Paperless caching with a Palm Zire 31

Team JSAM

Ok I have GSAK loaded on my comp, and cachemate in my palm now what. I have been reading and reading but cant seem to figure out what to do next, I was going to fallow the instructions on geocacher-u but I could not get the Plunker software to download right.

I keep getting an error from GSAK: "You cannot create a file here, that folder does not exist" when i try to export.

Thanks in advance!

Jake

Team Jsam

Edited by Team Jsam

:laughing: Good choice. You're gonna be happy about it.

What is the folder path that you are trying to write the .pdb file to? Are you writing to your computer or to a data card?

(I'm assuming you have loaded a database of caches into GSAK and then selected File->Export->Cachemate PDB file.... correct?)

EDIT: Also, be sure to check out the GSAK support forums for more info!

Edited by Cache Heads

Ok, here's a down and dirty basics how-to for using GSAK and Cachemate. I will backtrack some for logical reasons.

Assume:

- You already have your Pocket Querys unpacked and ready to load.

- GSAK is installed and configured

- Cachemate is loaded on your Palm and configured

- You're using Cachemate for Palm OS

GSAK:

1) Ensure you are in your desired GSAK database. The database selector is in the upper right hand corner of the window, or is accessible under the "Database" pulldown menu.

2) Open GSAK and select "File > Load GPX/LOC File"

3) If you are going to load the whole folder with child waypoints, make sure to click the box at the top of the dialog that offers the option to load a folder instead of one file ("Load a folder of files")

4) Right below that option button is a pathname for the file or folder you are loading. Select the "Open folder" icon on the far right of the box to open the "Open" dialog. Select your file or folders and click "OK"

5) Ensure the "Clear database before loading" checkbox is NOT checked on the left side unless this is what you want to do. All the default options for this dialog should be just fine.

6) Your waypoints will be loaded and you will see a status screen

Exporting to Cachemate:

7) IF YOU ARE USING CACHEMATE FOR POCKET PC (which you're not in this case, but just for reference), SKIP THESE STEPS AND EXPORT THE FILES AS A GPX FILE. THE CACHEMATE PDB FILE WILL NOT WORK ON POCKET PC.

8) Select "File > Export > Cachemate PDB File"

9) You can choose whether to include child waypoints in the first set of checkboxes. I recommend excluding them unless you divide them into a seperate category. Cachemate does not support showing child waypoints under the listing for each cache, so it makes them semi-useless.

10) The next dialog allows you to choose the OUTPUT file. Select the "Open" folder icon on the far right of this dialog and CHOOSE A LOCATION FOR YOUR FILE. This must be on your harddrive or other media that is NOT your Palm. Do NOT do anything with the "Most Recently Used File" dialog. < DOUBLE CHECK THIS STEP

11) Select your checkbox options below as to how many logs you want, hint options, container, etc. Also make sure you check the "Install to Palm after conversion" option.

Installing into Cachemate:

12) Given you have the Hotsync software for palm running, you can doubleclick this file and choose to put it on your internal memory or SD card if available. Hotsync as normal.

13) Run Cachemate on your Palm and it will detect this file. Choose the category to put the caches into. It will merge load them and give you a status report.

DONE!

Most likely, your problem lies in either loading the GPX file, or even more likely the location of where you are putting your Cachemate PDB file (perhaps not setting a file location).

Let me know if this was useful. As always, feel free to tack on things. If anyone finds this useful but would like screen shots, let me know and I can arrange to post screenshots of all the steps.

Good luck!

Hybridgeek

Thanks hybridgeek! I've been super busy these past couple days and haven't had very much time to post...

And, Team Jsam, definitely check out that GSAK support forum (link in above post)-- tons of good info there. Also, if you are still having real issues, I'd contact Clyde at GSAK (dot net) for help. I'm sure he'd be able to get you going.

In any case, stick with it! Once you get the GSAK/CacheMate combo working for you, you'll be so glad you took the time to learn it and make it work :tired:

EDIT: Hey, looks like there's a new version of GSAK out today! :blink:

Edited by Cache Heads

Ok, here's a down and dirty basics how-to for using GSAK and Cachemate. I will backtrack some for logical reasons.

Assume:

GSAK:

1) Ensure you are in your desired GSAK database. The database selector is in the upper right hand corner of the window, or is accessible under the "Database" pulldown menu.

3) If you are going to load the whole folder with child waypoints, make sure to click the box at the top of the dialog that offers the option to load a folder instead of one file ("Load a folder of files")

4) Right below that option button is a pathname for the file or folder you are loading. Select the "Open folder" icon on the far right of the box to open the "Open" dialog. Select your file or folders and click "OK"

5) Ensure the "Clear database before loading" checkbox is NOT checked on the left side unless this is what you want to do. All the default options for this dialog should be just fine.

Exporting to Cachemate:

7) IF YOU ARE USING CACHEMATE FOR POCKET PC (which you're not in this case, but just for reference), SKIP THESE STEPS AND EXPORT THE FILES AS A GPX FILE. THE CACHEMATE PDB FILE WILL NOT WORK ON POCKET PC.

9) You can choose whether to include child waypoints in the first set of checkboxes. I recommend excluding them unless you divide them into a seperate category. Cachemate does not support showing child waypoints under the listing for each cache, so it makes them semi-useless.

10) The next dialog allows you to choose the OUTPUT file. Select the "Open" folder icon on the far right of this dialog and CHOOSE A LOCATION FOR YOUR FILE. This must be on your harddrive or other media that is NOT your Palm. Do NOT do anything with the "Most Recently Used File" dialog. < DOUBLE CHECK THIS STEP

11) Select your checkbox options below as to how many logs you want, hint options, container, etc. Also make sure you check the "Install to Palm after conversion" option.

Good luck!

Hybridgeek

The bold section above is not needed. GSAK handles .zip files just fine. So step 3) can be omitted also (child/additional waypoints are included in the zip file). In step 4) just select the PQ zip file.

You can also "drag and drop" the .zip file into GSAK. Either the desktop icon (if not running) or the GSAK tab on the taskbar.

Edited by The Jester

Assume:

GSAK:

Exporting to Cachemate:

12) Given you have the Hotsync software for palm running, you can doubleclick this file and choose to put it on your internal memory or SD card if available. Hotsync as normal.

13) Run Cachemate on your Palm and it will detect this file. Choose the category to put the caches into. It will merge load them and give you a status report.

DONE!

Most likely, your problem lies in either loading the GPX file, or even more likely the location of where you are putting your Cachemate PDB file (perhaps not setting a file location).

Let me know if this was useful. As always, feel free to tack on things. If anyone finds this useful but would like screen shots, let me know and I can arrange to post screenshots of all the steps.

Good luck!

Hybridgeek

Thank you so much I got 250 listing loaded thanks so much for taking the time to type all this up!

One more thing when I am in cachemate and I try to search by waypoints it does not give me the wpt number just the cache name.

Also how do I delete the listings from GSAK when I am done?

To list caches by waypoint number, first open Cachemate and make sure it's in List mode (showing you a list of caches rather than the details of a particular cache). Then open the top menu and select Option... List Options. In the List Options dialog box, uncheck "Display waypoint as name" and "When sorted by waypoint". That should cause the waypoints list to show waypoint numbers ("GC....") instead of waypoint names. You can also control what extra information to display in the list by choosing from either "Waypoint" (waypoint name) or "Diff/Ter" (Difficulty/Terrain rating) from the Extra info: dropdown list.

As to deleting a listing from GSAK, normally you just don't need to. The next time you load a new GPX file, check the "Clear database before loading" checkbox. That will wipe out the existing records and replace them with the new query results.

--Larry

I downloaded maccmconvert and it gave me some filepath error..... now my palm won't sync sad.gif sad.gif Anyone know how to fix this?

Hmm... sorry ossumguywill, no mac expertise here.

If your GPS and Palm are both serial, perhaps the CMConvert locked your serial port or damaged the drivers resulting in the Palm not hot syncing. If they are both serial, try playing with removing and reinstalling or somehow otherwise resetting your serial port (??can you do either of these on a mac??).

Unless it's a hardware issue, I'm not sure I could make a guess as to any kind of connection between the two software packages that would cause a problem like that.

Just a guess there. I'm not familiar with the Mac hardware interface layers. Good luck!

-Hybridgeek

Edited by hybridgeek

Does anyone know how to clear the "queue" for files waiting to hotsync?

On a PC, you open up the "PalmOne Quick Install" program under Start > Programs > Palm Desktop. That usually will give you access to most of the programs or files you or many other programs will queue up for the next hotsync. I have encountered some cases where programs will add them, but they won't appear. Hope that helps! Good luck! (Hope this applies to Macs too)

-Hybridgeek

Does anyone know how to clear the "queue" for files waiting to hotsync?

On a Mac go to ... in order ... /Documents ... then /Palm ... then /Users ... then the /name of your device ... then /Files to install

... the /hard drive if a LifeDrive or /(SD) card, where you'll find the files waiting to go to the device on next HotSync.

Oooops . . . Norm

Edited by RRLover