinDawg, who lives in CO, has a cache outside of Sao Paulo and that might be worth a trip if it's feasible.

If you want to add any travel info or other info about the area please feel free to add it here.

Hmmmmm seeing as I work for a Travel/Insurance/Automotive company, maybe I could look into gettting a special rate. At least for those of us on the West Coast. have to get on that.....

Hmmmmm seeing as I work for a Travel/Insurance/Automotive company, maybe I could look into gettting a special rate. At least for those of us on the West Coast. have to get on that.....

Does it start with three A's? :mad: I'm a member on the West Coast, count me in!

Does it start with three A's? :mad: I'm a member on the West Coast, count me in!

:)

It looks like you can only mail in your visa application if you live in one of the states listed. Am I reading that right?

Correct. Check HERE to see which Brazilian Consular Jurisdiction you fall under. The first link was for the Embassy in D.C.

Ob

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like you can only mail in your visa application if you live in one of the states listed. Am I reading that right?

Correct. Check HERE to see which Brazilian Consular Jurisdiction you fall under. The first link was for the Embassy in D.C.

Ob

Thanks for the clarification.

It's hard to find, but the Miami site you linked to covers: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands; Bahamas.

Those aren't listed on the linked page, but they're listed here.