And Now for Somthing completely different......

There was a GPS that had quad maps some time ago. It created quite a spash, was very expensive, and then dissapeared.

I like the idea, but I still want my Auto Routing Overlay for driving. The memory needs of this GPS are going to be stiff but that's the price you will have to pay for arial photo's and quad maps.

Hopefully all GPS makers start seeing the advantge of this type of map "Wallpaper".

I didn't see quad maps on thier demo, and I didn't see what GPS stuff the GPS actually does. Just the layering they want to sell you on.

Yuck. I just looked at the "Map Credit" pricing. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. I want to pay once for my map for North America and never pay again until it's time to update my maps.

Edited by Renegade Knight
A lot of nice features that other manufactures may want to incorporate like the "screen layering" concept. It'd be nice to have the compass on screen while looking at the map.

Lowrance units show the navigation needle on the map screen. It's in the corner rather than superimposed on the map screen. I think I like that better.

liked the looks of it until I saw that there is map credits needed to be purchased to get maps on the unit, you can buy an Unlimited Annual Subscription for $79. also looks like only 12 mapsets can be loaded at one time.

Only thing I really hope this does is push garmin to make some more advanced gpsr.

Saw this thread a half hour ago, and just ordered one from amazon. I started writing a handheld version of ExpertGPS a few years ago for geocaching - we'll see how this measures up.

It's priced low enough, but I can't find anything at all about how many waypoints it stores and simple things like that. They talk about Topo but don't show anything.

Maybe in a week you can check back in and give us an update on the real device and not just the WOW part?

160 x 240-pixel 16-level gray screen

Not much screen for picture display.

or

320 x 240 pixel full-color LCD screen
, which sounds better.

Stores up to 500 Waypoints, 20 Trails and 10 Routes

Not the greatest

The base unit says only 15 images, which is pretty useless. I run raster topo maps on my iQue and 15 images does not go far. For this to run well base on my experience with the iQue, they need some serious processor power and the ability to hold tons of data.

I started using something kind of like it on my pocket pc. It is a program that I downloaded called BackCountry Navigator. Neat idea, uses the Terraserver maps and photos. Instead of stumbling over telling you how it works, here is the LINK and you can poke around for yourselves. I'm still in the trying out phase, haven't ponied up the $30 for the permanent version. So far it has worked for me though. You have to create a user login to download the program, but it isn't needed for the Software Tour.

I hope the black and white aerial photos shown in their store aren't the ones they are selling. I was curious about how fresh the imagery was. In my area (NW Chicago Suburbs), it looks like they are using 1998-1999 aerial photography from the USGS NAPP project. Classic case of a company getting data for free, putting it into a proprietary format, and charging people for it.

I just noticed that their color "satellite" imagery (probably aerial photos again, but satellite sounds sexier) is of newer vintage. Perhaps 2003, just an educated guess. But will the color images be larger in terms of file size, further limiting the amount of coverage you can carry?

I imagine this handheld will need a faster processor than a normal handheld to render the maps and aerial imagery in an acceptable amount of time.

Now that Bushnell has this offering, I wonder if that will spur DeLorme to release their handheld. I have more faith in DeLorme putting a quality product together than Bushnell.

What happens when your in the middle of nowhere and the system crashes leaving you with no data/maps?

Could this happen? It does'nt appear to store the maps but gets them in real-ish time.

It stores the maps, but if you are in the middle of nowhere you shouldn't be putting all your eggs in the same battery powered basket. A paper map and magnetic compass is pretty cheap get home insurance.

I'm currently using Google Maps on my Treo 650; has street maps, satellite and aerial photos, and point location and driving direction generation. Sort of like a compact version of Google Earth, tho' no link yet to GC's kml's. The data rate on the 650 is more than adequate for the data load. When the link is built to access gps data from the phone, this will be a crackerjack application.

I already use external GPS bluetoothed to the Treo for quick car access to the cache area; SMS for receiving Insty Notify with realtime aural alarm; and web access to the log caches in the field. Needless to say, I occasionally use the phone for "phone a friend" help.

Definitely worth looking into as a supplement to the basic GPS.

Well, if my 7 years of experience selling Bushnell products is worth anything...

I wouldn't touch it!

If I compare any Bushnell products to any other mainline manufacturer of the same type of product, Bushnell loses every time. Nope...I would even take a Magellan over one of these! :huh: Ha!

I have you beat, I sold Bushnell/Bausch and Lomb for about 20 years. I would not buy any of their products for my own use.

Just an update - my "estimated ship date" from Amazon came and went, and the site still shows "usually ships in 7-10 days". Other retailers show "backordered 2-4 weeks."

At this point, I'm not expecting anything to arrive before Jan 1.

At first, look nice. BUT ? Besides I don't see much info on their site regarding the chipset. For an outdoor device, sensitivity is the biggest point. It is when I am in the deepest brush/densest cover that I REALLY need to know were I am !

Memory doesnt seem to be expandable.

Just an update - my "estimated ship date" from Amazon came and went, and the site still shows "usually ships in 7-10 days". Other retailers show "backordered 2-4 weeks."

At this point, I'm not expecting anything to arrive before Jan 1.

Amazon's latest:

Bushnell Onix 200 GPS Navigation System

Updated Shipping Estimate: December 20, 2006 - January 3, 2007

Updated Delivery Estimate: December 27, 2006 - January 11, 2007