My Garmin

VoltageHz

Every time I open Mapsource it puts a folder in My Documents called My Garmin. The only thing in this folder is custom waypoint icons, I delete it every time since I like My Documents to be neat and organized.

Is there any way to stop this My Garmin folder from appearing, or at least make it appear somewhere else (such as the Garmin folder).

Thanks!

Every time I open Mapsource it puts a folder in My Documents called My Garmin. The only thing in this folder is custom waypoint icons, I delete it every time since I like My Documents to be neat and organized.

Is there any way to stop this My Garmin folder from appearing, or at least make it appear somewhere else (such as the Garmin folder).

Thanks!

Nope. Just let is slide man. It will be ok.

it's there because it's a logical place to be. think about it from a system backup perspective - everything you need all in one location - pop in your dvd, hit record, and presto all your unique information is copied to dvd - simply and easily.

putting it into the garmin folder isn't a bad idea but consider that if all programs did that - created their own folders and put stuff in a variety of locations on your system - it would be easy to forget an important directory. you might realize too late that you had forgotten to backup a certain folder and the important files within as you set out to reload your system after a drive crash (or virus, or...)...

putting it into the garmin folder isn't a bad idea but consider that if all programs did that -

All programs (at least every program I've ever used) already do exactly that, they put all of their folders under the program folder. I've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory, NEVER. There is no reason for Garmin to do it this way, none whatsoever.

If anyone knows of a work around, please let me know.

How about if you leave the "My Garmin" folder there, but make it Hidden? That way at least you won't have to see it, and your "My Documents" folder will have the appearance of being neat and organized (if not the reality).

I'LL still know it's there, whether I could see it or not, it's still there. I've never seen a program that puts a directory (a lame one at that) into the My Documents directory. All programs either let you choose or put it into their own program directory.

If anyone who is more familiar with Mapsource knows a work around, please let me know. Otherwise I'll just have to keep deleting it every time I use Mapsource.

You could switch to a Megallan product. Magellan does the same thing, but their software keeps the "My Magellan" folder in the trash folder. . .

Sorry, just being silly. . . . I love you poor Magellan users. . .

But seriously, this might be solved with some registry editing, but I am not the registry wizard to tell you how or if this is possible.

Edited by YuccaPatrol

putting it into the garmin folder isn't a bad idea but consider that if all programs did that -

All programs (at least every program I've ever used) already do exactly that, they put all of their folders under the program folder. I've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory, NEVER. There is no reason for Garmin to do it this way, none whatsoever.

Yes, most programs do create subfolders within the main program folder. However, most programs still use the My Documents folder. Even biggies like Microsoft Office. If you create a file in Microsoft Word, and save it. Where does it go? If you haven't changed the default file location, it will be stored in the My Documents folder. Save a picture? It will default to the My Pictures folder, which is a subfolder of My Documents. As Vlad said, it's a logical place to put it. And that's what your Garmin folder is for. Your data files, not the program files.

Yes, most programs do create subfolders within the main program folder. However, most programs still use the My Documents folder. Even biggies like Microsoft Office. If you create a file in Microsoft Word, and save it. Where does it go? If you haven't changed the default file location, it will be stored in the My Documents folder. Save a picture? It will default to the My Pictures folder, which is a subfolder of My Documents. As Vlad said, it's a logical place to put it. And that's what your Garmin folder is for. Your data files, not the program files.

I'm not necessarily in favor of the practice of Windows programs creating subdirectories for storing documents in the My Documents directory, but it certainly isn't uncommon. Looking at the My Documents directory on this PC, I have the following subdirectories which were created by various programs:

• AdobeStockPhotos, created by Adobe Photoshop
  • My Albums, created by Windows
  • My eBooks, created by some eBook reader or another
  • My Garmin, created by you-know-who
  • My Music, created by Windows
  • My Videos, created by Windows
  • Retrospect Catalog Files, created by Dantz Retrospect (backup software)
  • TurboTax, created by TurboTax
  • Updater, created by Adobe Photoshop

I'm not real crazy about the clutter in that directory, either, but it's a fairly standard place for programs to store their documents.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

It only defaults there once, then it goes wherever you saved the last one. None of them lock into the My Documents directory, NONE. That goes for larryc43230 as well, none of those lock into the My Documents folder. Out of your list, any of the programs I use never put a file or folder into the My Documents directory. Windows is the operating system, it created My Documents and the directories inside of it, so using Windows in the way that you did is a misnomer, and it only did it once anyway.

Why do some of you like to argue so much? Why do you have to troll threads? I don't care what you think is logical or not, I don't care what reasons you have for anything. This topic is clearly about the My Garmin folder and changing it's location, it's not about your personal opinion on the location or whether it's logical or not. You are free to make your own thread discussing that issue, why must you troll and hijack mine? Thanks for telling me what I should and should not like, BTW.

Edited by VoltageHz

You could create another user, lets call him Adrian Monk. Log on as Monk when you use Mapsource and it will mess up his MyGarmin. :blink:

I have bmps in MyGarmin that look like the blue dots on mt GPS where there are POIs. Are you using the POI loader, like I am? I admit putting a directory on your computer without telling you or allowing a location option is bad. The weird thing is I assume they made it "easy" for the user to change the icons on the GPS, but nowhere do they tell you how to do it. I have given up on organizing my files along time ago,

VoltageHz,

You were the one who stated that:

"All programs (at least every program I've ever used) already do exactly that, they put all of their folders under the program folder. I've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory, NEVER. There is no reason for Garmin to do it this way, none whatsoever." (emphasis added)

My response was to this erroneous statement. Yes, indeed, you can change the directory that documents are stored in. However, many applications create these subdirectories in the My Documents directory. Whether you use them or not is your choice, but your statement that you've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory struck me as rather unlikely.

One last minor quibble, you accused me of misusing the term Windows (you called it a "misnomer"). Windows didn't create the AdobeStockPhotos, My eBooks, My Garmin, Retrospect Catalog Files, TurboTax or Updater subdirectories in my My Documents directory, their respective applications created them (via Windows, the OS, of course).

I don't care one whit about this issue, either, but as a former network administrator I couldn't let this incorrect statement go unanswered.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

It only defaults there once, then it goes wherever you saved the last one. None of them lock into the My Documents directory, NONE. That goes for larryc43230 as well, none of those lock into the My Documents folder. Out of your list, any of the programs I use never put a file or folder into the My Documents directory. Windows is the operating system, it created My Documents and the directories inside of it, so using Windows in the way that you did is a misnomer, and it only did it once anyway.

Why do some of you like to argue so much? Why do you have to troll threads? I don't care what you think is logical or not, I don't care what reasons you have for anything. This topic is clearly about the My Garmin folder and changing it's location, it's not about your personal opinion on the location or whether it's logical or not. You are free to make your own thread discussing that issue, why must you troll and hijack mine? Thanks for telling me what I should and should not like, BTW.

The answers were DIRECTLY related to your post. Also, you are incorrect in stating that it only defaults there once. That is the case for some programs, and not all, as you state. If you start Microsoft Word with it's default settings, and save a file to, for instance, the desktop, then you have saved a file in a folder other than the default location. If you were to say, shut down your computer, or even just close the Word program, the next time you open it and save a file, it will default back to the My Documents folder. Most people here were trying to explain to you what happens, and with that sometimes there is a necessity to explain why as well. It helps make the explaination of what happens clearer. I know that when people explain what happens to me, explaining the why helps me better understand it. Perhaps if you were open to such a listening technique, you would not make the incorrect statements you have made in this post. Just trying to help.

Edited by GreatCanadian

VoltageHz,

You were the one who stated that:

"All programs (at least every program I've ever used) already do exactly that, they put all of their folders under the program folder. I've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory, NEVER. There is no reason for Garmin to do it this way, none whatsoever." (emphasis added)

My response was to this erroneous statement. Yes, indeed, you can change the directory that documents are stored in. However, many applications create these subdirectories in the My Documents directory. Whether you use them or not is your choice, but your statement that you've never had a program that puts a directory into the My Documents directory struck me as rather unlikely.

It wasn't an incorrect statement, I have never had it happen to me. That is what I said, that is a true statement. What kind of know-it-all are you to try and tell me what has happened to me??

If you were a man you would admit your error here, instead of continually calling what I said an "erroneous statement", which it most certainly is not (unless your magic ball can tell you what happens in my house).

One last minor quibble, you accused me of misusing the term Windows (you called it a "misnomer"). Windows didn't create the AdobeStockPhotos, My eBooks, My Garmin, Retrospect Catalog Files, TurboTax or Updater subdirectories in my My Documents directory, their respective applications created them (via Windows, the OS, of course).

That is why I clearly said this:

"Out of your list, any of the programs I use never put a file or folder into the My Documents directory. Windows is the operating system, it created My Documents and the directories inside of it, so using Windows in the way that you did is a misnomer, and it only did it once anyway."

Notice the first sentence, that is what covers the programs such as "AdobeStockPhotos, My eBooks, My Garmin, Retrospect Catalog Files, TurboTax or Updater". These are programs on your list, any of them that I used (such as photoshop) have NVER put a folder into My Documents.

If you simply read what I said you wouldn't be here arguing, but apparently the only reason you are here is to argue and make up lies about me, so what's the use in humoring you?

The answers were DIRECTLY related to your post. Also, you are incorrect in stating that it only defaults there once. That is the case for some programs, and not all, as you state.

ALL PROGRAMS THAT I HAVE USED, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THAT? WHY DON'T YOU PEOPLE COMPREHEND THIS?
If you start Microsoft Word with it's default settings, and save a file to, for instance, the desktop, then you have saved a file in a folder other than the default location. If you were to say, shut down your computer, or even just close the Word program, the next time you open it and save a file, it will default back to the My Documents folder.
Never happened to me, not once. For I don't know how many years, anytime I tried to save in Word it always saves to a document directory I have on the C drive. But I guess I am wrong and you are right, huh?

Most people here were trying to explain to you what happens, and with that sometimes there is a necessity to explain why as well.
I know what happens, I said what happens in the first post. I just don't want it to happen. That is the question which trolls like you have ignored from the start.

It helps make the explaination of what happens clearer. I know that when people explain what happens to me, explaining the why helps me better understand it. Perhaps if you were open to such a listening technique, you would not make the incorrect statements you have made in this post. Just trying to help.

Why don't you take a job teaching somewhere if you want to lecture all your knowledge? Naw, that's not a good idea. If a student asked you how to add two numbers, you would apparently tell him about the war of 1812.

Funny you should say that. I am actually a computer software instructor. I teach things like editing a registry to change default file storage locations.

Oh god you got me! Now you are going to act as if you were going to help me (instead of troll) and I spoiled it! Oh what will I do??

Liar. Go away.

Edited by VoltageHz

Funny you should say that. I am actually a computer hardware/software instructor. I teach things like editing a registry to change default file storage locations.

Funny you should say that, GreatCanadian! :blink: Until I retired almost two years ago, I did training for PC users (both Windows and Macintosh) on a part-time basis, and did a combination of network administration and webmaster stuff full-time.

On the subject of changing the Registry, I just did an exhaustive search of my registry to see if there might be some entry that the OP could change that would make them happy. Unfortunately, there are a zillion entries for Garmin software and hardware, but not one that points to the My Garmin directory. I'm guessing that the directory name is hard-wired in Garmin's applications, and that there is probably no easy way to change this setting.

--Larry

Funny you should say that. I am actually a computer hardware/software instructor. I teach things like editing a registry to change default file storage locations.

Funny you should say that, GreatCanadian! :blink: Until I retired almost two years ago, I did training for PC users (both Windows and Macintosh) on a part-time basis, and did a combination of network administration and webmaster stuff full-time.

On the subject of changing the Registry, I just did an exhaustive search of my registry to see if there might be some entry that the OP could change that would make them happy. Unfortunately, there are a zillion entries for Garmin software and hardware, but not one that points to the My Garmin directory. I'm guessing that the directory name is hard-wired in Garmin's applications, and that there is probably no easy way to change this setting.

--Larry

Yes, the registry is difficult enough to pick through without 10,000 entries from Garmin!! I have never tried to change Garmins default folder through the registry. I am surprised that you coudn't find an entry, but then i checked and neither could i...garmin's default folder can be edited through mapsource anyway. i THINK it is originally blank, and perhaps that's why there's no registry entry.

As for the computer part, I do not do enough to my liking in the area of Network administration, although that is perhaps what interests me most. Currently, between the bouts on this post, I am setting up an exchange server. It's the first time I've set up Exchange Server 2003, and I don't think I like the setup process!! I think it's something I'll leave for a Friday afternoon!

Hello again Larry....Just out of curiosity, I opened Mapsource and changed the default directory to the My Garmin folder. There is now a data marker for My Garmin in the Registry. This could be edited. I don't know if it would fix the problem of Garmin always creating the My Garmin folder. I may give it a try.

Edited by GreatCanadian