Man... am I frustrated. no caching for 6 weeks! :(

wolfbait

On saturday I started to have stomache pains at 3. Eventually the pains grew to the point where I couldn't stand upright. Around 4:30 I was taken by my mom to the ER. There I was diagnosed with apendicitus. (excuse me if I spelled that wrong) By 11 I had my appendix in a jar heading to pathology and me heading for recovery. Now the doctor says I can't do any physical activities for 6 weeks... what a bummer.

Beats death from a burst appendix.......

I had to send my GPSr in for repair so I can't cache for a couple of weeks but I'll survive. Of course I also have to devote a couple of weekends (at least) to building a deck with wheelchair ramps. I'm not a carpenter and it really isn't my cup of tea but it has to be done. At least I don't have the "I need to run out for a FTF -- NO, I need to build this deck" issue.

Look at it this way: You had your appendix removed and can't cache for 6 weeks. My son broke his neck and will never walk (or a great many other things) again. See? It isn't really so bad now is it?

Sorry. That really wasn't very nice of me. I know it sucks to be laid up. I've had a number of surgeries and I never enjoyed the recovery time. However, I do try to keep things in perspective and realize that my troubles -- even though they seem pretty big to me -- aren't really all that big in comparison to the things other folks have to deal with.

Edited by Thrak

Beats death from a burst appendix.......

I had to send my GPSr in for repair so I can't cache for a couple of weeks but I'll survive. Of course I also have to devote a couple of weekends (at least) to building a deck with wheelchair ramps. I'm not a carpenter and it really isn't my cup of tea but it has to be done. At least I don't have the "I need to run out for a FTF -- NO, I need to build this deck" issue.

Look at it this way: You had your appendix removed and can't cache for 6 weeks. My son broke his neck and will never walk (or a great many other things) again. See? It isn't really so bad now is it?

Sorry. That really wasn't very nice of me. I know it sucks to be laid up. I've had a number of surgeries and I never enjoyed the recovery time. However, I do try to keep things in perspective and realize that my troubles -- even though they seem pretty big to me -- aren't really all that big in comparison to the things other folks have to deal with.

YES, your comment might have not been nice at all but it is pretty much true... thanks for you encouragement and I am sorry about your son. Back to the caches asap though :laughing:

Sorry to hear you are going to be stuck in an inactive state. :laughing: I suppose you can spend the time increasing your forum post numbers! Not sure if that is good or bad though..... :ph34r::laughing:

The off topic area can provide hours of fun. It requires premium membership though.

Edited by carleenp

On saturday I started to have stomache pains at 3. Eventually the pains grew to the point where I couldn't stand upright. Around 4:30 I was taken by my mom to the ER. There I was diagnosed with apendicitus. (excuse me if I spelled that wrong) By 11 I had my appendix in a jar heading to pathology and me heading for recovery. Now the doctor says I can't do any physical activities for 6 weeks... what a bummer.

Get a second opinion. I was told that I only had 6 months to live, so I got a second opinion and that doc

said the same thing, so now I can cache for a whole nother year ; ) <insert groan>

Get well soon!

Get a second opinion. I was told that I only had 6 months to live, so I got a second opinion and that doc

said the same thing, so now I can cache for a whole nother year ; ) <insert groan>

Get well soon!

Ummm... cant quite get a second opinion after they cat scan me and confirm appendicitus, cut me open, take my appendix, staple me shut, and put me on pain meds. What are they going to do put my infected apendix back in place lol

Get well soon!

Ummm... cant quite get a second opinion after they cat scan me and confirm appendicitus, cut me open, take my appendix, staple me shut, and put me on pain meds. What are they going to do put my infected apendix back in place lol

No, no, no, find a doctor who says you can go caching now!

Take this time to learn how to use GSAK. Not just a little bit but explore how incredibly useful this tool is. In that way you can do "vicarious" geocaching during your down time. When you are ready to go out again you can have a wealth of knowledge that many seasoned cachers don't have.

Check out the program, post in the GSAK threads, ask Clyde for info and help. Turn your down time into an opportunity to school yourself in the use of this great tool and you will (hopefully) find that it helps pass the time while giving you a truly useful training course. Hey, it can't hurt and will likely be of great benefit to your caching experience.

Best of luck in your recovery.

They told me the same thing...I was out of caching for a week!

:laughing:

I recommend that you ask the surgeon for clarification on the activity restrictions. As an OR nurse, that restriction seems a bit much, unless all the caches you do involve strenous hiking and such. And you should not be driving if you are taking pain meds. I think I was out and about a couple of weeks after a C-section. So double check which activities the doctor means. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I had just the opposite experience last year. Emergency gall-bladder surgery, and on discharge they said, "no restrictions on activities or diet." Wow!

I said: "Really? I can go back to work in a couple of days? And go skiing this weekend, as planned?" The nurse was shocked: "No! You just had surgery, we took out an organ. You have to rest for a couple of weeks!"

A bit confusing. I took one week off work, walked instead of skiing that weekend (not much snow anyway), and was back to normal in 10 days.

Six weeks definitely sounds like overkill, but I'm not a doctor.

I just had Gall Bladder surgery with no real restrictions. Unfortunately I had hiccups 17 times in 25 hours after surgery ( I don't recommend that at all) so I felt pretty beat up, but was out (with meds) at a town festival on the second day. No meds after 5 days. Could not lift the camping gear out of the closet so canceled the camping trip on day 7. Ten days after surgery I sneezed and did not cry so I figured I was healed, but I declined to help a neighbor move furniture. I found that the pain meds may not have been really helpful. When the pain was less I did more, which made the pain worse when the meds wore off. I think if I had used less pain meds early on I would have done less and healed faster so take it easy the first week and maybe your second week will be a more amazing transformation then I had. I was shocked day by day on little things like sitting up from laying on my left side, tying my shoes without putting them on the coffee table, coughing or sneezing without the feeling of a red hot knife being plunged into my gut. :laughing:

I wish you a speedy recovery.

GEO.JOE

Cheesus Thrak. That's terrible. Really terrible. Sorry to hear that. I used to work on a spinal cord injury unit so I know it's a tough road for someone to face.

I was going to have a pity party and complain how I've been recuperating from a broken leg for one year so far but after Thrak's post I really thank my lucky stars it wasn't worse. I've often worried about ending up a para or quadraplegic since my accident.

I don't know the medical details of what you had done vs. big Ben but:

"Roethlisberger returned to practice, just 10 days after having an emergency laparoscopic appendectomy."

I would think being a pro quarterback is a little more trying than a couple park and grabs :tired: .

You'll be back soon! Keep positive!

hey all,

just an update. Today I decided to not take the pain medication. I went through all of school today with little pain. things are looking good, be caching as soon as mom lets me.

Oh yeah and just a side note, do you think my doctor would approve of me climbing through a window, onto a roof and retrieving a football.... don't ask you do some pretty darn crazy things in highschool

hey all,

just an update. Today I decided to not take the pain medication. I went through all of school today with little pain. things are looking good, be caching as soon as mom lets me.

Oh yeah and just a side note, do you think my doctor would approve of me climbing through a window, onto a roof and retrieving a football.... don't ask you do some pretty darn crazy things in highschool

No....and the doc wouldn't approve you not taking the pain meds either!

Just do what he says alright....you'll escape a world of hurt that way! Trust me, I know.

Oh by the way, to keep this a geocaching topic....get well so you can cache somemore? :mad:

hey all,

No....and the doc wouldn't approve you not taking the pain meds either!

Just do what he says alright....you'll escape a world of hurt that way! Trust me, I know.

Oh by the way, to keep this a geocaching topic....get well so you can cache somemore? :mad:

How do you know the doc is a he?

I feel your pain -- I will be having a baby any day now (c-section scheduled for the 16th) and I know I will not be allowed to drive for at least two weeks and not be allowed any physical activity for about 6 weeks -- not looking forward to being housebound -- especially since my daughter will be wanting to "go bye-bye, Mommy can we go geocaching" every day of that six weeks. Hang in there, and if you need to pain meds tomorrow -- take them! I quit mine too early after the last c-section and ended up right back on them -- no shame in that. Hope you get to feeling better soon -- and no more footballs! You'll be back to geocaching before you know it -- it IS an obsession, ya know.

Well, hopefully this'll make you feel better - My wife and I just had a baby, so that'll definitely cut down on the free time. Being in a cold-weather environment (Chicago) I don't anticipate caching again until after the holidays - babies take a lot of time and cold weather+baby=not cool. I know I'm an over-protective wuss, but still...We should form a support group...

--MGB

I was out for 2 months due to my own stupidity! Left my gpser at a cache site and never found it again. Had to wait two months to buy a new unit! During that time, three cahes popped up within two miles of my house! The agony!

Got my new unit last week, but now I'm stuck at home grading papers for the term that just closed :laughing:

If you really want to cache . . . in bed, you CAN!

There are many virtuals that are designed to be done via research & PC, sans a visits to the location. I have done a dozen or so of them, just for fun on days when it was impossible to go out.

Some are in Germany, some are here . . . the Germans do ours all the time, as they speak American better than we speak German.

Check it out . . .