It's Not About the Numbers!

I just looked up my file, and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!! I love it already. I haven't had time to do a lot of searching but is their a way that I can get html codes and put them on my profile?

It's not there yet, but it's high on the to-do list.

Right now, I'm not sure what to do about exporting the graphs. There's a bit of bandwidth and processing power spent when they're generated (especially with that county map). If you try to link to one directly from your profile page right now, you've noticed that it doesn't work.

I'll probably develop some nice looking tables first, then once I see how far uploads are pushing my monthly bandwidth limit, I might start to add in some of the basic graphs.

Background of "Horatio" comment.

Somehow we've managed to take a thread that's discussing a potentially very useful resource, and discussing a legitimate question about the website's Terms of Use, and transformed it into a thread questioning the sexual preferences of people who choose to log event caches more than once. So, fine work there. :laughing: Hold whatever opinion you want about that practice, but why not cover that issue in a separate thread, and in a way that questions the practice, not the people who follow it?

You got it wrong Lep. The disussion was about finds vs. unique finds and the ratio between them.

I referred to this as the "Horatio", as in "number ho"-ratio, like multiple logging of events to jack ones

numbers up NOT a slap at sexual preferences or pointing out that WJTB. Thanks for bringing that piece of history up though it makes the notion even funnier.

ROTFLMAO! :laughing::laughing::) That's rich! It would be even funnier if people didn't get banned on account of these wild leaps of logic.

With all due respect to the effort that was invested into creating this program, I don't like that it makes individual stats public. Even if it was not intended, it forms the basis for an unhealthy competition. Scoring against aggregates is interesting but I don't think that geocachers should be comparing their numbers with other individuals. I hope that TPTB will discourage this practice as they have done in the past.

With all due respect to the effort that was invested into creating this program, I don't like that it makes individual stats public. Even if it was not intended, it forms the basis for an unhealthy competition. Scoring against aggregates is interesting but I don't think that geocachers should be comparing their numbers with other individuals. I hope that TPTB will discourage this practice as they have done in the past.

One of the benefits of a central app is that data comparisons like this are possible. I really don't want to get in a debate about geocaching as a hobby vs. geocaching as a competition. As I stated in the OP, some people could care less about their numbers, other are interested. This program is for the second group.

Obviously, is TPTB do not want this sort of number comparing going on, I'll certainly respect their wishes, otherwise I intend on keeping individual stats public.

I just looked up my file, and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!! I love it already. I haven't had time to do a lot of searching but is their a way that I can get html codes and put them on my profile?

It's not there yet, but it's high on the to-do list.

Or maybe just people being able to link to their stats page on your site from their profile. You know, Click here to see my stats at itsnotaboutthenumbers.com

Or would that kill your bandwidth?

Background of "Horatio" comment.

Somehow we've managed to take a thread that's discussing a potentially very useful resource, and discussing a legitimate question about the website's Terms of Use, and transformed it into a thread questioning the sexual preferences of people who choose to log event caches more than once. So, fine work there. :laughing: Hold whatever opinion you want about that practice, but why not cover that issue in a separate thread, and in a way that questions the practice, not the people who follow it?

You got it wrong Lep. The disussion was about finds vs. unique finds and the ratio between them.

I referred to this as the "Horatio", as in "number ho"-ratio, like multiple logging of events to jack ones

numbers up NOT a slap at sexual preferences or pointing out that WJTB. Thanks for bringing that piece

of history up though, it makes the notion even funnier. This thread needed some drama. Is that a llama I see...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I know, lame, but I couldn't resist. There is some drama though. Someone actually changed their username to "We Quit", and mailed Horatio to Jeremy? People need to lighten up.

To stay on topic, the Counties thing is awesome, good job Cheeseheads.

<snip>I'm probably also going to implement something to expire "stale" stats.

Would you expect that much change? If they found it, then they found it.

3) I would like to compare my stats to others in my caching area. Could the progran assume that the country/state/county I have the most finds in would be my home caching turf? I realize there will be exceptions for people who cache more away from home, but it would still be useful to see.

Something I've thought about. For example, a screen with a list of states. You could click on "Nevada" and see a list of everyone who has either a majority of their finds in Nevada, or who has ever found a cache in Nevada. Is that sort of what you mean?

Yes, either way would be cool. Altough I would prefer something a bit narrower than the state, such as County. Although County could be too small.

Either way, I'm probably not going to spend much time developing the site until I hear back from Groundspeak on whether everything is legal or not.

I'm behind you. I realize the stats comparisons aren't perfect, but they are cool to look at.

Cheeseheads, this looks great.

But, i havn't been able to get my zip file to upload? I got the query, didn't unzip it, bowsed to it, hit the submit button, and it looks like its loading. However the page that comes up afterwards is either blank or says something to the affect that the header cant be modified or something or other. Something to do with AOL maybe? Thanks in advance!

Ok, editing to add that i got it to work. Looks like the problem had something to do with AOL (i shouldn't be surprised). Anyways, i downloaded it straight from my Gmail account and bypassed AOL alltogether. Worked like a charm this time.

Edited by Mudfrog

After further review by Groundspeak's legal representative, it was determined that technically, this site does violate the TOU for use of Geocaching data. However, because of the manner in which I handle the uploaded data to ensure that it cannot be accessed by anyone, "Groundspeak is willing to provide [me] with a data license to use the Pocket Query GPX files in [my] web based application."

The agreement is currently being drafted, but pending any terms that either side can't agree to, it looks like this site is free to exist!

Love the fact that it breaks out finds by county. I have a map on my profile page that lists all the PA counties I've found caches in, and keeping it up to date is a real pain. With this app, I was able to make a much-needed update in just a couple minutes.

Edited by DocDiTTo

This is very cool! I downloaded my query and perused the site, I like it a lot. There is one thing I don't understand though. It's this:

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 2796.8 miles (4501.01 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

What is that tracking? Did I encounter a hiccup or am I just misinterpreting the information?

This is very cool! I downloaded my query and perused the site, I like it a lot. There is one thing I don't understand though. It's this:

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 2796.8 miles (4501.01 kilometres) (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

What is that tracking? Did I encounter a hiccup or am I just misinterpreting the information?

It means that if you were to travel from cache to cache for all your finds, that's how far you'd travel. (Approximately.)

After further review by Groundspeak's legal representative, it was determined that technically, this site does violate the TOU for use of Geocaching data. However, because of the manner in which I handle the uploaded data to ensure that it cannot be accessed by anyone, "Groundspeak is willing to provide [me] with a data license to use the Pocket Query GPX files in [my] web based application."

The agreement is currently being drafted, but pending any terms that either side can't agree to, it looks like this site is free to exist!

Congrats! I hope to see the HTML cut and past version soon.

I'd very much like to see HTML cut and paste code that I can put in my profile, which would make the county map show up on my profile, and update it as I upload new PQs of my finds. THAT would be cool.

But even without that, ya done good. I'm highly impressed. It is functional, compiles data into interesting stats, and looks pretty stylish and very clean.

Ya done good.

Great. I'm impressed.

Had two caches with unknown counties but the update module worked great. The map didn't show, but it probably would not have helped anyway. I looked the areas up in Google, pointed to the county name and, viola, there it was.

Thank you.

I uploaded mine last night and have just been looking through them.... very very nice :blink::huh:

I will check the GPX when I get home but its showing I have done one in Austria !!! I have never cached abroad so not sure what that is (stray locationless maybe).

It would be nice to link to your own stats ie

http://www.itsnotaboutthenumbers.com/stats.php?cacher=deego

Keep up the good work :huh:

It means that if you were to travel from cache to cache for all your finds, that's how far you'd travel. (Approximately.)

Well now, don't I feel foolish. Thanks!

Very nice program.

And I see that I have 105,000 crow-flies miles logged. Probably could add 15 or 20% for road curves, and then... Hey, wait a minute! I don't really want to figure out how many gallons of gas that took, do I?.

I must be brain dead this AM. I can't find where the mileage is calculated :blink:

It will be in the section at the top of the stats page where it shows your total finds, average difficulty, etc. It won't actually appear until the next time you update your stats, however.

Very nice program.

And I see that I have 105,000 crow-flies miles logged. Probably could add 15 or 20% for road curves, and then... Hey, wait a minute! I don't really want to figure out how many gallons of gas that took, do I?.

I must be brain dead this AM. I can't find where the mileage is calculated :blink:

It will be in the section at the top of the stats page where it shows your total finds, average difficulty, etc. It won't actually appear until the next time you update your stats, however.

Ah thanks. :huh:

Guess I must have done something wrong. It doesn't show any of my finds since May. Hmm...

Really? They all seem to be there when I look at them...

Hmm... Then check my stats and see what I've done since May? I used the new download that I requested the other day. It has me at 788, while I'm almost to 1000. And doesn't color in any of the counties that I visited on my trip to Maine this summer. Oh, well. (Is there anyway to enlarge that county map?)

Hmmm, now I get the same error msg in both browsers. Does anyone want to tackle this one?

Warning: unlink(/home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/files/774087-wpts.gpx) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php on line 61

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php:61) in /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php on line 64

Thanks,

skeg

Hmmm, now I get the same error msg in both browsers. Does anyone want to tackle this one?

Warning: unlink(/home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/files/774087-wpts.gpx) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php on line 61

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php:61) in /home/krugdm/public_html/itsnotaboutthenumbers/processgpx.php on line 64

Thanks,

skeg

That looks like the message i kept getting when i tried to upload using the AOL IE browser. AOL automatically unzips the file when it is downloaded and even though it leaves the zip file intact, i thought that this was somehow causing the problem. I finally tried downloading straight from gmail using Outlook Express and it worked great.

But then again, a friend of mine got hers through AOL email then uploaded to the site using the AOL browser. Hers went through just fine. In otherwords, i have no idea what's going on! :laughing:

I guess I'll wait til TPTB chime in before I do mine.

One thing though:

1) If I click on a person's name that's already added theirs, I don't like having to click again to view them (with the "stats for so-and-so are loaded. Take a Look" message).

Makes sense to me.

I see you made this chagne, but if I do the "enter your Geocaching Name to view previously uploaded stats" it still gives me that intermediate step.

Not a HUGE deal of course, but still kindof inconvenient.

I uploaded mine a couple days ago and then got sidetracked so I didn't get to looking at it until now. But yeah, this is great, and perfect for what I've wanted to see since I started. I too would love to be able to get the HTML code for my profile or a way to link to it.

Although it's really not about the numbers, and it's not a competition, are there any plans to do any kindof...how to say this.....record holders? All the information is there (since it's public), but takes some digging. I just find that stuff interesting is all.

For instance, on the Terrain/Difficulty comparison, there are lines for "All Average Terrain min/max" but doesn't tell you who that is. I don't really care that I'm not the highest or lowest, but am curious who is. Sure I could find it out by digging through all the names, but it would be handy to have that info available. Some other things that I would be curious about:

1. highest find count
  2. highest unique find count
  3. Most non-unique caches logged (although admittedly this would probably be used for less-than-honorable means, so it's probably not a good idea unless you omit who it is and just give the number)
  4. daily find rate
  5. cache-to-cache distance (if you divide the total by the number of unique finds to get an average, it would give a better description...actually that would be a good stat to have on your individual statistics also).
  6. Best day
  7. Highest percentage of finds by difficulty/terrain (i.e. who has found the highest ratio of 5 terrain caches?)

Just some thoughts that are bound to make me unpopular, but still some stuff I would be interested in seeing.

Oh, and in addition to the average cache-to-cache distance, would it be possible to give the "distance between your two most distanct caches" stat? For instance, my furthest cache is probably in Florida in one direction, and Canada in the other direction, but how far are those two apart from each other?

Edited by ThePropers
Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 331,935.45 miles (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Is this right? I can think of about 40,000 miles in long caching trips, but that still leaves 275,000 miles for 700 caches all within 100 miles of my house. the only traveling cache I've found is still within 400 miles of here

I uploaded mine a couple days ago and then got sidetracked so I didn't get to looking at it until now. But yeah, this is great, and perfect for what I've wanted to see since I started. I too would love to be able to get the HTML code for my profile or a way to link to it.

Workin' on it! :laughing:

Although it's really not about the numbers, and it's not a competition, are there any plans to do any kindof...how to say this.....record holders? All the information is there (since it's public), but takes some digging. I just find that stuff interesting is all.

I'm figuring out a better way to do the name list. Currently, you can click on the column headers to sort by that stat.

Oh, and in addition to the average cache-to-cache distance, would it be possible to give the "distance between your two most distanct caches" stat? For instance, my furthest cache is probably in Florida in one direction, and Canada in the other direction, but how far are those two apart from each other?

I think I'll leave the spherical geometry to Fizzy...

Approximate cache-to-cache distance: 331,935.45 miles (Excludes locationless and known traveling caches)

Is this right? I can think of about 40,000 miles in long caching trips, but that still leaves 275,000 miles for 700 caches all within 100 miles of my house. the only traveling cache I've found is still within 400 miles of here

I see you have multiple finds out west. Did you get those all at once, or were they on multiple trips?