print out hints

nixno9

Hi..Ok I think I'm hooked.Got a Gps went out on my first one could not find,went back and printed out the hint and took my daughterand boyfriend...We found it..and found a second one near by...got boyfriend hooked :-)

My question is.... Do you have to print out the hint info or is there another way to get it..maybe on the gps( I have a Garmin 60c)...Sure don't want to have a big stash of paper...and another question is..what is the easiest way to get waypoints when you out of the city or state...? planning on going to the pacific ocean in a couple of weeks(oceanshores washington)

Thanks for all the info :laughing:

Edited by nixno9
Do you have to print out the hint info or is there another way to get it..maybe on the gps( I have a Garmin 60c)...Sure don't want to have a big stash of paper.

If you become a premium member you can have cache pages sent to your e-maill account where you can use a variety of applications to load them to your PDA or pocket PC. Cachemate is one popular application that allows you to do this. Eith it, you can choose to have the hint automatically decrypted if you choose.

THere is also a way using an app like GSAK to put the hint info on your unit in the comment field, but you are limited to 33 (give or take a few) positions, so any longer hints won't fit

and another question is..what is the easiest way to get waypoints when you out of the city or state...?

Again, for premium members, pocket queries are great for obtaining waypoints in a certain location. All you need to know are the zipcode, coordinates or the waypoint name of a cache at your destination and you can run a pocket query and obtain up to 500 caches from that location.

If you are a non premium member you can just run a zipcode or coordinates search for your destination on the search page and get a list of the nearest caches, but you are limited to only dowloading one page of results at a time.

Check the local libraries, many of them have computers available. If you are not a resident of the place you are visiting, most libraries will have something in place to let guests have some time on their computer.

I have found some motels will have a computer that is available to guests. Also coffee shops and other such places sometimes will have them.

It is better to have a laptop, and/or a palm pilot, but until you can get one, you could try the above.

if you don't have a palm, you can get a palm IIIxe off ebay for 10-20 bucks or from walmart.com for under 30.

you can get a month's premium membership for 3 bucks, and that will let you get an ebook of the caches sent to you with all the hints available. it's an amazing value.

I have every cache, description, and log within 60 miles of here in there... it's so convenient. I can't say enough about how great it is. I was so happy, I bought a newer palm off ebay... (though I think I got scammed on that one, since i haven't gotten it yet.)

you can also get other software to make it even easier and better.

If your not a Premium member just decript the hint and write it in a notebook.When you are out of your area just start a new search with the zip code of the nearest town or city.

I am using GSAK and Garmin GPSMap60Sx. I read somewhere you can use %hint and put in notes to download but I don't know how to do this. Does anyone here? It was mentioned in the original post on this thread as to whether it is possible to download into the GPS.

If your not a Premium member just decript the hint and write it in a notebook.When you are out of your area just start a new search with the zip code of the nearest town or city.

I am using GSAK and Garmin GPSMap60Sx. I read somewhere you can use %hint and put in notes to download but I don't know how to do this. Does anyone here? It was mentioned in the original post on this thread as to whether it is possible to download into the GPS.

Please see item 11 of GSAK FAQ in the help file or online here http://www.gsak.net/help/hs1070.htm

if you don't have a palm, you can get a palm IIIxe off ebay for 10-20 bucks or from walmart.com for under 30.

you can get a month's premium membership for 3 bucks, and that will let you get an ebook of the caches sent to you with all the hints available. it's an amazing value.

I have every cache, description, and log within 60 miles of here in there... it's so convenient. I can't say enough about how great it is. I was so happy, I bought a newer palm off ebay... (though I think I got scammed on that one, since i haven't gotten it yet.)

Now I finaly figured out how to use the palm..just wanted to see if I can download a cache,I did so,but it seams like I can only keep 9 in my memo..Is there another place on the palm to put more in ....Thanks

Now I finaly figured out how to use the palm..just wanted to see if I can download a cache,I did so,but it seams like I can only keep 9 in my memo..Is there another place on the palm to put more in ....Thanks

How small is your memory? I have probably over a thousand pages on my palm and its only 8 megs.

How small is your memory? I have probably over a thousand pages on my palm and its only 8 megs.

it suspose to have 8 mb ...I must be doing something wrong...Do you put them under the Memo icon or do you put them somewhere else?...I got the Palm IIIxe of ebay what software do you recomend to download onto the palm,maybe that is where the problem is..Ty

Edited by nixno9

it suspose to have 8 mb ...I must be doing something wrong...Do you put them under the Memo icon or do you put them somewhere else?...I got the Palm IIIxe of ebay what software do you recomend to download onto the palm,maybe that is where the problem is..Ty

use Cachemate

http://www.smittyware.com/palm/cachemate/

its great and has a free trial.

Download it, if you like it, its only 8 $

For a tutorial on it http://www.smittyware.com/dl_redir.php?dl_...amp;dl_type=zip

extra this tutorial and run index.html.