Public (Free) Restrooms

When traveling especially in large cities i.e. Paris, France, free public restrooms are difficult to locate. Most of the time you either have to pay a few coins or purchase some food--McDonalds, for example. Places that have free public restrooms are some hotels, public libraries, parks, cemeteries, department stores, etc. I do not wish to create a category so I throw the idea out for someone else to create a category.

I'm ready, I got one today that I can make into a waymark! :o

The hard thing is that it would be nice to have pictures of the facilities inside so that you can know what you're up against, but I guess it would be frowned on because of privacy issues? I was at a park restroom today and there wasn't anyone in there, so it didn't bother me. But I know that some places like locker rooms and stuff are even saying that people cannot bring in their phones because of problems. Hm. :blink:

I'm ready, I got one today that I can make into a waymark! ;)

The hard thing is that it would be nice to have pictures of the facilities inside so that you can know what you're up against, but I guess it would be frowned on because of privacy issues? I was at a park restroom today and there wasn't anyone in there, so it didn't bother me. But I know that some places like locker rooms and stuff are even saying that people cannot bring in their phones because of problems. Hm. :unsure:

One of my favorite places to take people on my tours is the restrooms at the Convention Center in Portland, OR -- both the womens and the mens. I have the women visit the womens restrooms and the men visit the mens restrooms and then switch off. The artwork is fantastic! One of the womens restrooms has large, realistic, black spiders drawn in the white toilet stall tiles. My daughter was not amused! As for cell phones, I see people all the time in restrooms with cell phones. Of course they are not using them for nefarious reasons.

I think just to have a restroom with a toilet, any kind, is great. The "restroom" in a Paris cemetery was just a hole in the floor. I regretfully did not use it. It made for a long afternoon wait. My favorite restrooms are located in upscale hotels. Its a challenge to locate the ones that are open to the public--usually in out of the way places. Photos of some of those restrooms would be great!

That reminds me of the restrooms in the Crystal Cathedral, I took lots of pictures inside, cause everyone said I had to go in and look at it. The same as one of the performing halls in Branson, I can't remember which, but it is famed for its bathroom as well. Pictures inside of these (or any other) when appropriate would be great.

Edited by Ambrosia

That reminds me of the restrooms in the Crystal Cathedral, I took lots of pictures inside, cause everyone said I had to go in and look at it. The same as one of the performing halls in Branson, I can't remember which, but it is famed for its bathroom as well. Pictures inside of these (or any other) when appropriate would be great.

Well, we just need someone to develop the Category.

I think that this category is a good one. I would be willing to be an officer, if that would help it to get going.

Should we start a new thread in the new forums about this? Thanks.

I would be willing to be an officer also. So now we just need a leader. If you wish, you can start a new thread in the new forums about this. Hopefully someone will be interested. I think that it is a great idea in anyplace in the world.

Several FREE large restrooms, a dozen I believe, were set up in Times Square in time for Holiday Shopping. The newsperson commented that the restrooms were larger than some New York apartments. Slight exaggeration but the one that was shown on television was quite impressive. Now if we just had a Free Restrooms Category!