About placing a geocache..

sandman825

and i'd like to add to this: what about near a bank, in between schools, around bridges, etc

No. Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

Off-limit (Physical) Caches : Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Are you allowed to place a geocache in the water, that you would have to get to by a small boat? I thought it would be cool to have one that you had to get to by kayak or canoe.

Absolutely - just be sure the terrain is a level 5.

and i'd like to add to this: what about near a bank, in between schools, around bridges, etc

Um, no.
Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):
  • Caches on land maintained by the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges)
  • Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other “pointy” object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
  • Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a clue or a logging method.
    Caches placed on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans.
  • Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
  • Caches near or on military installations.
  • Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Nothing wrong with near a bank, or near a schook or near anything else. It's when it's Inside the Bank, On School Grounds etc.

Unless we have an exclusion zone of 100 yards around these things. But that's not something I've heard about.

Banks are not in and of themselves high risk terrorist targets. Not any more so than most all other public businesses. Which is to say all of them can be a target. Just not higher risk than say the Superbowl.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Nothing wrong with near a bank, or near a schook or near anything else. It's when it's Inside the Bank, On School Grounds etc.

Not true. Reviewers will turn down caches that are too near schools. They don't necessarily have to be on school grounds. What is "near" is a judgement call, but generally if cache hunters can be clearly observed from the school it will raise an alarm with the reviewer.

so if caches are not allowed near bridges........ i did find a cache near a bridge, Luckie's Stash (GCNKYR), near McKees Rocks, PA

edit: its not on the bridge but on the hill next to it

Its not necessarily all bridges. Bridges that don't carry traffic, or rural bridges that carry very little traffic may get an exception.

Edited by briansnat

Are you allowed to place a geocache in the water, that you would have to get to by a small boat? I thought it would be cool to have one that you had to get to by kayak or canoe.

Plenty of those caches. Go for it.

T5 if it's boat or scuba gear only.

Thanks

So should I say that it is in the water when I fill out the cache description?

Plenty of those caches. Go for it.

T5 if it's boat or scuba gear only.

Thanks

So should I say that it is in the water when I fill out the cache description?

Use the attributes. There is one for boat required. It should also be 5 stars for terrain because a boat is special equipment.

Not true. Reviewers will turn down caches that are too near schools. They don't necessarily have to be on school grounds. What is "near" is a judgement call, but generally if cache hunters can be clearly observed from the school it will raise an alarm with the reviewer.

If near is an issue, near should be defined in exact terms. 20' 200' 2000' or whatever it's going to be. To much "it depends" is involved otherwise. My cache near a school was fine. Because of the location, the container and everthing else.

Near the structure of the bridge is not a good idea. We had a bridge get shut down about 30 miles north of Boise, ID because of a cache that was suspected of being a bomb.

Some more history on that cache.

First, it was never listed as it was still being developed. Odds are it would not have been approved becaue it was a bridge on a major highway.

Second the responce is beyond the control of the cache owner. I've had caches turned in as drug stashes. Why is it a suspected drug stash for one responce and a suspected bomb for another? I gurantee that the cache owner will get a different treatment by the authorities for each type of responce and yet it was the authorties who chose how to respond. (In my training for observing these kinds of things I have been very specificly instructed to not pass judgment but to pass on information and let those who's job it is to decide the respons to decide the responce).

Third. It's been pointed out that some bridges are fine. The key isn't the bridge it's the likelyhood of generating a responce that causes public disruption.

Fourth. If you take time to read what a high risk terrorist target is virtually everthing under the sun in the human environment is. That gets us back to the third point. Otherwise everthing would be banned except wilderness areas.