Cheapest GPSr WITH map software?

parker313

Hi, I think I've finally decided that I'm going to get my mom a GPSr for Christmas. I know that I want to get her the full map software as well - I had a unit without maps before and now have one with maps and it makes such a big difference (for me).

I can sort out the Magellan and Lowrance units but there are so many different Garmin units that it kinda makes my head spin.

Any help would be most appreciated :) Right now, I'm leaning towards the Lowrance iFinder Pro or H20.

You can get the Magellan eXplorist 210 for $133 at Amazon. For less than $20 more (after a $50 mail-in rebate) you can get the Garmin Venture cx.

The Magellan has a black and white screen; the Garmin screen is color.

The Magellan has 22 mb of available memory; the Garmin accepts microSD cards, which allow you to add a gig or two, if you need it.

Both units come with basemaps with major highways.

If you are looking for the "cheapest," I think it's the Magellan. However, the Garmin may be a better value.

Disclosure: I just bought a Venture cx after considerable research. But my choice is not necessarily right for you.

-ArtMan-

Thank you ArtMan :)

I know most models come with basemaps - I'm interested in the most bang for my buck to include the FULL mapping software, like MapSource, MapCreate, etc.

I can find the Lowrance iFinder Pro Plus (Plus meaning including the card reader and MapCreate) for $200 at a couple of different online stores.

OK, follow up question...

What Garmin units have at least a base map or are compatible with MapSource? I can't tell from their website if their "basic handhelds" have any kind of a basemap or are compatible with MapSource or if I need to get a "Mapping Handheld" for that. I don't need autorouting, just maps.

Thanks!

--Kristin

PS - Right now, the leading contender is the Lowrance iFinder Pro Plus at Salesource for $163.

Hi parker.

If you didn't already "pull the trigger" at Amazon, there are two other Lowrance deals that you may want to consider (I was looking for the best deal on a Lowrance with mapping software recently too!)

Cabelas has the iFinder PHD plus for $199

www.cabels.com

The other deal (the one I bought) is the discontinued iWay 100M for $139 + FREE shipping

at shipdog.com:

Direct link to iWay 100M at Shipdog

I love the 100M so far - the autorouting and turn-by-turn is a GREAT bonus. Excellent unit *WITH* mapping software for $139 was my "best-bang-for-the-buck"

Thanks y'all, I have already purchased the iFinder. It was one of their used product options, which explains the deep discount. It's not normal Amazon price.

minorIntrusion - The iFinder Pro, PHD and Map and Music are actually older versions. They're basically the same as the iFinder H20, but aren't waterproof to IPX7, just to IPX2. No biggy b/c it comes with a clear waterproof pouch. I already have the iFinder Pro and have been very pleased with it :unsure:

She'll be using it for geocaching - she's been out with me a few times. She's never used a GPSr before, so she doesn't have any preference. I'll show her how to use it and if I can show her on a GPSr I'm familiar with and am comfortable with, then that will make me that much more of an effective teacher :mad: