Request for category uniformity - requirements

This is likely a repeat of another thread, or at least a gathering of the content that has appeared in other threads. But now that we have moved into the next phase of Waymarking, it is time to consider the longer term application and ease of use.

What I am suggesting, as many others have in various forms, is that we all agree to some common elements for the creation and logging of Waymarks. These would be in the category description naturally since the Leader (and their minions) determine this stuff. These are just the 'core items', not the extra bells and whistles. This also is not about Variables as that would be far too involved to discuss here.

Here are my suggestions:

Creating a New Waymark listing:

Required

• Provide accurate coordinates of the location
  • Provide a minimum of one image and have one set as the default
  • Provide a detailed description of what may be found at the site

Logging a Visit:

Required

• Description of your Visit to the site

Optional (to be determined by category leader)

• Image taken by you at the site

My reasons for some of these are...

• Requesting more than ONE photo will result in people becoming frustrated due to inconsistent requirement
  • The image for visiting should be flexible. Some people don't want their 'face' shown, or requesting a GPS may seem silly to some

Certainly there may be a need for a verification of visit, and if they upload an image that they took while they were there it should be enough. This way everyone can take any style of picture, not that "Well this category wants a GPS in the photo", "This category doesn't want a GPS in the photo", "This category wants to see your face in the photo", "This category wants to see you participating in the activity at the site"...

Keep it simple "Provide an image that you took while visiting the Waymark site" applies to all categories (except 'Best Kept Secrets' of course).

I've probably missed some details, that everyone else is free to add :)

All we are saying here is, let's get a consistent template together so that when people are going out to Waymark they will be able to know that somethings are the same across the board.

:) The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar
Creating a New Waymark listing:

Required

• Provide accurate coordinates of the location
  • Provide a minimum of one image and have one set as the default
  • Provide a detailed description of what may be found at the site

Logging a Visit:

Required

• Description of your Visit to the site

Optional (to be determined by category leader)

• Image taken by you at the site

My reasons for some of these are...

• Requesting more than ONE photo will result in people becoming frustrated due to inconsistent requirement
  • The image for visiting should be flexible. Some people don't want their 'face' shown, or requesting a GPS may seem silly to some

Certainly there may be a need for a verification of visit, and if they upload an image that they took while they were there it should be enough. This way everyone can take any style of picture, not that "Well this category wants a GPS in the photo", "This category doesn't want a GPS in the photo", "This category wants to see your face in the photo", "This category wants to see you participating in the activity at the site"...

Keep it simple "Provide an image that you took while visiting the Waymark site" applies to all categories (except 'Best Kept Secrets' of course).

I've probably missed some details, that everyone else is free to add :)

All we are saying here is, let's get a consistent template together so that when people are going out to Waymark they will be able to know that somethings are the same across the board.

:) The Blue Quasar

I'm in agreement - K.I.S.S. Your outline definitely does this. If we want people to log visits, the site needs a simple standard.

J.A.R.S.

Yes – K.I.S.S.

I had a visitor to one of my waymarks.

He wrote a nice log and posted a great picture.

Picture didn’t meet the Category requirements.

He was an Officer for that Category.

He may be an Officer in 1 to X number of Categories but as a visitor, he couldn’t remember what the requirements were for one of them. I have waymarks in almost 160 Categories, and I sure can’t remember what the “Visit” requirements are for all of them. But, I do my best when reviewing the visits.

If we delete every “Visit” that’s WRONG and ask them to do it over, soon we’ll see nothing but “Notes” or we’ll see nothing.

If one of my personal “Visit”s is removed for failure to comply with requirements, I’ll post a courteous “Note” and log my visit as a note and explain that I couldn’t “Visit” because I forgot “X”. Maybe the waymark owner will forward it to the category owner if he gets enough of them.

We, as visitors, who will soon be sorting through 400 to 500 category requirements, can’t change those requirements. But we can put pressure on the waymark owner, who will then put pressure on the Category group to change the rules.

Of course we’re doing that here in the forum also.

What I have been saying all along was that the "Visits" belong to the "Waymarker" as only he/she can delete a visit or note.

I as a "Category" owner can not delete any "Visits" but am usually allowed to request certain logging requirements.

I agree with "The Blue Quasar" that there should be consistentency in the submissions for "LOGS & VISITS"

Probably T.P.T.B. have to set up a simple request for logging visits so we all know what to expect when we find someone elses "Waymark"

This one was requested by one "Category" (obviously no "Notes" allowed)

The only requirement is to visit this location physically, in person, and write about your experience.

..and this one gets me :) Log Instructions: Post a picture of yourself in front or near the mural with your gpsr or wearing/using some sort of GC or caching equipment.

chstress53 Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

I agree that Logging & visits to waymarks needs consistency across the board, but I do not believe that creating waymarks, needs to be as rigid.

True.

I'm not really pushing a 'rigid outline', more of a 'basic guideline' so that almost everytime people go out they can meet any requirements needed by doing a few select items that is standard to everything possible.

Kinda like "Sign the logbook"....

:laughing: The Blue Quasar

True.

I'm not really pushing a 'rigid outline', more of a 'basic guideline' so that almost everytime people go out they can meet any requirements needed by doing a few select items that is standard to everything possible.

Kinda like "Sign the logbook"....

Right, and anything else would be optional. For instance in the Arboretum category we say

In addition, but optional, you may include a a photo and latitude/longitude coordinates of a favorite tree/shrub specimen.
Just something to make the experience of visiting the arboretum a little more fun if the waymarker has the time.

J.A.R.S.

I agree the logging requirements for a 'visit' ought to be standard and simple. I've run into others' waymarks while making my own but had to log notes instead of visits because I didn't take a 'self-potrait' and I just think gps pictures are kind of silly and don't add anything to the waymark.

the op is right on target....

but in creating a mark there can be multiple needs--

-for a historical marker you need a pic of the plaque

-for a library you need a pic of the building & sign stating such (if not able to ledgibly do it in the same frame)

-for a masonic lodge you need a pic with your gps

it is getting harder and harder to rember ALL OF THIS every day--in addition to, have i marked/visited that already. in the peer review ideal Waymarking is founded upon, if i have missed something (i forgot to take a close up shot of the clock dial/gps with the object) those that visit my mark can help to fill these gaps and errors in information presented--while hopefully adding new info as able.....

Just for consistency, I decided to check my Libraries description.

Please post an image of the library building that includes the name of the library or similar signage, and make it the default image. If you cannot capture both aspects in one image then you may post an image of the library as the default image, but you must also provide an image of the library name on the building or sign at the site, in the gallery for the listing.

While it can be true that this might seem like two photos, it is only if one doesn't cover the building and the name of the library. But I see your point and for my categories I will see if I can streamline as I am asking others to do.