how do you choose...

kimnbair

I collect coins from states I've visited in or cached in. I collect personal coins of cachers I know. I like event coins which either translate well in terms of place (Great Smoky Mts) or activity (the recent night cache corn maze event coin) or event (9/11 September Geoswag, Katrina) OR an event I've attended.

There are many beautiful coins that tempt me, too, but there is a connection somehow for me to purchase them. I bought the train set because my dad had a minature train set-up in the basement when I was a kid and it brought back fond memories.

Well there are a lot of agengas out there for coin purchase. As many reasons as coins probably. Some buy state coins they cache in and some buy every coin in every metal. I purchase what I like and sometimes have to trade for some if money is an issue. It is expensive but is a lot of fun. Don't ask me why, I can't really explain it, but remember when you were a kid and someone sent you a package in the mail just for you. It's that kind of feeling.

Everybody buys for different reasons.

I buy state, country and organization coins and the occasional coins that *I* think are caching related (APE, CITO, Signal, etc.).

I don't buy personal coins or everything that comes out just because it has a tracking number on it (surprise there, right gang? :laughing: )

For you: Buy whatever tickles your fancy.

Do you just buy any an all geocoins you come across, I was wondering for example with the state coins do you buy all of them, or just in the state you live in or have visited? I need some sort of idea!

Pick an idea. How about collecting ones with flowers on them. :laughing:

I am sooooooo addicted! :laughing: I have tried to only buy trackables with an icon. Then I saw the Sandollar & I had to have it! ................

My goal is to get as many coins as I can out in the wild & I think the icon really helps! I have completely lost control. :laughing: I'll buy almost anything. I try not to. I really, really do! There is just something about getting those things in the mail, finding them in caches, getting e-mails from people who have found them, that gives me a warm fuzzy. :laughing: It's embarrassing!

Well I'm not sure what I want to do I haven't actually found a coin in a cache yet, but i did find a jeep and that was exciting. I just purchased my first geocoin which is the suncatcher one from crake (sp?) It seems really pretty so I'm gonna start there.

well it will be such a buzz when you do! that's why we started- we found one - not so thrilling - then we fouund a new shiny one! So that's what they look like! Then we wanted to give the same buzz to others. I like to buy pretty coins to leave in caches - usually untrackables but leave the occaisional trackable activated then adopt is out. then we started hoarding them because they are so cute and educational. i will give up takeaway food - this is healthy addiction. If you smoke chuck it and use those funds :blink:

Being a born & bred Southern redneck, I first started by grabbing every coin that I could afford that was produced by groups and cachers in the South. :blink::huh::huh::(

But now I buy coins that are appealing to me.

Geographic location is a non-essential requirement to me now.

If I like it, (and can afford it :( ) I buy it.

Like someone else stated above, if it has a matching pin it gets rated high on my "like it" requirement.

Suggestion... If you can afford it, buy "at least" two of each coin that is being sold in limited quantities.

Then, after a while, you will have a collection of your own, PLUS a stash of no longer being produced desireable coins that you can barter trades for, for more sought after coins that you happen to miss due to not having the available funds at the time or just not lucky enough to catch when they are presented for sale before they are sold out.

D-man :(

Hi, We would call ourselves "Newbies" when it comes to coins too, It would be easy to go crazy :blink: as there are masses of coins to choose from. We decided to only buy coins that we really like, ones that catch our eye when we first see them. So far all of our collection is trackable, this allows us to share them at events so fellow cachers can enjoy seeing a range of coins and log them if they wish. Crakes "Suncatchers" are great coins to be starting a collection with.

I guess the biggest thing is that it all comes down to $$$

I have just started collecting the coins and at first i was just going to buy one or two that i liked, then i saw one or ten more that i liked and now i have 29! :blink: most of them are trackable but a couple arn't. I am bassically collecting those that i like (this seems to be a common idea) being english i am not overly interested in the state coins but having said this there are a few states that i have visited so i may be tempted in the future :huh: i think it is a great (if expensive!) hobby and i love collecting the icons as much as the coins. I am now in the process of getting my own coin minted and am quite excited :huh:

I started with buying our orgazination coin (wi-geocaching). Though I had found a couple USA geocoins prior to that and moved them along.

Then I mistakenly found the forums here.... I don't know how many I have, though the trading list in the sig gives an idea.

I started buying right when they seem to have really taken off like crazy.

My initial plan was to get them from states we've been to, but many didn't have them yet, and then I didn't know if there would be any for the others that we hadn't been to by the time we got to them. so I started buying all the state and regional coins. Then afew of the others, then too many... then I quit buying. Had our own made, trade it for other personal coins, leave it as nice swag. I did just order the AGA, but mostly I've just been trading lately.

What it really comes down to is, buy what you want to buy :huh: the idea of getting some extras for future trading is good also. (I've done that from the start) You could also, *gasp*, release some to travel :blink:

I just buy coins that appeal to me.

It is a sick addiction, I buy all that I like, which seems to be too many, the ones that mean something personally to me, and any that support a good cause, even though we are not supposed to support any agendas. Glen

I agree with both of these members. Eye catching, thats the name of the game! But I also warn you that the collecting can be expensive. Another way is to create a personal coin and sell some of them but also keep some of them for trades this will make it so people will offer their personal coins for yours, it's kinda like exchanging business cards if you will. This will greatly enhance your collection. Also A word of advice DO NOT activate the coins you are going to keep in your collection and not set free you may come to regret it later (voice of experience).

Also A word of advice DO NOT activate the coins you are going to keep in your collection and not set free you may come to regret it later (voice of experience).

While I agree with you for the most part, I don't agree that you can't activate them. I activate mine, but I will never sell them. I like adding the icons to my profile. I like that I can take my coins to event for people to discover. But I hold no illusion that I could ever sell them and get even remotely what I paid for them.

Also A word of advice DO NOT activate the coins you are going to keep in your collection and not set free you may come to regret it later (voice of experience).

While I agree with you for the most part, I don't agree that you can't activate them. I activate mine, but I will never sell them. I like adding the icons to my profile. I like that I can take my coins to event for people to discover. But I hold no illusion that I could ever sell them and get even remotely what I paid for them.

I guess I didn't clarify that. I meant if you ever wanted to sell them. But like joni said if you never plan to sell them it wouldn't matter.

There was a time (only about 11 months ago) where this question would have been meaningless---at that time you could buy them all!!! I think there were less than 50 trackable coins and almost no personal coins were sold. Plus thay cost $5 or $6 then!

I kept that up until about March of 2006 when the number of coins issued dramatically increased. When suddenly coin series started to appear, I had called it quits on trying to get everything. I still got state and country coins but that was generally it. The occasional cool coin or personal coin from a cacher I knew. I still got the big event coins (DGeowoodstock and Midwest Geobash) but mostly to match first issue of these event coins.

Maybe a more interesting question would be what's a reasonable number of coins per month or year to buy?